Watch passengers' reactions as Tesla's Roadster goes from 0-60 in 1.9 seconds

midian182

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Back in November last year, Tesla unveiled its upcoming $200,000 Roadster. The company claims that with a 0 – 60 mph time of 1.9 seconds, it will be the “fastest production car ever.” Now, the firm has released a video of the EV's first test rides, showing the effects that kind of acceleration has on people.

Going from a stationary position to 60 miles an hour in under two seconds elicits a similar response from most passengers, which is to use the words “Holy” and “God” in combination with some other phrases, most of them explicit.

Tesla’s Model S P100D is no slouch itself, able to do 0 – 60 in 2.5 seconds while in ludicrous mode. Some owners have managed to get that time even lower, but the Roadster still has it beat.

Other stats include a 0 – 100 time of 4.2 seconds, and it can do a standing quarter mile in 8.8 seconds. And while some EV’s top speeds aren’t as impressive as their acceleration, the Roadster can reach over 250 mph—not too far off Koenigsegg’s Agera RS hypercar, which one driver took to 277.9 mph.

Other impressive specs include a 200 kWh battery that will offer around 630 miles of highway driving, four seats, three motors, all-wheel drive, and torque steering.

$200,000 is a pretty steep price to pay for a car, but it’s a lot cheaper than the Koenigsegg Agera RS’ approximate $2.1 million price tag, or the £2.7 million you’d pay for a Bugatti Chiron. If you’re determined to own the quickest EV out there, the Roadster will be available sometime during 2020.

Permalink to story.

Why is almost everyone in that video holding a phone? Not like you're gonna get the sense of speed captured in a video.

Also I'm curious to see how does this thing do around the track? If it's gonna be a sports car it shouldn't be all about straight line acceleration.

And in as much as there are no roadways where it's legal to drive that fast, what's the purpose? If Tesla would actually come through on his promise to build a "reliable & economical" car that could be afforded by the middle class it would be impressive. If Hitler and Ford could do it, why can't Tesla? Oh yeah, ego, I forgot about that ....... LOL

And in as much as there are no roadways where it's legal to drive that fast, what's the purpose?

I beg to differ. Maybe it doesn't affect most of the world, but I drive on the German autobahn daily, where in many areas there are no speed limits. Having a fast car has it's benefits.
I'll admit, 400Km/h is ridiculous, but the 200's (125-180mph) are most certainly doable in reasonable safety, in good weather, in some areas of the autobahn.

I beg to differ. Maybe it doesn't affect most of the world, but I drive on the German autobahn daily, where in many areas there are no speed limits. Having a fast car has it's benefits.
I'll admit, 400Km/h is ridiculous, but the 200's (125-180mph) are most certainly doable in reasonable safety, in good weather, in some areas of the autobahn.
It would certainly be different if there were a substantial number of places in the world where driving such speeds were possible. However, its not.

Even then, IMO, such acceleration is unneeded. As @Uncle Al said, it would be much better if Tesla concentrated on making their cars substantially more affordable; however, Musk seems more fixated on finding a way to jail rather than on doing anything really meaningful - especially with his announcement this weekend that the authorities cannot control him.

It would certainly be different if there were a substantial number of places in the world where driving such speeds were possible. However, its not.

Even then, IMO, such acceleration is unneeded. As @Uncle Al said, it would be much better if Tesla concentrated on making their cars substantially more affordable; however, Musk seems more fixated on finding a way to jail rather than on doing anything really meaningful - especially with his announcement this weekend that the authorities cannot control him.
Well making cars more affordable is a matter of scale, something that Tesla is actively pursuing. Something like this is to show 1) what Tesla engineers are capable of and 2) you don't need a massive gas engine to get bug horsepower numbers and have fun.

People have a love of cars. The roadster is meant to show that we can still have fun cars in an electrified future. It isn't so much a product as it is an idea of what the future of sports cars could be.

Well making cars more affordable is a matter of scale, something that Tesla is actively pursuing. Something like this is to show 1) what Tesla engineers are capable of and 2) you don't need a massive gas engine to get bug horsepower numbers and have fun.

