Radeon RX 5700 vs. GeForce RTX 2060 Super: 40+ Game Mega Benchmark

Julio Franco

Staff member
And once again you compare wrong cards. Price wise RX 5700 XT = RTX 2060 Super. RX5700 is ca 10% cheaper than 2060 super. At least around here in EU.
2060 Super is 6% slower than 5700XT

For 6% more performance you lose:
1. DXR performance (AMD is coming out with DXR any time now, without dedicated hardware on Navi there is no competition)
2. Driver stability
3. Image Sharpening on DX 11 games
4. Nvenc

Last edited:
Besides price and performance there aren’t any other factors swaying us in either direction.
Other then Gsync being more polished.

FreeSync’s openness does have some drawbacks. Shopping for a FreeSync monitor is a pain in the *** compared to buying a G-Sync display. FreeSync monitors only support adaptive sync within a specified frame-rate range: 48Hz to 75Hz in the case of many low-cost models, for example.

Some G-Sync panels include added perks like refresh rate overclocking and Ultra Low Motion Blur, which combats the notorious blurring of text and other elements at very high refresh rates. It’s a killer feature for e-sports games.
Monitors with LFC duplicate frames when refresh rates are below the FreeSync minimum, enabling the refresh rate to enter the FreeSync range. If your graphics card is pumping out 30 frames per second, LFC duplicates the frames and runs the display at 60Hz, keeping things smooth. It’s great!

It’s also not mandatory, and largely found in pricier panels. Without LFC, moving into and out of FreeSync range is jarring, as you’ll go from silky-smooth gameplay one second to stuttering or screen-tearing the next. Again: You need to do some research to get the best possible FreeSync experience.

And that Nvidia drivers are more stable and reliable.
https://www.gamingscan.com/nvidia-vs-amd/

gamingscan said:
There is not much to say about the drivers themselves, as both Nvidia and AMD release new and stable drivers frequently. If we had to be nitpicky, we’d have to say that Nvidia does have a slightly better track record in terms of stability and consistency.

And the fact Radeons dont offer ray tracing, it may bring GPUs to their knees, but they can run older remakes of games with it like Quake II and see them like never before, so its still nice to have.
Because of these things, thats why the discrete GPU market share and Steam results are what they are. Just some 'factors' you forgot to mention that seem to sway 80-90% of discrete GPU purchases.

Last edited:
Dont forget with the AMD gpu you have freesync working over HDMI and ability to use low frame rate compensation. Something you dont get when using nvidia with a freesync screen. They only support freesync over display port and LFRC dont work.... Seomething to still take in mind when building a rig.

Besides the fact that the article you are quoting is rather old (the first chart is from around the time Polaris was released) and the article mentions AMD's "new" RX 5xx cards, it does not really support your point:

"There is not much to say about the drivers themselves, as both Nvidia and AMD release new and stable drivers frequently. If we had to be nitpicky, we’d have to say that Nvidia does have a slightly better track record in terms of stability and consistency."

In fact, its summary contradicts you completely considering which GPU range this TPU article looks at:

"The bottom line is, AMD is still a better choice for low-end and mid-range gaming setups, as it has been for a while now. Radeon cards simply present much better value for your money in this range. "

That said, simply linking to an article proves exactly what ? I am sure you can find someone who wrote an opinion piece that pretty much proves any point.

Besides the fact that the article you are quoting is rather old (the first chart is from around the time Polaris was released) and the article mentions AMD's "new" RX 5xx cards, it does not really support your point:

It's still the truth.

AMD drivers have more trouble then Nvidia.

Here's one from 2019 for you.

techradar said:
Still, GeForce Experience boasts the game optimization features we’re all crazy for. So when you don’t know what settings are best for your computer in The Witcher 3, Nvidia takes care of the heavy lifting for you.

AMD users can download and install Raptr’s Gaming Evolved tool to optimize their gaming experience. However, the add-on is less than ideal considering its biggest rival’s audience can accomplish nearly everything from within GeForce Experience. That includes using Nvidia Ansel to take way cool in-game photos at resolutions exceeding 63K (16 times that of which a 4K monitor can display).

Nvidia also has a leg up when it comes to streaming games whether it’s to another gaming PC with at least a Maxwell-based GPU, as well as the company’s self-made tablets and set-top box. Not to mention, Nvidia also has a cloud-based gaming service call GeForce Now available to Windows 10 and MacOS users.
And, of course you can’t talk about Nvidia in 2019 without mentioning ray tracing.

