Registry permissions fun

madboyv1

So, I'm trying to uninstall a program through its uninstaller and it throws the following error:

Error 1402: could not open key:
[slightly mutilated key path, though I know what they refer to]
Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

I figured, okay, I just have to take ownership and change permissions, but I can't.

LyQpC.png

No user or usergroups are listed in the permissions list, and it won't let me take ownership.
Looking online does not help at all, as they all seem to say the same thing. Any thoughts?

edit: I am running Windows 7 x64 Enterprise and regedit with administrator privileges.

Ah a general how to; unfortunately I've tried all of that already and I can't do anything:

FpeGe.png

After that warning it leads me to a permissions window that has a blank list of groups or usernames. When I try adding the administrator usergroup:

UeHo1.png

Likewise, I cannot take ownership or apply advanced permissions.

Hmm.. that's weird. Here's my next best guess (tho i'm also not stating this with certainty so create a System Restore point, etc. just to be safe)

1. Could you select a parent key in the registry? I would GUESS if you could change a parent the "take ownership" steps include an option for all the children to inherit

2. There;s also the Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe) you could google and download to try (i've never had an issue on occasions i've used it but understand M$ withdrew "official" support since they say it has occasional problems). The tool removes an app from the registry - tho might end up with the same permissions issues that you do.. idk

the parent key I can mess with, but trying to push permissions down the tree results in:

aRLFs.png

I do not remember, but is the MSI clean util similar to Windows Install Cleanup available in Win7? If so it removes the keys that make the system think the program is installed, rather than all the keys related to the program.

the parent key I can mess with, but trying to push permissions down the tree
Oh :(

I do not remember, but is the MSI clean util similar to Windows Install Cleanup available in Win7? If so it removes the keys that make the system think the program is installed, rather than all the keys related to the program.
Yes. And yes, you're right not necessarily all keys but, more specifically, those that make Windows think it's installed

Thinking about it, I guess I could try reinstalling the program to then turn around to uninstall it...

No love on the reinstalling, it installer dies when it tries to add/modify the locked keys.

I guess if I want a dirty uninstall, I use Win7's MSIUU, delete the main folder for my program, then see if CCleaner can find old/bad keys that are obsolete/derelict.... But I'd rather do it "properly".

This is a real head scratcher...

Yea. This one has me stumped as well.

I don't know that it should matter but i'd try taking ownership while in Safe Mode just for the heck of it

Hmmm... there's a command line tool SETACL which states
> Supported object types: files and directories, registry keys, printers, services, network shares

> Use of privileges: as an administrator, you have access to any file or directory, even the ones you do not have permission to where you are not the owner (just like a backup program)

If you'd like, will see if can take a closer look at it tomorrow

I went ahead and took it for a spin...

Code:
SetACL-on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\C9AE13788D0B61F80AF18C3B9B1A1EE8\CAFE3257544598E4DB09480E0D116009 -ot reg -actn setowner -ownr n:administrator

INFO: Processing ACL of: <machine\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\C9AE13788D0B61F80AF18C3B9B1A1EE8\CAFE3257544598E4DB09480E0D116009>

SetACL finished successfully.

That's a good sign... I'll see if I can baby the uninstaller through. Excellent find LA.

edit: it didn't actually add the permission, but it removed the lock, so I was able to add admin permissions in regedit.

edit again: AND ZE PROGRAM IZ GONE~ Thanks again for that find LA. Even though I've now fixed the issue, it still is likely a good program for you to look into, for personal reference.

Back