Leaked: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 specs and images

Emil

Staff

One Chinese website has posted a purported spec sheet for the Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 and another Chinese website has posted two images of the graphics card. Have the Chinese essentially leaked Nvidia's latest and greatest? The card should be announced next month, but we likely won't see it till February 2011.

According to Chiphell, the GTX 580 will feature 512 CUDA cores, most likely arranged in 16 SMs of 32 SP each. The shader clocked will be at 1544MHz while the core clock will be at 772MHz. The GTX580 also has 1536MB/384bit of GDDR5 memory, with the memory frequency set to 4008MHz, memory bandwidth up to 192.4GB/sec, and texture fill rate at 49.4billion/sec. The net result is an expected performance jump of 20 percent over the GTX 480.

Two pictures (above) of the company's forthcoming flagship product, based on the codenamed GF110 GPU, have supposedly emerged on PCinlife. It's hard to verify whether these images are legitimate, but the graphics card certainly does not look like anything that is currently available from the company or its partners. The quality of the pictures suggests that they were taken from an official presentation by the company. Two DVI-I outputs as well as an HDMI connector are visible, and the cooling system is sizeable.

Permalink to story.

Is it just me or does China seems to be the major source of tech leaks?

As to the actual topic I can't wait to see how the next generation of Nvidia GPUs will do.

Hmm looks interesting. Now I'm considering ebaying my 480's or hoping this new card drops before the step up program is no longer valid for me from evga.

20% faster than a 480, eh? Very nice - now let's talk about the heat and power consumption which are the major drawbacks to the 480.

Also, at what point does the cost justify the return? Look at the midrange cards like the GTX 460 and the Radeon 6870 that can already play any game out there at max settings while getting sky-high frame rates. How much sense does it make to shell out an additional $250-$300 for a card that will provide zero gain in return?

Wtf? 500 series already? I remember we played with the 200s for the longest time. Anyway, my 465 is gonna be with me for a while, especially when it gets it's twin brother. :D

@BlindObject better buy it before they stop selling it. or you try going for 2x460.
BTW is it just me or amd and nvidia have been in sync for some time now?

here we go the battle started again AMD got 6xxx Nvidia will not sit and watch nope here we go 5xx

thats good i guess we will see more prices drops for the mid/old cards like 58xx and 68xx also nvidia gtx 4xx

which already can run most games @ max settings :)

Wtf? 500 series already? I remember we played with the 200s for the longest time. Anyway, my 465 is gonna be with me for a while, especially when it gets it's twin brother. :D

my brothers owns a 265, he found out it has just as much memory hiding under the hood as a 470. He flashed it and now windows recognizes it as a 470.

It seems the we are getting the new cards but not the right programs that can actually utilize the entire power these babies provide.

TomSEA said:
20% faster than a 480, eh? Very nice - now let's talk about the heat and power consumption which are the major drawbacks to the 480.

Also, at what point does the cost justify the return? Look at the midrange cards like the GTX 460 and the Radeon 6870 that can already play any game out there at max settings while getting sky-high frame rates. How much sense does it make to shell out an additional $250-$300 for a card that will provide zero gain in return?

Again that 'max settings' comes up. Reality is.. at 1920x1200 it will play all games without Anti aliasing. There are probably a few to several games that 4x would be too much and possibly even 2x. To me max settings includes Anti aliasing.

Also the Geforce 580 might have some pretty steep competition once the Cayman cards come out.

supersmashbrada said:

my brothers owns a 265, he found out it has just as much memory hiding under the hood as a 470. He flashed it and now windows recognizes it as a 470.

I think you mean a 465*. And yeah, I've been thinking about that, but I'm scared I'll brick it..

cant wait to see the actual stats on this =) And for the heat and power comsumption, i think they got it covered since the new gf110 version. only time will tell tough

I am really excited about this launch. I have been rocking a pair of 8800 GTXs for forever now and have been patiently waiting for a substantial upgrade. Hopefully this will be good enough to purchase out right. If not then I plan to catch a GTX 480 as the price falls.

I just can't imagine Nvidia dropping the ball again on efficiency with this come next year considering how badly they got hammered. Now lets hope that they keep on schedule and don't fall behind once again since they are already playing catchup in terms of time.

It is the factory of the world...

Indeed, you hit the nail right on its head, perhaps without actually going into detail what it meant for Uncle Sam ...... it is the reason they have become 2nd largest economy and destined to become # 1 in couple of decades; and also it is the reason that US economy isn't and wouldn't be recovering as it should. Frankly this one fact which won't be told by any of the politicians from both gangs who are taking turns to make matters worse over there, economic freedom in reality has become 'economic disorder' for this generation; just as once cultural freedom became 'cultural disorder' in 60s. Anyway its a different debate for a different time.

So back to the card, it may turns out to be slightly faster than 6970 Radeons but lets wait and see till there are some in-depth reviews get out in the wild with both of these products launched.

The GTX480's life span was way too short, not to mention it wasn't very succesful, unfortunately nVidia is just trying to catch up on the game...

After a big delay of their DX11 Line-Up, now is where the real product battle begins, for the best of us "customers" receving high quality product from their figth...Sweet

Cueto_99 said:
The GTX480's life span was way too short, not to mention it wasn't very succesful, unfortunately nVidia is just trying to catch up on the game...

I don't really under stand where this stance that Nvidia is trying to play catch up is coming from. Their line up from the GTX 460 on up is quite competitive performance wise. They may not be as efficient but heck how many people have purchased 1kw PSUs? Besides if they already have such a level of performance but are so inefficient imagine what we can expect from them when they bring performance/watt in line. I guess I am just sick of hearing of people bash on one company or the other. We want them both to be releasing powerful cards as quickly as possible.

just as AMD takes hold of #1 graphics card with Radeon 6970, Nvidia strikes back with GTX 580. Honestly they have to work on their GTX 460 to offer performance of the radeon 6800 series

you can heat your house with it, i'm pretty sure about that...

20% better efficiency over GTX 480 (less leakage, better interconnects -transistors/via's- between silicon layers) is the figure doing the rounds. 250w max (board + VRAM) under Furmark/power virus.
As a comparison, Cayman XT (HD 6970)- the GTX 580's logical competition- is touted as being 255w and possibly a little more. AMD's own literature lists the part as being "<300w" . I'm sure if the card was sub-250w then the slide deck would read "<250w".

No such thing as a free lunch....at least as far as enthusiast graphics stretching (and exceeding) the capabilities of the 40nm manufacturing node.

Back