Problems with a new case and PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new, this is my first post so go easy on me.

I just bought a new ATX case, and I took the mother board, etc. out of my old eMachines (eww, I know =( computer and stuck them in there. The biggest problem is: I don't have my motherboard manual =( So I'm trying to go off the labelling on the mobo itself and it's not being very helpful. I just put in the motherboard and got it screwed down with the spacers and everything, all the drives put in, I haven't connected ANYTHING at all to the motherboard or PSU besides the 20-pin ATX connector from mobo to PSU. Afterwards I have several sepearte pins that correspond to things like HDD LED and Power Switch, etc. What's weird about this case is that the connectors are all singles (most are in big pin connectors stuck together, but these are set up in things like Power LED + -, 2-pin connectors for Reset SW, Power SW and HDD LED). I saw on my mobo that it has Power LED (3 pins. I only have 2 pins, one + and one -), and 2 2-pins, one HDD LED (which I presume works) and one "DC S/W" (I'm not sure what this one is, I'm assuming it's the power(DC as in AC/DC) S/W, but I'm not too sure). The array that the 'DC S/W, HDD LED and POWER LED' is connected to is on the verticle edge of the mobo and looks like this:
. ]
. ] Power LED
x
. ]
. ] HDD LED
x
. ]
. ]
. ] DC S/w

x= no 'pin' to put a plug on

I'm not sure what to do, my PSU won't even turn on. I have the hard switch on the back on (in the | position), and the new power cord that came with the case in the wall, I turn it on and most times it does nothing. But every now and then I throw the hard switch from off to on and the fan starts and the LED blinks for a split seconds, then turns off. What's going on? Is there any where I can find my mobo manual even if it's an eMachine? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

This is just the start of my problems with this case, but I atleast want to get the essential stuff like my PSU working first (my other problems are with audio and USB jacks on the front, and some LED lights on the front as well).

By the way, I think this might help: the mother board that came with my eMachines is a 'Anaheim 3 Micro ATX (ATX 1.2 form)'. It obviously didn't come with a mother board schematic or manual, or my stepfather didn't give it to me when he gave the computer to me. Still hoping somebody out there can help me.

As far as I can tell, there is no manual available. You might try and contact eMachines tech support by email.

Thanks, I think it's all more or less self-explanitory, my main problem is that I think the PSU that I got with the case is broken or defective. I put the PSU from my other case on it and it starts up power on the mobo and devices just fine. Thanks for the lead, though. I will call eMachines when I call NewEgg tomorrow. =)

Froyst,

Hello, Did you get any resolution on your MB manual? I am doing the same thing with the same motherboard, (1st Timer) and am running into some of the same problems. I thought it would basically be a plug and run evolution, but with no manual, not so sure. Any words of Wisdom?
Have a Diabalo case.
Thanks

Just a suggestion what about colour codes on the actual wires can you compare them to the ones in the old case :D

I guess that was going to have to be the plan. Problem is that the old MB is not very well marked, so might have to make some guesses at what is what. Email back from emachine tech, no manual or schematic for this board.

Thanks

You should have written down the connections from mobo to front-panel LEDs and switches in the original case.
If you can still remember what wire went were in the old case, trace the leads to the front-panel, that should tell you how to do it.
On most of these small wire-pairs in new(er) cases, the Ground/Earth is either black or white. The coloured wires are the positives.
Download one or two mobo-manuals from e.g. Intel and MSI, and see how they do their wiring. There are not that many possibilities or combinations.
The only MUST-HAVE connection is the one to switch the PC on, quite often that cable and/or the mobo is marked PWR.
Here is a link to Anaheim 2 mobo-manual, I imagine it can't be that far off from the Anaheim 3
http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/125/Anaheim2a.pdf

Well if you look at the colour codes on the all in one plug from the old case and there is a good chance they will be the same. I have done the same thing but I didnt have the old case but its up and running with two plugs on the one for the powerswitch and the HD led the Mobo is out of a Compaq hard to find info on the net :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back