Steve Wozniak thinks you should quit Facebook

midian182

Staff member
Big quote: “You should figure a way to get off Facebook.” That’s the advice Apple co-founder Steve ‘Woz’ Wozniak offers, warning that technology firms are invading our privacy now more than ever. His solution? Let people pay to keep their data more secure and private.

Wozniak was questioned at Reagan National Airport in Washington, D.C, by TMZ, who asked whether our devices were listening to private conversations to find out more information about us. The theory that this happens to serve people targeted ads has been around for years, and Mark Zuckerberg was forced to assure Congress in 2018 that it doesn’t happen.

The Woz confessed that the situation was one he was worried about, but doesn’t think it’s something we can stop. “But, everything about you... I mean, they can measure your heartbeat with lasers now, they can listen to you with a lot of devices. Who knows if my cellphone’s listening right now. Alexa has already been in the news a lot,” he said.

“So I worry because you’re having conversations that you think are private [...] You’re saying words that really shouldn’t be listened to, because you don’t expect it. But there’s almost no way to stop it.”

Wozniak’s opinion of the social network shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise. At the height of the Cambridge Analytica scandal last year, he was one of the many people to join the #deleteFacebook movement, publicly announcing that he was quitting the platform over privacy concerns.

As he did back then, Wozniak reiterated his solution to the problem: let people pay for increased privacy. “People think they have a level of privacy they don’t. Why don’t they give me a choice? Let me pay a certain amount, and you’ll keep my data more secure and private then everybody else handing it to advertisers.” It’s an option Sheryl Sandberg has talked about in the past. The Facebook COO said users would need to pay to avoid having their data used for advertising.

Just how many users would be willing to pay Facebook to keep their data private remains to be seen; most people who feel that strongly about the subject are unlikely to ever use the platform.

One group that agrees with Wozniak are teens and young adults, who are abandoning the social network in droves in favor of YouTube, Snapchat, and Instagram.

Permalink to story.

"One group that agrees with Wozniak are teens and young adults, who are abandoning the social network in droves in favor of YouTube, Snapchat, and Instagram."

Seriously? They're not abandoning Facebook to go to 'Google', 'less successful Facebook', 're-skinned facebook' over privacy concerns. They're abandoning it to get away from the crazy stuff their family posts.

Fun fact:
TMZ stands for Thirty Mile Zone

I left the book for the third time probably three years ago now, and haven't had any urge at all to go back. It's 90% memes, drama , clout chasers, and useless quotes and videos pulled from the net.

It's 90% memes, drama , clout chasers, and useless quotes and videos pulled from the net.
You know you can customize what you see, right?

Anyways, I just use it to stay connected, and see what I want to (which isn't much these days). Don't care to post anything anymore...

It's 90% memes, drama , clout chasers, and useless quotes and videos pulled from the net.
You know you can customize what you see, right?

Anyways, I just use it to stay connected, and see what I want to (which isn't much these days). Don't care to post anything anymore...

Yeah, you can customize what you see..if you want to make it a part-time job, because FB will fight you at every turn.

Yeah, you can customize what you see..if you want to make it a part-time job, because FB will fight you at every turn.
Naw. An ad-blocker and selective pages/friends to follow is enough to start.

And I have a plugin that auto-removes more bloat. Otherwise, I haven't touched settings for a long while...

IMO, Woz has been a bit off for quite some time; however, paying for privacy demonstrates he is clueless. Those selling our data should pay us.

I agree about a premium version that 1) doesn't serve you targeted ads and 2) as well doesn't sell your information.

I would pay for a FB premium. If I could I would abandon it, but alas I have groups that are too large that I need to interact with that ONLY use FB because they are sheeple.

Saying that IG SC, etc are any better is a real hoot. IG is owned by FB for one, lol. None of them are great at protecting their users. Ad and information mining is what keeps their doors open. Everybody wants EVERYTHING for free yet they cry when that comes at a different cost than from your wallet. Entitled sheeple. period. end of story.

Why do you need social media in the first place? seems things have gotten worse since it blew up imo.

I personally use it for groups & I run my own community page to share information and announcements about new developments & projects in my area. I personally rarely ever use FB on a personal level. I don't post anything on my personal page and I rarely ever comment on friend pages. Yet I still would miss it if it were to go away.

You can protect your data without paying anything, simply don't use Facebook. Not using it is also easier than using it. My question is why is Facebook the only social media platform that's talked about? Instagram is owned by the Zucc as well and Its getting more popular.

Everything in moderation, having a basic page with your basic info and life milestones (finished college, marriage, kids) is nice to have so others can keep up if they choose and you can do the same. I noticed most of the people I have seen complaining about privacy on online platforms are the ones who willingly share all there intimate thoughts to facebook, twitter, instagram. I closed my facebook down to stop the constant bot friend requests.

I agree about a premium version that 1) doesn't serve you targeted ads and 2) as well doesn't sell your information.

I would pay for a FB premium. If I could I would abandon it, but alas I have groups that are too large that I need to interact with that ONLY use FB because they are sheeple.

Saying that IG SC, etc are any better is a real hoot. IG is owned by FB for one, lol. None of them are great at protecting their users. Ad and information mining is what keeps their doors open. Everybody wants EVERYTHING for free yet they cry when that comes at a different cost than from your wallet. Entitled sheeple. period. end of story.

The problem is that you would not be willing to pay what they make on your back with your privacy. It is between 200-250$ average per person at a market value(not per year).

Should give you an idea with the following link.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/120114/how-does-facebook-fb-make-money.asp

Last edited:
First steve does advertise his courses on instagram and facebook so he uses the service
Second there is a clear rivalry between apple and fb with most negative comments coming from apple and on the wealth sidenof it all mark is worth way more than all the executives and founders of apple combined and maybe times 10 or even 20 or more

Third I would takrle advice from people who are healthly and wealthy of which he is not.

I left the book for the third time probably three years ago now, and haven't had any urge at all to go back. It's 90% memes, drama , clout chasers, and useless quotes and videos pulled from the net.

Your first mistake was going back the first time, your second mistake was going back the second time. But your biggest mistake was signing up in the first place. I also made that big mistake, but at least I never went back after deleting my account permanently. Looking back you just have to ask yourself why you even bothered with the BS to begin with.

Your first mistake was going back the first time, your second mistake was going back the second time. But your biggest mistake was signing up in the first place. I also made that big mistake, but at least I never went back after deleting my account permanently. Looking back you just have to ask yourself why you even bothered with the BS to begin with.

I initially joined to find old high school friends to see what they were up to. Then it was to keep in touch with family that didn't live near me. Then I got tired of what they spent their time posting, which was useless stuff.

More clickbait. The people that make the biggest stink about Facebook are people that are not on it. I run several Facebook groups and don't have any problems. I wish the brain dead retards would just get off the internet and go back into your cave,

Even if Facebook had a paid service to keep data "private" I still wouldn't trust it.
I'm in the same boat. I've uninstalled everything facebook quite some time ago... its best to not have facebook on any device and use a protected tab / secure enclave to browse the site itself when you do have to go on (assuming you have it at all).

"let people pay for increased privacy."

That's the stupidest idea I've heard in a long time but what can one expect from someone like wozniak. The default should be complete privacy. Then the phone/tablet/app-people should pay us if they want to make some of our stuff public. They are the ones benefiting from making our information public, not us. I do NOT consider it an advantage to be bombarded with ads for things I probably don't want & don't need, I consider it an annoyance so I think you should pay me for the privilege of disturbing my peace with your flippin ads!

Back