LG 27GP850 Review: Faster, Clearer, Better

To me, 1440p is just as pointless as 8K (the latter is pointless for different reasons though). Why would you release a display standard with a mere 33% bump? It's around as much of a bump as it was from DVD-Video to 720p. Yet everyone accepted that 720p is just a stop-gap, and (thankfully) died out pretty quickly. Not so with 1440p. It all happened due to the fact that 1080p became stagnant with ever decreasing margins, and manufacturers couldn't (or wouldn't) lower prices of 4K equipment quick enough for them to become widespread.

And here we are in 2021, almost 10 years after 4K becoming an ITU standard, celebrating 1440p monitors. I blame it on

a) AMD's lackluster performance for many years in the GPU market, slowing down innovation due to lack of competition
b) GPU mining / scalpers, making GPU companies not care at all, as stockholders don't put names on buyers, all they see is depleted stocks for years in a row
c) this wonderful stop-gap measure dubbed 1440p, making customers feel it's okay to keep such an outdated standard alive for so long

Today, 4K 60 FPS should be the absolute minimum, and 4K 120 FPS the norm for any recent decent PC build. Not "auto-scaled" 4K, not "checkerboard" 4K, not 4K "somewhere between 30 and 60 FPS", I mean the REAL THING. 4K 60 FPS. Why is it such an issue? How many more years will it take to get there?

Last edited:
To me, 1440p is just as pointless as 8K (the latter is pointless for different reasons though). Why would you release a display standard with a mere 33% bump? It's around as much of a bump as it was from DVD-Video to 720p. Yet everyone accepted that 720p is just a stop-gap, and (thankfully) died out pretty quickly. Not so with 1440p. It all happened due to the fact that 1080p became stagnant with ever decreasing margins, and manufacturers couldn't (or wouldn't) lower prices of 4K equipment quick enough for them to become widespread.

And here we are in 2021, almost 10 years after 4K becoming an ITU standard, celebrating 1440p monitors. I blame it on

a) AMD's lackluster performance for many years in the GPU market, slowing down innovation due to lack of competition
b) GPU mining / scalpers, making GPU companies not care at all, as stockholders don't put names on buyers, all they see is depleted stocks for years in a row
c) this wonderful stop-gap measure dubbed 1440p, making customers feel it's okay to keep such an outdated standard alive for so long

Today, 4K 60 FPS should be the absolute minimum, and 4K 120 FPS the norm for any recent decent PC build. Not "auto-scaled" 4K, not "checkerboard" 4K, not 4K "somewhere between 30 and 60 FPS", I mean the REAL THING. 4K 60 FPS. Why is it such an issue? How many more years will it take to get there?

In no particular order:
  • * Lack of 4k content
  • * Lack of (consumer-level) GPU power
  • * Lack of standard cable connections with sufficient bandwidth
  • * Panel cost
  • * Not everyone values resolution over refresh rate

That's why 1440p is still kicking strong. Not to mention it (usually) takes years to go from "standards approved" to "mass market".

To me, 1440p is just as pointless as 8K (the latter is pointless for different reasons though). Why would you release a display standard with a mere 33% bump?
What "33%"? (1440p has +78% more pixels) than 1080p. A sizeable jump and desirable sweet spot for many.

It's around as much of a bump as it was from DVD-Video to 720p. Yet everyone accepted that 720p is just a stop-gap, and (thankfully) died out pretty quickly.
It's called deprecating gains. One could calculate that 8k vs 4k is the same upgrade in percentage terms that 640x480 was over 320x240, but that hardly means the improvement is the same on a 27" monitor the same way the jump was huge for the latter on CRT's at the time. Especially if it involves swapping smooth frame rates for a slide-slow during the same year no-one can buy a GPU...

Today, 4K 60 FPS should be the absolute minimum
Absolute nonsense. A wide variety of monitors is needed, low, med & high plus Ultrawide to fit a wide variety of needs. Only control freaks disagree with that statement and for some strange reason monitor reviews always seem to draw a disproportionately large amount of the "I just bought myself a 4k toy. Therefore everyone should be just like me and I want to ban everything that isn't what I use" dumb epeen sneering out of the woodwork.

How many more years will it take to get there?
There's nowhere to "get to". You simply buy for your needs as do others. If someone only needs 1080p or 1440p, that's up to them, for the same reason it would be laughably dumb to try and ban A4 sized printers simply because A3 printers exist.

