Star Wars Jedi: Survivor spec requirements swell to 155 GB of local storage

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Star Wars Jedi: Survivor system requirements leaked back in December but now we have official confirmation directly from the horse's mouth complete with one notable change. EA is calling for at least a Ryzen 5 1400 / Core i7-7700 CPU, a Radeon RX 580 / Nvidia GTX 1070 GPU, 8 GB of RAM and 155 GB of storage to run the game.

For the best experience, EA says you'll want something closer to a Ryzen 5 5600X or Core i5-11600K, an RX 6700 XT / Nvidia RTX 2070, and 16 GB of RAM. At least Windows 10 is recommended universally. It's not clear what resolution target or quality settings EA has in mind with its recommendations.

The requirements aren't all that daunting for a modern game, but the inflated storage requirement is a bit of a surprise considering it was already high at 130 GB when these otherwise identical specs leaked late last year.

If you're running low on storage and plan on picking up the new Star Wars game, now might be the perfect time to develop a strategy to free up some extra space. A thorough spring cleaning that involves finishing up some lingering games and uninstalling those you've already completed is certainly a step in the right direction.

Optionally, storage prices are incredibly attractive right now so maybe picking up a new drive would be a better route. Some of our favorite SSDs for gamers are dirt cheap right now including the WD Black 2TB SN850X NVMe at $179.99. The 2TB SK Hynix Platinum P41, meanwhile, is down to just $156.99.

Traditional spinning media is even cheaper. For example, you can pick up a 2TB Seagate IronWolf drive for only $69.99 or bump up to an 8TB variant for $129.99. Amazon even has a colossal 18TB drive that can be yours for $389.99.

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is due out on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series and Windows PC on April 28, 2023. The standard edition is available to pre-order over on Steam for $69.99, while the Deluxe Edition commands $89.99.

Permalink to story.

So the game is $70 and for $20 more you can get some cosmetic items....This better be one hell of a game, I hope that 155GB of game isn't just visual assets. I don't mind paying for something if the value is there but I better be able to get 200 hours out of this game if I'm going to pay $70 for it.

Normally I hate EA games but I have been looking forward to this. Lets hope we get a game worth paying for

Those requirements are a bit strange.
For minimum, they state an RX 580 or a GTX1070. But the 1070 is 30% faster.
For recommended, they state an RX 6700XT and a 2070S. But the 6700XT is 30% faster.
Then for recommended CPU, they state 4C/8T. But then recommend 2 CPUs with 6C/12T.
And for vram both in minimum and recommended specs state 8Gb of vram. But for games, using low, mid, high, ultra settings will change vram usage.
One would expect the vram requirements for minimum and recommended to be different.
And the minimum CPU, they recommend a Ryzen 5 1400 and i7 7700. But the 7700 has significantly greater IPC and clock speeds. The only thing in common is they they are both 4C/8T CPUs.

For recommended, they state an RX 6700XT and a 2070S. But the 6700XT is 30% faster.
Then for recommended CPU, they state 4C/8T. But then recommend 2 CPUs with 6C/12T.
And for vram both in minimum and recommended specs state 8Gb of vram. But for games, using low, mid, high, ultra settings will change vram usage.
One would expect the vram requirements for minimum and recommended to be different.
And the minimum CPU, they recommend a Ryzen 5 1400 and i7 7700. But the 7700 has significantly greater IPC and clock speeds. The only thing in common is they they are both 4C/8T CPUs.

I think your problem here is that you're trying to make sense of something EA has said and/or done. It's EA. Don't expect anything good from them.

Yeah the R5 1400 is most similar to a Core i7-4770, especially with a mild 3.7GHz overclock that everyone can achieve. The 7700 doesn't have that much higher IPC, maybe 10% max but in concert with 4.0 GHz, that adds up.

For the GPU, it's gotta be the VRAM. The 1060 only has 6GB and while it's closer to the RX580's performance, the 1070 has the matching 8GB. So while the 1070 will be better, the 580 will be good enough.

I just finished Jedi: Fallen Order two weeks ago after getting it at Christmas. Most recent Star Wars games have been pretty meh, but I really enjoyed this one. Not as good IMO as Dark Forces II/Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy (dating myself here 😀), but still pretty good. Looking forward to getting Jedi: Survivor in a few years when it hits the bargain bin (I refuse to pay $70 for a game).

"Dirt Cheap Right Now" price of drives is NO justification for overbloated game size that hogs the space with shallow gameplay.

Basically, wait for benchmarks.

"Dirt Cheap Right Now" price of drives is NO justification for overbloated game size that hogs the space with shallow gameplay.
Getting drives for holding large games certainly isn't an issue for most people.

What I have a problem with is a game requiring so much space and it needs to be downloaded. These companies seem to not be able to compress files for downloading.... A lot of people are still restricted with data caps. With most things being streamed these days it's not hard for a family to come close to hitting the monthly data cap. 150+GB to download? No thank you.

For the GPU, it's gotta be the VRAM. The 1060 only has 6GB and while it's closer to the RX580's performance, the 1070 has the matching 8GB. So while the 1070 will be better, the 580 will be good enough.

Minumum: 8GB vram ......... Recommned: 8GB vram (RTX 2070S)

Make no sense

I doubt that it has anything to do with Vram. and there is no game on planet that need more than 6GB vram on lowest setting

It might be that they did not test GTX 1060... Or maybe GTX 1060 is not fast enough (slower than 580 in this game) and next step is to recommend GTX 1070........There is noting between GTX 1060 and 1070 in pascal lineup.... so the only choice is to recommend GTX 1070

Minumum: 8GB vram ......... Recommned: 8GB vram (RTX 2070S)

Make no sense

I doubt that it has anything to do with Vram. and there is no game on planet that need more than 6GB vram on lowest setting

It might be that they did not test GTX 1060... Or maybe GTX 1060 is not fast enough (slower than 580 in this game) and next step is to recommend GTX 1070........There is noting between GTX 1060 and 1070 in pascal lineup.... so the only choice is to recommend GTX 1070

Nah, the 1060 and 580 are real close in performance while the 1070 is 30% faster than both.

"Lowest" settings are different in all games and have become more demanding in recent years. The commonality between the 580 and 1070 is 8GB VRAM, also the minimum required for the game. That's the reason for excluding the 1060 from recommendations.

However, do I think the 1060 will do all right? Yeah probably, but it'll be interesting to see how badly it stutters when running out of VRAM, if at all.

The 990 pro 2 terabyte fell in price for 2TB PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 SSD
$143.99 + FREE SHIPPING
$279.99 Save: $136.00 (49%)
Coupon: SSD990LCS
at Samsung's website. FYI.

also if want the space
Crucial - P3 plus 4TB Internal SSD PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe

NVMe (PCIe Gen4 x4) technology with up to 5000MB/s sequential reads, random read/write 650K/900K IOPS
is -44% $224.99
List Price: $399.99

at Amazon
FYI.
Flash prices are In a free fall.

Don't fall for the stagnated 2 terabyte nvme pcie gen 5 overpriced ssds.

Last edited:
I just finished Jedi: Fallen Order two weeks ago after getting it at Christmas. Most recent Star Wars games have been pretty meh, but I really enjoyed this one. Not as good IMO as Dark Forces II/Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy (dating myself here 😀), but still pretty good. Looking forward to getting Jedi: Survivor in a few years when it hits the bargain bin (I refuse to pay $70 for a game).

God I'd wish they'd reboot Dark Forces. I remember installing it form 48 1.44MB floppy discs.

Back