"The bottom line is, AMD is still a better choice for low-end and mid-range gaming setups, as it has been for a while now. Radeon cards simply present much better value for your money in this range. "
I agree with this, if they stick to the bang for their buck mentality, they will do much better. When you factor in features as mentioned, Gsync quality over Freesync (not saying Freesync isn't awesome, its just not quite as good or polished) driver featues, Ray Tracing and generally superior and more consistent/stable drivers, you get the discrete market GPU share and Steam results you have today, at every price point. Any author of any article who acts like there are no other factors is not being truthful. It's more then just Nvidia is good at these things, AMD is good at these things, or the idea they both have the same amount of issue and features.... If that were true, the market share wouldn't be 80/20. It's simply the truth.

Last edited:
I know they are using MSRP. But the 5700 non xt has been $330 for over 2 months. 2060 Super $400. RT is useless, turning up your resolution or any other setting looks waaaaaay better for the same performance impact. Free sync and gsync are the same thing, the only reason we can't use gsync on AMD is because it's not open source. AMD drivers have more trouble then Nvidia. You can image sharpen dx11 with reshade. Trixx boost is limited to amd saphire cards. AMD also lets you OC to your hearts desire with MPT and Bios flashing.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=radeon 5700&Order=PRICE

Hey Steve how about flashing the 2060 Super with higher power limit bios and see how much further we can overclock the 2060 Super ?
I recommend the 250W Palit 2060 Super Jetstream bios, the MSI 2060 Super Gaming X has 185W power limit.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/212077/palit-rtx2060super-8192-190627

Feel like Nvidia is getting the shaft here.
It's because this BIOS flash doesn't increase the performance that much (it's mainly for getting that extra 1-2% stable perf when OCing) and it's a bit more complicated to do. In my opinion it's not worth doing.

It's because this BIOS flash doesn't increase the performance that much (it's mainly for getting that extra 1-2% stable perf when OCing) and it's a bit more complicated to do. In my opinion it's not worth doing.

It's 1 line of code, how hard can that be lol
Go to CMD and type nvflash64 -6 romname.rom

Just so you know the MSI 2060 Super Gaming X model HU is using has a max TDP of 185W while the Palit one is 250W, that is 35% more power limit, depending on the game you will see a lot more performance increases or not. But just flashing 5700 while ignoring 2060 Super shows a distinct favoritism of the reviewer (or lack of knowledge). If you go to any Nvidia GPU forums all they talk about is flashing higher limit bios to gain additional performance.

I know they are using MSRP. But the 5700 non xt has been $330 for over 2 months. 2060 Super $400. RT is useless, turning up your resolution or any other setting looks waaaaaay better for the same performance impact. Free sync and gsync are the same thing, the only reason we can't use gsync on AMD is because it's not open source. AMD drivers have more trouble then Nvidia. You can image sharpen dx11 with reshade. Trixx boost is limited to amd saphire cards. AMD also lets you OC to your hearts desire with MPT and Bios flashing.

_You can get permanent ban when using Reshade in online games. Most online games right now are DX11.
_Trixx Boost is just using render scale which you can set up manually in 1 minute, nothing special about it.
_Basically you can flash any 2060/2070/2080 Super to a different model with a higher power limit (2060 Super for example can be flashed with the Gigabyte Gaming OC model with 280W power limit, default is 215W).
_Control has really nice RTX implementation, check it out.

Last edited:

https://adoredtv.com/radeon-rx-5700...er-1440p-gaming-showdown-feat-sapphire-pulse/
1. DXR performance (AMD is coming out with DXR any time now, without dedicated hardware on Navi there is no competition)
2. Driver stability
You just won't get good DXR performance with a 2060S and driver stability is just a meme now. My Nvidia laptop has had plently of driver issues and I freaking hate that I have to create an account with Nvidia to download a driver update through its application.
As for Image sharpening you mention DX 11 as if it's all DX 11 games and you don't know about the limitations Nvidia has. Reshade solves most of the missing pieces for both Nvidia and AMD anyway.

As for how AMD's DXR might work without dedicated hardware, we can assume that after the driver is fully ready, it will be the same or better than this performance wise (it should also be easier to enable):

Last edited:
It's still the truth.

Here's one from 2019 for you.

And again, the linked article does not support your claim "that Nvidia drivers are more stable and reliable."

While it does mention that they think nVidia's software is better due to automatic game optimizations and better streaming support it nowhere says that the drivers are more stable or reliable.

