Red Dead Redemption 2 PC version: the evidence

midian182

Staff member
Bottom line: For those who have been living under a rock for the last week: a little game called Red Dead Redemption 2 has been getting a lot of attention. It’s a console exclusive, meaning some PS4 and Xbox One fans have relished the chance to get one over PC owners. But, like GTA V, could the best version of RDR2 be the one that arrives on our favorite platform?

2010’s Red Dead Redemption was also a brilliant game, and it too could only be enjoyed by PlayStation and Xbox owners—though it can now be played on PC using the PlayStation Now service. With GTA V holding the title of ‘best-selling game of all time’ in the US, and it proving especially popular on the PC, we expected Rockstar to announce that RDR2 wouldn’t have the same platform exclusivity as its predecessor, but so far there’s been no mention of it coming to PC. So, are we being denied what’s been called one of the best open-world games of all time? Or do we just need to be patient and wait for the inevitable?

Evidence of an in-development PC version arrived last June, when the LinkedIn profile of an unnamed Rockstar dev, who previously worked on GTA V and L.A. Noire, listed the PC as one of RDR2’s platforms.

But the strongest indication of a PC version was recently discovered by Rockstar Intel, which reports that the game’s companion app contains files that reference the PC and its graphical settings. There are mentions of temporal anti-aliasing, water reflection resolution, and shadow and particle quality, along with files that include the words “pcversion.”

With such a massive market eager to snap up the game, it should be a matter of when, not if, RDR2 will move beyond consoles. It might be that Rockstar wants to squeeze everything it can from GTA online, which continues to make a fortune for the company, before bringing Red Dead 2 and its upcoming online component to the PC.

GTA V didn’t arrive on the PC until two years after its launch on the PS3 and Xbox 360. Hopefully, and more than likely, we won’t be waiting quite as long for Rockstar’s newest flagship product. But for the impatient among us, RDR2 is one of the best reasons to buy a console right now.

Permalink to story.

The controls on this game suck, and combined with a 30FPS console framerate it feels so damn sluggish. Arthur Morgan rotates and aims slower than an arthritic sloth.

I think that a mouse for aiming and a 60FPS refresh will change the game dramatically. This alone would make a PC version massively superior to what the consoles do, besides getting onto the inevitable visual enhancements possible.

Not a big surprise given that current gen consoles are 95% PCs.
If some people thought that Rockstar is lazy or bad not to port some games from previous gen consoles to PCs are childish. Every single developer would like to have their games on as many platforms as possible. You work once to do the game and then sell it on as many platforms. It just makes sense.
Last gen consoles were a different story. They were very different compared to PCs, from the bare instructions to the internal architecture of the hardware. So they probably judged the cost of the port and the difficulty (every bit of software contains hacks that make things work, but may need a completely different solution for a new platform) of porting and they said it is not worth it from effort/costs perspective.
Nowdays we have AMD cpus and gpus in the consoles. Ok, memory latency might be different between PC/consoles since consoles use gddr5 for both cpu/gpu, but that is nothing compared to how much different previous gen consoles were compared to PC.

Last edited:
If some people thought that Rockstar is lazy or bad not to port some games from previous gen consoles to PCs are childish. Every single developer would like to have their games on as many platforms as possible. You work once to do the game and then sell it on as many platforms. It just makes sense.
Last gen consoles were a different story. They were very different compared to PCs, from the bare instructions to the internal architecture of the hardware. So they probably judged the cost of the port and the difficulty (every bit of software contains hacks that make things work, but may need a completely different solution for a new platform) of porting and they said it is not worth it from effort/costs perspective.
Nowdays we have AMD cpus and gpus in the consoles. Ok, memory latency might be different between PC/consoles since consoles use gddr5 for both cpu/gpu, but that is nothing compared to how much different previous gen consoles were compared to PC.
People thought rockstar was lazy because GTA VI got a PC port, and used an older version of RDR's engine, the same engine that was also on Pc with GTA V. The same engine used on max payne 3, which was ALSO on PC.

Sure seems like RDR should have been ported at some point. Thinking rockstar was lazy for not bothering to port the game when there was plenty of evidence to support it could have been done, and arguably much of the legwork WAS done, is far from "childish".

It helps console sales for sure. Too bad we have to buy it again for PC when the full version the way it's meant to be played comes out. Boo on Rockstar for this. I'd say buy it now for consoles and look for a freeware version of it for PC later.

Wrong!! A PC version always need resources, time, people working on it! Otherwise you end up with a profuct like Batman AK! And you know what happens on PC games when the online part of them is not the most important?

Piracy! Wich rockstar said several times they hate! Also ppl keep forgeting that until today rockstar san diego didnt release a single game for pc, apart from... Midnight club 3, wich guess what... One of the worst ports ever. Every other single rockstar san diego game didnt have a pc version.

Now Im not saying rdr2 wont be on pc but I advise you to take it easy on the assumption that it will.

There are so many games coming to PC I'd be shocked if RDR2 didn't come to PC.

Madden came back to PC this year
Gears of War (5) is coming back
Halo (Infinite) coming back
XBOX Play Pass on PC/$10 streaming subscriptions
Games shipping with free DLC
BFD's
4K GPU's
Radeon (Navi) coming back 2019?
Intel record revenues
Nvidia rising stock price

PC gaming is arguably as strong as it's ever been I'd say. My fingers are crossed we get RDR2.

