Tesla Semi truck pricing goes live and is reasonably affordable

Greg S

After the big unveiling of Tesla's new short haul semi truck that was largely overshadowed by the Roadster 2, we now know roughly what it is going to cost to purchase the electric truck.

The Tesla Semi will start at around $150,000 for a model with a range limited to 300 miles. For the full 500-mile range, an additional $30,000 is required. A Founders Series edition is available for $200,000 which guarantees one of the first 1,000 semis off the production line. All models are driven by four independent motors located on the rear axles of the truck that are capable of moving 80,000-pound loads.

Compared to diesel trucks, the range limitation will undoubtedly be a concern for businesses considering making the switch to electric vehicles. However, an estimated cost savings of more than $200,000 over its life will garner some interest for companies that do not need long-range capabilities. Even still, a 30-minute break for recharging after every seven hours of highway driving may be acceptable if it means saving money in the long run.

Safety features may also be a point of consideration when looking at the semi. Tesla has made it impossible to jackknife and unlikely to roll over with a very low center of gravity compared to equivalent diesel competitors.

Adding on extra features will surely increase the price tags of these new trucks. To order a Tesla Semi, a $20,000 deposit is required for standard models. The Founders Series requires that the full $200,000 be paid up front.

The first trucks will begin rolling off the production line in 2019.

Permalink to story.

“Jackknifing is impossible,” Musk said at the Tesla Semi unveiling. Apparently it uses some sort of stability control to supposedly make it impossible to jackknife. I'm not buying it... in some situations physics will take over and no amount of stability control can save you. Wonder how long it will be until we see a picture of a jackknifed Tesla Semi? Anyone want to make a bet?

In what country would it be legal to drive for 7 hours without a break?

"Even still, a 30-minute break for recharging after every seven hours of highway driving may be acceptable if it means saving money in the long run."

I'd like to have one just for driving around town, Jack rabbit starts would be fun, until the local cops took notice. Also, this would be nice for hauling a mobile home around in style. I'll wait until a used one comes on the market, one that hasn't been jackknifed.

I love diesel engines. Torque and power! The only problem with diesel engines is that when it breaks, it is really costly to fix an engine with all that high compression going in there. If I am a truck owner, I will considerably switch to this for sure. I am sure all blind spots will be covered with safety features.

While they might call it "reasonably priced" I could not help but notice their "up front" purchasing policy which suggests there might be a reason they need their money up front or they are afraid others might see the truck as failing to deliver on their promises and cancelling orders. With that policy I would expect 30 days net on the delivery once they have the cash .....

I presume there will be aftermarket generator especially build for this semi truck that you can haul in the trailer and the tank under for those that want to make high mileage.

While they might call it "reasonably priced" I could not help but notice their "up front" purchasing policy which suggests there might be a reason they need their money up front or they are afraid others might see the truck as failing to deliver on their promises and cancelling orders. With that policy I would expect 30 days net on the delivery once they have the cash .....
To be fair, the article says that the up front payment policy only applies to the founders edition.

It would make allot more sense to just have autonomous battery carrier vehicles swap out the batteries while on the road. Zero downtime that way.

“Jackknifing is impossible,” Musk said at the Tesla Semi unveiling. Apparently it uses some sort of stability control to supposedly make it impossible to jackknife. I'm not buying it... in some situations physics will take over and no amount of stability control can save you. Wonder how long it will be until we see a picture of a jackknifed Tesla Semi? Anyone want to make a bet?

Sometimes it is the ESP that makes things go awry. It can be like trying to control 4 dogs going in cardinal directions while you are wearing skates.

"Safety features may also be a point of consideration when looking at the semi. Tesla has made it impossible to jackknife and unlikely to roll over with a very low center of gravity compared to equivalent diesel competitors".

Well, it's obvious that this truck has to be better than its competitors, because Musk says so...:eek:

And now for the reality check. A low CG will have little effect on the truck's performance in say, snow and ice. :D

And then there's this whole pedantic Newtonian sh!t:

"A body in motion tends to remain in motion, and in the same plane of motion, unless acted upon by outside forces".

So, while it may not jack knife as easily as a conventional truck, if you get it going sideways fast enough, it will likely roll over instead.

Also, and quite frankly, a low CG would actually enhance the vehicle's ability to break though a guard rail, as you'd have more mass at the point of contact. Instead of jumping a guard rail it would just go through it.

In what country would it be legal to drive for 7 hours without a break?

"Even still, a 30-minute break for recharging after every seven hours of highway driving may be acceptable if it means saving money in the long run."

In the US you can drive up to 8 consecutive hours before you have to take a 30 minute break. I believe depending on how you do your breaks and sleep time you can drive up to about 16 hours in a 24hr period.

So very interesting, exciting and makes me happy for a few reasons.

1. Not my money being spent on purchasing them
2. No one is pushing as hard and fast as Tesla is with electric cars, trucks etc.
3. I really want an electric road bike that is affordable and good.
4. Elon Musk has a bit of a shady past (same as bill gates but he cured polio) but I really want an affordable electric road bike.

TLDR: I really want an electric road bike that is affordable and I think Tesla will be the ones to do it.

So very interesting, exciting and makes me happy for a few reasons.

1. Not my money being spent on purchasing them
2. No one is pushing as hard and fast as Tesla is with electric cars, trucks etc.
3. I really want an electric road bike that is affordable and good.
4. Elon Musk has a bit of a shady past (same as bill gates but he cured polio) but I really want an affordable electric road bike.

TLDR: I really want an electric road bike that is affordable and I think Tesla will be the ones to do it.
Yes, Tesla would make the best one, not the most affordable one, but their example will inspire others and someone will build the "model T" of electric bikes, the affordable everyman's model. Or, bikes will be outlawed, since they could never be driverless/autonomous. Better get one soon, before they make motorcycle riding a felony...

Back