I'll say it straight - half the 4k monitor owners on Techspot need to stop being such whinging control freaks thread-crapping on every 1080p / 1440p monitor review. It gets very old, very fast and literally no-one who owns a 1080p / 1440p monitor and is happy with it cares about lame ego p*ssing contests anymore.

You still cannot run demaning game at high FPS at 4k "in genera"l, so therefore 4k is for most gamers is a way to high resolution. DLSS and FSR could help speed up the transition, but we are far from there yet. But we are pretty far from being there, 4k 60 ? if I start playing my FPS games at 60-70fps I will die alot more, no thanks. I would want at least 100fps with no micro stuttering with frame sync OFF.

To me, 1440p is just as pointless as 8K (the latter is pointless for different reasons though).

Respectfully, this comment is pointless.

1440p is still the best balance between sharpness/detail and performance for current GPUs. We're getting to where most 4k games will have a minimum acceptable FPS but we're not quite there yet, not for AAA at high settings. 60FPS is not an acceptable minimum standard FPS for that immersive smooth feeling IMO. Things start the get that very smooth look around ~90FPS, at least on monitors.

And, the perceptual sharpness difference between 1080p to 1440p on a 27" monitor is much greater than 1440p to 4k in games.

Today, 4K 60 FPS should be the absolute minimum, and 4K 120 FPS the norm for any recent decent PC build.

And we have found out that the majority of people prefer to have choices, because not everyone wants to pay >$1K for a 4K/120 monitor.

And another >>$1K for the video card to run it. Which doesn't exist:

average-fps_3840-2160.png

Bviktor said

Today, 4K 60 FPS should be the absolute minimum, and 4K 120 FPS the norm for any recent decent PC build.

Your comments have been rightly criticised

I'm going to add my SJW comment -
Just look outside your window , or cross those railroad tracks to the other side of town - or understand that a lot of people are struggling to put food on their table.

Most people in the world would be super happy with 1080p monitor with 60Hz and some cheap games of yesteryear .

Actually unless you play online flavour of the day . The smartest gamers moneywise play at least 2 years behind and buy GOTY on serious discounts - or those that buy a Nintendo game new and sell it after finishing it for near the same price .

Even if we are all rich - why would we need what you think we want ?? there are many genres of gaming ?

I don't have to worry about money - I'm retiring in 2 weeks at 56 - still do some fun one off jobs - You probably don't as well - be happy not angry.

As for those on lesser systems - I read a great quote "Comparison is the thief of Joy"
Is one of the reasons I can retire early - I don't need an expensive car or big house or 5 star hotel- fancy clothes

PS I actually have a LGN950 4K monitor and they are not cheap - but I don't need it to have lots of fun- it was just a luxury treat for my family

Last edited:

I hate to tell you this...but your "4k" monitor isn't even 4k, it's only 3.8k. That means 4K 60 doesn't even exist either. I'm sorry you've been lied to. Hopefully you don't blame AMD for this also.

Very weird https://www.techspot.com/review/1908-lg-27gl850/

all response times tests on 27gl850 have better results than gp850, but the reviewer says the gp850 are faster and better, how?

you increased all response times of gl850 on tables, check how gl850 scores 4.08 on grey to grey in your own test, and here shows like 5.94 on table, the same happens on input lag, gl850 scores 8.29 on your own test, and here shows like 10.0

your changed the real gl850 results to says gp850 looks better

Last edited:

Nonsense. For many years there was no GPU capable of driving 4K displays at adequate FPS. Playing games at 4K@60Hz and beyond requires latest GPU which are right now nowhere to be found except buying from scalpers at horrendously inflated prices. 1440p is the current sweet spot between 1080 and 4K. Secondly many especially competitive players prefer higher refresh rates at the cost of lower resolution so they will stick with 1080p. Besides you can always hook up your PC to a 4K TV if you can get your hands on a GPU capable of driving it at good refresh rates.

Hello, I need ICC profile or Recomended settings too. For me the colours are not realy good. Red is oversaturated, white is gray, the overall color production is a lot to yellow and overall I'm not happy with the colors. I bought this monitor instead of the M27Q bcs of BGR and it had better colors from my point of view.

Thanks !

Some of us have been ranting for years about the still-widely-accepted 1080p@60 Hz "standard" for gaming (console gaming particularly). Surely we should have got good quality 4K@120 Hz displays for $500 or less by now, but that's not the case. That's why we get to use 1440p instead, because 4K is still in the luxury price bracket. You know, life sucks and then you die.

Back