Just so you know the MSI 2060 Super Gaming X model HU is using has a max TDP of 185W while the Palit one is 250W, that is 35% more power limit, depending on the game you will see a lot more performance increases or not. But just flashing 5700 while ignoring 2060 Super shows a distinct favoritism of the reviewer (or lack of knowledge). If you go to any Nvidia GPU forums all they talk about is flashing higher limit bios to gain additional performance.
I wasn't talking about just CMD code. You have to be careful with the BIOS version you use, what card you take it from and what you use it on. It is very error prone.
Yes I've read the forums. They are generally talking about 2-3% extra or 4% at best in rare cases with very hot OCs. You generally increase the power limit to get a more stable OC and this BIOS flash does exactly that. It's a different from what you can do with the 5700 which is why it's not generally taken into consideration.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about just CMD code. You have to be careful with the BIOS version you use, what card you take it from and what you use it on. It is very error prone.
Yes I've read the forums. They are generally talking about 2-3% extra or 4% at best in rare cases with very hot OCs. You generally increase the power limit to get a more stable OC and this BIOS flas does exactly that.

I bet you 100% of 2060 Super out there can be flashed with the Palit Super Jetstream version as they all carry the same Device ID, if not then it would reject your flashing anyways.
Basically if the cooling solution can handle I don't see why anyone wouldn't flash their 2060 Super to the 250W bios, aside from additional performance it would give you more stable clocks (tighter 0.1% low FPS).
Edit: apparently there is a 280W bios from Gigabyte
Only recommended if you have the 3 fans versions of the 2060 Super

Control has the best RTX implementation so far and you can play it perfectly on an 2060 Super

Yes I know AMD can enable DXR via software but the performance impact will be the same as 1660Ti without dedicated RT cores.

Last edited:
Does Nvidia have some sort of prohibition on providing reviewers cards to test market-price equivalent cards? (e.g. 5700 XT vs 2060-S or 5700 vs 2060). Most of the head-to-head comparisons I've seen on a variety of sites defy logic if readily available real world pricing from Newegg and Amazon is taken into consideration. For whatever reason, the desired outcome seems to be to give the performance crown to the RTX card and the value crown to the Radeon card.

While it's good not to compete too aggressively with their OEM I suppose, AMD's reference blower cards and their list pricing don't seem to do them any favors either. It's easy, especially early in the product rollout, to focus on readily available reference cards (e.g. Reference 5700 XT @ $399) and ignore AIB cards (e.g. PowerColor AXRX 5700 XT @ $399) that don't have the limitations of the reference design whose availability may be spotty initially.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=radeon 5700&Order=PRICE

Problem being all the cheap Radeons are reference blower cards, weak cooling. Whereas the price you quoted for the RTX cards they are twin fan, far better reference coolers.

If you want a good 5700 or XT with an equivalent cooler on it comparable to Nvidia reference models and you should, then add $50.

Problem being all the cheap Radeons are reference blower cards, weak cooling. Whereas the price you quoted for the RTX cards they are twin fan, far better reference coolers.

If you want a good 5700 or XT with an equivalent cooler on it comparable to Nvidia reference models and you should, then add $50.

Or 0 dollars. Blower cards might be slightly noisier, the non xt uses less watts, so it doesn't need to get as loud. If you are not using MPT or a BIOS flash, aib cards are useless. Just go to the next tier up.

People don't seem to understand Super cards are not anything new, just a rehash of last year. If you want to see content about the RTX series cards look back to last year.

Some info below on OCing RTX "I fear someone will not listen to what I have to say and just blindly follow the guide and break their card. "

Last edited by a moderator:
Or 0 dollars. Blower cards might be slightly noisier, the non xt uses less watts, so it doesn't need to get as loud. If you are not using MPT or a BIOS flash, aib cards are useless. Just go to the next tier up.

People don't seem to understand Super cards are not anything new, just a rehash of last year. If you want to see content about the RTX series cards look back to last year.
Some info below on OCing RTX
"I fear someone will not listen to what I have to say and just blindly follow the guide and break their card. "

"not as loud" is still pretty loud

10dBA higher than 2060 Super is twice as loud, I don't know about you but the idea of having a jet engine so close to your ear is not a good idea and I'm a pilot lol.

Last year 2070/2080/2080Ti chips are locked down with A and non-A variants where A variant get higher power limit bios which translate to higher performance (approx 5%). 2060/2070/2080 Super are not locked down so you can flash it with any other bios with higher power limit. Getting another 5% perf from a 5 minute flashing session is an easy decision to make (especially when you already think flashing 5700 is also good idea).

