Mounting extra front panel fans to a CM Scout?

Alster37

how would I go about doing this? I would like an extra one or even two if possible. has anyone done this?

If you think the thing is overheating, check that there is enough air getting in as well as being drawn out. If you have all the fans extracting air there may not be enough natural inflow to work and the fans will cavitate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation - it happens in air as well as other mediums/media) - and the same rule applies if all the fans are blowing inwards.
Clean any filters and dust off the fans - a clean paintbrush is an excellent tool.
If you want extra fans because of ambient temperature, be careful what you buy as they can be very noisy.

its not because of overheating, i would just like to improve the airflow and asthetics of my scout case

what am I looking for? suitable holes? I was thinking one 140mm fan might fit there
if it takes up 4 cd/dvd drive spaces

Have a look at the existing positions for fans and if there are any others available they will look the same. Otherwise you are in for some case modding and remote advice is totally unsuitable for that!

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the Storm scout is designed to have a fan in that area. There is a front-mounted fan on the bottom front, another on the rear top, and space for two on the side panel. With all those fans properly set, you should have more than enough airflow coming through the case.

You *might* be able to stuff one in there if you take out all the face plates that cover the drive slots, but unless you have some very clever roping technique in mind I don't think you will be able to get it to stay in place once the blades start moving.

Is there a reason you feel that the airflow isn't enough with the provided fan mounts? I have a SS myself and I've recommended them to everyone I know because of the excellent airflow.

Ah but I only have the standard number of fans in my case you see. and I think it would improve the look of the front.

You may be right - it is simply a matter of taste!
Personally I wouldn't do it but then I have done my fair share of case modding and had to admit that my ideas were not half as good as the guys who had designed the case in the first place.

Back