They'll bring it to PC.
But we can't really say if the engine they used for console supports PC well enough to port it quickly. But by their silence, I'd say it won't be that quick (and that they'll announce it when they're confident on a date).

Which is a shame that we'll have to wait. I'll wait for it to come on PC (I have plenty of Steam games to play in the meantime)...

While Rdr had some positive points, it also had a lot of negative ones such as the collision and pathing problems and the non HDR HDR.
If it goes to pc I may sure there will be some sales but if it doesn't I am just as sure there will be better games that are better developed and produced that will more than make up for it's absence in the coming months and years.

The funny thing is, devs delay the launch of PC titles by month and even years in Rockstar's case and then blame the 'poor sales' in PC version. Are you kidding me, mate?

After what they did to GTA, I wouldn't buy It. How Shark Cards will be called in RDR universe? Gold Rush Cards?

I'm in a similar situation, Rockstar held the PC version back for over a year to maximise sales from people who grabbed it on the last gen consoles and then when it released on the current gen consoles they held the PC version back again, I refuse to give my hard earned money to Rockstar when they use such underhanded tactics to maximise sales, I waited until GTAV was dirt cheap on PC and I'll continue to do that until things change & if they don't so be it, It's not like there isn't plenty of other games to play. As far as I'm concerned Rockstar can go do one. :mad:

Last edited:
Shame the multiplayer will be ruined by hackers on PC. They still have done nothing about hackers on GTA 5 and it was released 3 years ago, well they added a text at the start that they fixed the issue, got hacked on the same session I saw the message. They also sued some hack makers but only because they got money out of them, if it is non profit hacking they don't care. Other option is that it's a windows app, gta 4 was a GFWL game so they might have purposely ignored GTA5 hacking so they can justify going back to microsofts closed ecosystem, microsoft would pay for windows exclusive games as linux is becoming a threat. Either way, it will suck on PC, I'll wait for the PS5 version and see if that console can finally manage the 60fps 1080p they promised with the release of PS3 (still waiting).

There are so many games coming to PC I'd be shocked if RDR2 didn't come to PC.

Madden came back to PC this year
Gears of War (5) is coming back
Halo (Infinite) coming back
XBOX Play Pass on PC/$10 streaming subscriptions
Games shipping with free DLC
BFD's
4K GPU's
Radeon (Navi) coming back 2019?
Intel record revenues
Nvidia rising stock price

PC gaming is arguably as strong as it's ever been I'd say. My fingers are crossed we get RDR2.

By as strong as it ever been you mean:

- crazy DDR 4 prices with 16gb costing 220€ in my country?

- crazy GPU prices that are 3 y old and still cost more than their MRSP?

- or the new RTX that raised prices of the high end line to double figures?

- I guess you refered to crappy 1000:1 contrast nonitors with a laughable HDR, glow or lack of qc or oled, that cost from 500€ to 2000€?

- or you meant Intel CPUs that now cost 40% more thab their MRSP, even 6700k, and the ruined 2nd hand market because of it?

- maybe you refer to the fact you still pay 80€ for laughable small 256gb that can be used for OS and 2 games?

PC gaming was on its prime 3/4 years ago, right now is on a big downfall again due to several factors. If you cant notice that, something is wrong with you, but we starting to see a lot of signs. Give it one or two more years, wait for next gen consoles and it will be even worse.

Shame the multiplayer will be ruined by hackers on PC. They still have done nothing about hackers on GTA 5 and it was released 3 years ago, well they added a text at the start that they fixed the issue, got hacked on the same session I saw the message. They also sued some hack makers but only because they got money out of them, if it is non profit hacking they don't care. Other option is that it's a windows app, gta 4 was a GFWL game so they might have purposely ignored GTA5 hacking so they can justify going back to microsofts closed ecosystem, microsoft would pay for windows exclusive games as linux is becoming a threat. Either way, it will suck on PC, I'll wait for the PS5 version and see if that console can finally manage the 60fps 1080p they promised with the release of PS3 (still waiting).
Or get a PC with a 2080 and get 60 fps @4k.

By as strong as it ever been you mean:

- crazy DDR 4 prices with 16gb costing 220€ in my country?

- crazy GPU prices that are 3 y old and still cost more than their MRSP?

- or the new RTX that raised prices of the high end line to double figures?

- I guess you refered to crappy 1000:1 contrast nonitors with a laughable HDR, glow or lack of qc or oled, that cost from 500€ to 2000€?

- or you meant Intel CPUs that now cost 40% more thab their MRSP, even 6700k, and the ruined 2nd hand market because of it?

- maybe you refer to the fact you still pay 80€ for laughable small 256gb that can be used for OS and 2 games?

PC gaming was on its prime 3/4 years ago, right now is on a big downfall again due to several factors. If you cant notice that, something is wrong with you, but we starting to see a lot of signs. Give it one or two more years, wait for next gen consoles and it will be even worse.
How is it that .every generation of console is next gen? Lol
PC is a lot more than a gaming device. Games are only a tiny fraction of the story.

I am just going to wait for the PC version.
I own a Ps4 but meh I never use it and was thinking of selling it.

Back