I bet you 100% of 2060 Super out there can be flashed with the Palit Super Jetstream version as they all carry the same Device ID, if not then it would reject your flashing anyways.
Basically if the cooling solution can handle I don't see why anyone wouldn't flash their 2060 Super to the 250W bios, aside from additional performance it would give you more stable clocks (tighter 0.1% low FPS).
Edit: apparently there is a 280W bios from Gigabyte
Only recommended if you have the 3 fans versions of the 2060 Super

Control has the best RTX implementation so far and you can play it perfectly on an 2060 Super

Yes I know AMD can enable DXR via software but the performance impact will be the same as 1660Ti without dedicated RT cores.
720p lol, useless vs higher res
GeForce® RTX 2060 SUPER™ JS Graphics Card Power 215 W
http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=3317&lang=en&pn=NE6206ST19P2-1061J&tab=sp

And the bios you linked
"Warning: You are viewing an unverified BIOS file.
This upload has not been verified by us in any way (like we do for the entries listed under the 'AMD', 'ATI' and 'NVIDIA' sections).
Please exercise caution when flashing it to your graphics card, and always have a backup. "

I mean sure you can run at 280 watts if that bios even works, but I wouldn't. The 2080 Super starts off at 250W, increasing the watts is not some magic OCing bullet.
"The RTX 2080 Super also brings a bump in power consumption, from 215 Watts to 250 Watts"

You know you can turn down the fan yourself right? A card using what 25% less power etc etc. and btw I linked non blower cards for the same price

720p lol, useless vs higher res
GeForce® RTX 2060 SUPER™ JS Graphics Card Power 215 W
http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=3317&lang=en&pn=NE6206ST19P2-1061J&tab=sp
And the bios you linked
"Warning: You are viewing an unverified BIOS file.
This upload has not been verified by us in any way (like we do for the entries listed under the 'AMD', 'ATI' and 'NVIDIA' sections).
Please exercise caution when flashing it to your graphics card, and always have a backup. "
I mean sure you can run at 280 watts if that bios even works, but I wouldn't. The 2080 Super starts off at 250W, increasing the watts is not some magic OCing bullet.
"The RTX 2080 Super also brings a bump in power consumption, from 215 Watts to 250 Watts"

You know you can turn down the fan yourself right? A card using what 25% less power etc etc. and btw I linked non blower cards for the same price

215W is the default PL for the Palit JS model, you can increase the PL to 250W using the power slider in any overclock tool. The Gaming X model that Steve tested default at 175W and can only be increased to 185W
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-2060-super-gaming-x/33.html
Having 35% more power headroom can really help your performance in some games but the trade off is higher temp and more noises though the Gaming X cooler can handle just fine.
The bios I linked is from the Gigabyte 2060 Super Gaming OC version which is reviewed here https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/graphics/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-2060-super-gaming-oc-review/11/
it is actually ~14% faster than the 2060 Super FE model once OCed and comparable to AIBs 5700XT.

2060 Super can play Control with RTX Medium at 1080p or RTX Medium + DLSS at 1440p. The immersion you get with RTX medium is plenty already (Reflections and Transparent Reflections). Basically any performance you lose with RTX you can get back with DLSS (which is pretty good in Control).
https://wccftech.com/control-pc-performance-explored-all-in-on-rtx/3/

The Gigabyte 5700 Gaming OC selling for 360usd is a way better deal than the 330usd reference model anyways.

Last edited:
Other then Gsync being more polished.

And the fact Radeons dont offer ray tracing, it may bring GPUs to their knees, but they can run older remakes of games with it like Quake II and see them like never before, so its still nice to have.
Because of these things, thats why the discrete GPU market share and Steam results are what they are. Just some 'factors' you forgot to mention that seem to sway 80-90% of discrete GPU purchases.
And you're at it again aren't you? How much is nVidia paying you to trash AMD?

You know what you're also missing if you go for nVidia over AMD? Adaptive Sync through HDMI, which only AMD has at this point.

As for nVidia drivers being more reliable, all I have to do is post this;
https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-beats-nvidia-in-the-battle-for-the-most-stable-drivers

RTX 2060 has ray tracing but is useless in reality. Ray Tracing on an RTX2060 is the equivalent of using a 1050 Ti for 4K. If you base your choice on whether these cards have ray tracing or not, you don't have your priorities straight.

_You can get permanent ban when using Reshade in online games. Most online games right now are DX11.
_Trixx Boost is just using render scale which you can set up manually in 1 minute, nothing special about it.
_Basically you can flash any 2060/2070/2080 Super to a different model with a higher power limit (2060 Super for example can be flashed with the Gigabyte Gaming OC model with 280W power limit, default is 215W).
_Control has really nice RTX implementation, check it out.

