'Star Trek: Discovery' teaser revealed at Comic-Con

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Comic-Con 2016 was in full swing this weekend as thousands of fans convened at the San Diego Convention Center for all things comics and entertainment. Those in attendance at the Star Trek 50th anniversary panel were in for a treat – not only did they get to sit in with some of the show’s all-time biggest stars, they were among the first to see the all-new teaser for Star Trek: Discovery, the upcoming TV series from CBS.

As moderator of the panel, executive producer Bryan Fuller revealed that the ship in the new series will be called the USS Discovery. He also said the show won’t be episodic, but instead will tell long arc stories “like a novel.”

Star Trek: Discovery goes into production this September and will begin airing in January on CBS All Access, the network’s paid streaming platform. It’ll be available on Netflix 24 hours later for international audiences.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Its the ralph mcquarrie phase II concept enterprise... And it looks bad in that cgi... They should christen it "USS Fugly".

It’ll be available on Netflix 24 later for international audiences.
It'll be available 24 later huh? xD

I assume you meant 24 hours later? 24 seconds later seems a bit pointless, as does 24 days, weeks or years.
24 minutes later would be a strange thing to do as well.

I'm a Trek fan and I have no interest in this just from the teaser since it's not live action. I don't really care for this CGI thing they have going for this. Also it looks horrible in the CGI shown in the video. If I can play video games with higher graphic fidelity, I really don't care for this.

I'm not a huge trek fan (though I have a healthy appreciation for it), but other than the saucer portion it looks like they pulled the design language from older Klingon/Romulan ships for the rest of the ship, and I am not sure how I feel about that.

LOL .... too many picky critics for my taste. It's about the future; things change, advance, and grow ... the simple fact that they are bringing it back to TV is pretty relevant; now as long as don't destroy the spirit of the cast and keep the original theme of dealing with complex issues of humanity .... it will soar!

If not, well, we will just stuck a few photon torpedo's up their kazoo and off they'll go!!!!!

WOO HOOOOOOOO

Since this is the ONLY thing I would watch from CBS All Access, I simply won't subscribe to it. I'll wait the year (or whatever) until it becomes available on Netflix in the US.

I'm a Trek fan and I have no interest in this just from the teaser since it's not live action. I don't really care for this CGI thing they have going for this. Also it looks horrible in the CGI shown in the video. If I can play video games with higher graphic fidelity, I really don't care for this.

Some parts looks like a 90's cheap cgi.

If CBS wants to finally have their turn at Trek, that's cool..but this "long arc" thing bothers me greatly. You can have an ongoing backstory and developing situations and still do self-contained episodic stories, as was the norm for decades. Enterprise tried this in its last season and it was really not that enjoyable. I also kind of wish this new show would take place sometime between the TOS and movie eras - that's largely unexplored territory. Lots of brushfire conflicts with the Klingons and other races, intergalactic intrigue aplenty..its pretty ripe regardless of which canon you subscribe to. How did Earth end up forgetting about the "humanified" Klingons? How did the Empire finally rid itself of the human DNA infection? Why did the Romulans virtually disappear for the better part of 50 years (and not just due to cloaking tech)? Of course the endless time-warping and outright retconning of the franchise might render that period unrecognizable. The aforementioned "Xindi" arc of Enterprise was so non-canon that I still regard the entire show to be an alternate timeline. In truth, TV Trek is really three different continuities:

TOS, the TOS movies
TNG/DS9/VOY and the TNG movies including Generations
ENT

My greatest fear is a ST:DIS crammed full of melodramatic angst, gratuitous gay and interracial relationships, GoPro film work and more aliens that are just people with funny noses. The ship is called "Discovery" so one would hope we're going to see something more akin to the original series. Star Trek is an infinite backdrop of possibilities and nearly any imaginable element can be introduced to spawn drama and adventure (within budget, of course). I really, really hope CBS can restore some luster to this once-great property that's been drydocked for a decade. And for Surak's sake, let it NOT be based on the Trek movie reboot.

CGI looks lame, in other words the effort they spent on this teaser makes it look lame. Ship design looks like a cross between federation and Klingon design, which could have some interesting back story. I would love for a new Star Trek to follow some continuity in the TNG/DS9/VOY universe, there's a lot of established lore there already, but I bet CBS will F it up.

"Star Trek: Discovery"....wow CBS. Just wow. Like nobody will notice that stands for STD. Good job. That trailer is absolutely horrid. The ship they show there is from the TV show in the 70's that got cancelled (and led to Star Trek: The Motion Picture instead). Gene Roddenberry would not allow this to fly if he were alive today. CBS and Paramount just seem so eager to kill off Star Trek. Between this crap of a trailer for a crappy show on crappy CBS All Access only, they have killed Star Trek. That, and suing fan film producers.

"Star Trek: Discovery"....wow CBS. Just wow. Like nobody will notice that stands for STD. Good job. That trailer is absolutely horrid. The ship they show there is from the TV show in the 70's that got cancelled (and led to Star Trek: The Motion Picture instead). Gene Roddenberry would not allow this to fly if he were alive today. CBS and Paramount just seem so eager to kill off Star Trek. Between this crap of a trailer for a crappy show on crappy CBS All Access only, they have killed Star Trek. That, and suing fan film producers.
Are those epaulets, or are they just big chips on each of your shoulders?

Last edited:
Back