Revisiting the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti in 2022

Nvidia certainly have done a fabulous marketing con-job of 'normalizing' such obscene prices for their high-top end GPU's, over the last few years.

Of course it helps that the demographic that these products are targeted at are mostly single, young, cash rich, commitment free 18-35yr olds with easy access to credit cards, whose attitude seems to be 'Well, I have nothing or no one else to spend $1500 on, so why not'

..And they even got some help from mother nature/Chinese incompetence, in the form of a pandemic!

Get ready for 4080ti 2000$ MSRP! Nvidia have realized like Apple, people will pay outrageous prices to feel better about themselves.

Get ready for 4080ti 2000$ MSRP! Nvidia have realized like Apple, people will pay outrageous prices to feel better about themselves.

Then let Nvidia be ready to sell just a few cards. I'm not going to buy and for sure others will go for alternatives.
Can be team Red, Blue or even second hand.

In fact I dont know what is worst, buy from Nvidia or from miners.

I don't see massive increases to the MSRP at least not in the US. Right now the dollar, for whatever reason, is pretty strong. But the average consumer is struggling with inflationary pressures. So if Nvidia wants dollars, they will need to be reasonable on pricing. My guess is that all Nvidia GPUs will launch at same MSRP as 30 series counter parts. The difference will be, you might even be able to pick them up for that (or under if you wait a few months). Unless there is another mining boom, the buyers just are not going to be there.

I don't see massive increases to the MSRP at least not in the US. Right now the dollar, for whatever reason, is pretty strong. But the average consumer is struggling with inflationary pressures. So if Nvidia wants dollars, they will need to be reasonable on pricing. My guess is that all Nvidia GPUs will launch at same MSRP as 30 series counter parts. The difference will be, you might even be able to pick them up for that (or under if you wait a few months). Unless there is another mining boom, the buyers just are not going to be there.
I agree. There's low demand this time and bumping prices up is only going to hurt them. But I'm afraid they'll do it anyway, out of habit, before the market will slap them silly.

The RX 6600 XT only costs $330 and is slightly faster than the $380 RTX 3060. I think that it would have been more applicable to this than the RX 5700 XT.

Having said that, I have to hand it to the GTX 1080 Ti because its longevity has been staggering. This article is a fantastic look at this venerable piece of technology. I give props to nVidia for the beast that they created with the GTX 1080 Ti. The GTX 1080 Ti was ahead of its time and thus has lived for a very long time (and still has a couple of years left in it). Its longevity reminds me of the R9 Fury, another card that just refuses to die.

I replaced my MSI GTX 970 OC (GTX-970-4GD5T-OC) that I purchased in 2014 with an MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (GAMING X 11G) that I purchased in 2017. Even though it was regarded as the first 4K card of its time I just played at 1440p on it and was it excellent at that resolution. I was going to replace it with a 3080 but you all know what happened. So I skipped that generation as the card still holds up well. I am looking forward to AMD's and Nvidia's next series of graphic cards later this year. Let's hope they don't disappoint.

I had this card and it was indeed a class act. Apparently its still a class act.
Obviously I skipped the 2080 and went for the 3090. Another future proofed class act.
We've entered the law of diminishing returns now with graphics cards. When manufacturers cards surpass the human levels of perception then they've got a problem. Of course the 4080 and 4090 will Mince the 3090 but that is only in a laboratory. In the real world, humans can't perceive any of this massive power.
I've still got my 1080ti. Just in case my 3090 fails. In that even, I'm sure it will do its usually stellar job
As for the 40 series. Anyone with a 3080 or 3090 can easily skip. But the manufacturers rely on human weakness and their desire to keep up with the joneses.
I'm sure they'll do that with their usual attention seeking alacrity.

I was one of the lucky ones, did an upgrade at the right time, got a 1080TI when it first came out + 4k 55 in OLED, so been enjoying 4k 60fps for almost a decade (turn off things like AA of course)

upgraded to the 3070 + new OLED and been enjoying 4k 120 fps for almost 2 years now,
(FH5 has no probs running 4k@120)

The next logical step is 4k @ 240 (or 8k), but hdmi maxes out 4k@120
4090 has the power to render 4k@240 but the hdmi cable is limited to 4k@120

so the 4000 series cards will have hdmi 2.1 as a bottleneck

I should add that
the 1080 TI is hdmi 2.0a, is limited to 4k@60,
the 3070 is hdmi 2.1 is limited to 4k @120

Last edited:
All I know is 1080Ti had more or less same performance as 2070S and 2080. So I would stick with those drivers from back then.

edit: apparently (I've been browsing the net :) ) 2060S is now also faster than 6600XT. Just to piss people off for good measure.

Last edited:
Many of the folks who bought Ampere cards (at least the higher end ones) will probably skip the 4000 series and wait for the next gen. Plus eth mining is ending so I kinda hope Nvidia is humbled in the market this time.

The RX 6600 XT only costs $330 and is slightly faster than the $380 RTX 3060. I think that it would have been more applicable to this than the RX 5700 XT.

Having said that, I have to hand it to the GTX 1080 Ti because its longevity has been staggering. This article is a fantastic look at this venerable piece of technology. I give props to nVidia for the beast that they created with the GTX 1080 Ti. The GTX 1080 Ti was ahead of its time and thus has lived for a very long time (and still has a couple of years left in it). Its longevity reminds me of the R9 Fury, another card that just refuses to die.

I had the Fury before jumping to Vega64. The Fury was kneecapped by 4gb of ram...which is fine if you're only running 1080p

Still rockin' my 1080ti FTW3 years later, waiting for it to feel slow before I upgrade. Running' 1440 off my asus megawide girl and glad I've survived the video card pricing apocalypse. Waiting for that 4090 ti
I still got 2 of the Asus STRIX 1080Tis; great cards.

I had the Fury before jumping to Vega64. The Fury was kneecapped by 4gb of ram...which is fine if you're only running 1080p
I couldn't agree more (although the HBM did mitigate this somewhat). Back then though, 1080p was what pretty much everyone gamed at. Even today, 1080p is still dominant. The thing is that at 1080p, that card still games. It's getting trickier, but there are some custom drivers out there that perform miracles on it. I believe that they're called "Amernime Drivers". Another custom driver that I've seen for it that's supposed to be good is called "NimeZ".

I don't know exactly what they do but people have been claiming that they reduce the 1% lows to the point that they completely eliminate stuttering.

The GTX 1080 Ti was a beast and served me well for almost five years. I only pulled the trigger on a 12GB OC model of the RTX 3080 when prices returned to "normal". I paid $800 for the new card, where the 1080 Ti had cost me $750 for a high-end edition. $50 more for a card that's almost twice as powerful seemed very reasonable. I'm pushing 3440x1440p.

I think I'm good for a while! If the 4xxx series is a massive upgrade, who knows? I'm not asking for the moon, just want as close as I can get to my monitor's 175Hz refresh rate at high settings. Even my new card can't do that in a lot of AAA games...

Game on, friends!

Back