I should not have to point out that the objective of this article isn't to show overclocked results given that they are not representative of what you get out of the box. A BIOS flash is a step further then that and voids your card's warranty. I can't tell you how many times I've seen "help! I bricked my card!" posts.

The purpose was to show stock performance across a wide array of games, not to show what each card can do when pushed to the max. Mind you, that will vary card to card anyways due to silicon quality. Doing so would require a decent sample size. This is why OC results should always be cross-referenced between reviews, as a good amount of variance does occur. Flashing the BIOS though is a whole different category and I would never recommend people void their warranties for a small performance boost.

2. Driver stability
4. Nvenc

1. With the BIG caveat that you play at 1080p at a much lower FPS then you would have gotten otherwise. DXR carries an 80% performance penalty on Turing right now.

2. Nvidia just had a bugged driver the other week and had 2 major issues in the last year. That's not including RTX space invader issues, which persist across the entire lineup to this day. The only people I see claiming Nvidia have more stable drivers are those that cannot prove it.

3. You mean image sharpening through the drivers. Otherwise you can still get image sharpening through 3rd party tools for DX11. This is an awfully specific and generally non-consequential point. It would be like me bringing up the fact that AMD has built in OC tools as a reason to buy an AMD card. It's not a reason to buy, it's an extra little bonus that won't impact purchasing decisions much.

4. This is actually a decent point as the Nvidia encoder is very good on turing (excluding the 1660 Ti and lower cards) but it's still a very niche one at that. Ultimately the people using this are going to be streamers, specifically small ones. Most established streamers with 1,000 viewers or more are going to have a dedicated computer for that and are going to be targeting higher quality options.

Wrong: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=5700+xt

Cards like the Sapphire pulse can be had for $410, a mere $10 over MSRP.

Last edited:
I should not have to point out that the point of this article isn't to show overclocked results given that they are not representative of what you get out of the box. A BIOS flash is a step further then that and voids your card's warranty. I can't tell you how many times I see "help! I bricked my card!" posts.

The purpose was to show stock performance across a wide array of games, not to show what each card can do when pushed to the max. Mind you, that will vary card to card anyways due to silicon quality.

1. With the BIG caveat that you play at 1080p at a much lower FPS then you would have gotten otherwise. DXR carries an 80% performance penalty on Turing right now.

2. Nvidia just had a bugged driver the other week and had 2 major issues in the last year. That's not including RTX space invader issues, which persist across the entire lineup to this day. The only people I see claiming Nvidia have more stable drivers are those that cannot prove it.

3. You mean image sharpening through the drivers. Otherwise you can still get image sharpening through 3rd party tools for DX11. This is an awfully specific and generally non-consequential point. It would be like me bringing up the fact that AMD has built in OC tools as a reason to buy an AMD card. It's not a reason to buy, it's an extra little bonus that won't impact purchasing decisions much.

4. This is actually a decent point as the Nvidia encoder is very good on turing (excluding the 1660 Ti and lower cards) but it's still a very niche one at that. Ultimately the people using this are going to be streamers, specifically small ones. Most established streamers with 1,000 viewers or more are going to have a dedicated computer for that and are going to be targeting higher quality options.

Wrong: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=5700+xt

Cards like the Sapphire pulse can be had for $410, a mere $10 over MSRP.

Flashing bios can go wrong but you can easily fix it with an iGPU or a spare GPU and no it doesn't void your warranty, I have been flashing bios since forever. The article mentions about 5700 can be flashed but ignoring the 2060Super can do the same but better.

1. FPS is a subjective number, playing single player games you generally don't care about FPS as much, 2060 Super can do 60fps at 1080p across many RTX games which is playable.

2. Navi driver instability is noted across many Techtuber like Tech Deals, Jokers Production, GamersNexus, etc...
Check the 26:00 minute mark, also 2/3 of the buyer reviews on newegg is littered with driver instability comments with the 5700XT.

You keep mentioning the space invader, check out Der8auer Vid
Basically the failure rate of the Turing were within normal range, or so for the custom models, the FE model probably has higher failing rate. I bought 2 2080Ti (one Gigabyte and one Asus) at launch and haven't yet seen any problem, I even bought them in different country thus forfeiting any warranty.

3. Using 3rd party tool will get you perma ban in online games. You get quite an advantage with Image Sharpening in online games (I use it in PUBG :D)

4. 1660Ti also have the new Nvenc. This is also useful when you want to record your gameplay, can't do it with Navi (for now).

Last edited:
Back