People have a love of cars. The roadster is meant to show that we can still have fun cars in an electrified future. It isn't so much a product as it is an idea of what the future of sports cars could be.
Having fun is subjective. I have fun in my Prius driving back and forth to work each day and visiting the gas station perhaps once a month or less.

I've heard people where I work telling stories about the speed they hit on a nearby off-ramp from a local expressway. Its not for me. There are very limited places where one can "have fun" in a vehicle. It may be your thing, but it is not mine. I am more the practical type and, as I see it, acceleration at this level has little practical use. My Prius has 274-ft*lbs of torque. While it is SLOW off the line, there are situations where adding that torque for acceleration makes it feel like my old Integra. Do I really need it? No, I don't. I need a vehicle that gets me from point a to point b safely. The torque came standard.

I think it would be difficult to find someone technically knowledgeable who does not know that an EV can demolish an ICEV in terms of acceleration. That Tesla keeps on hammering on how fast their vehicles can accelerate is something that makes me think they really don't give a :poop: whether their cars are affordable or not. Tesla has been working towards an economic version of their cars since day one, and still have not produced it. My bet is that with the impending releases of EVs from other manufacturers, Tesla stands a great chance of becoming the next Edsel.

Right now, I am sure they have a captive market of people with the perfect combination of disposable income, gotta have the latest gadget, enjoy bragging, and all that comes with that mindset. Tesla reminds me of Compaq, and the latest company stuck in the "we have such outstanding products, why would anyone buy anything else" mindset - sIntel.

As I see it, Musk is and has been more interested in bragging than in being the next Henry Ford.

Having fun is subjective. I have fun in my Prius driving back and forth to work each day and visiting the gas station perhaps once a month or less.

I've heard people where I work telling stories about the speed they hit on a nearby off-ramp from a local expressway. Its not for me. There are very limited places where one can "have fun" in a vehicle. It may be your thing, but it is not mine. I am more the practical type and, as I see it, acceleration at this level has little practical use. My Prius has 274-ft*lbs of torque. While it is SLOW off the line, there are situations where adding that torque for acceleration makes it feel like my old Integra. Do I really need it? No, I don't. I need a vehicle that gets me from point a to point b safely. The torque came standard.

I think it would be difficult to find someone technically knowledgeable who does not know that an EV can demolish an ICEV in terms of acceleration. That Tesla keeps on hammering on how fast their vehicles can accelerate is something that makes me think they really don't give a :poop: whether their cars are affordable or not. Tesla has been working towards an economic version of their cars since day one, and still have not produced it. My bet is that with the impending releases of EVs from other manufacturers, Tesla stands a great chance of becoming the next Edsel.

Right now, I am sure they have a captive market of people with the perfect combination of disposable income, gotta have the latest gadget, enjoy bragging, and all that comes with that mindset. Tesla reminds me of Compaq, and the latest company stuck in the "we have such outstanding products, why would anyone buy anything else" mindset - sIntel.

As I see it, Musk is and has been more interested in bragging than in being the next Henry Ford.
Well you don't build the three largest factories overnight and only one is completed. Go buy a Chevy bolt if you want an electric car that goes from a to b. Tesla is a luxury brand first. Complaining that Tesla's are expensive is like getting mad about Mercedes being expensive. It isn't just Tesla trying to make an affordable all electric car, it's everyone. The cost of these vehicles is limited by the cost of batteries. Then the model 3s that are out all have options making more expensive than a base model. This isn't Teslas doing, its the sales people ordering them for customers.

And as a car guy I would like you to know your Prius is the but of nearly every car joke. Your opinion on what makes a car fun is invalid.

And let's not forget that Tesla is a publicly traded company that has a board of directors that serve investors. Of which, musk is no longer on. The decision to make this car was decided by the company, not musk

That Agera went 284,3 mph in second run :)
World record rules state that it has to drive once in each direction in a strip of road then the speed gets averaged between the two runs. Roads aren't perfect, wind direction plays a part. They do this because things outside the cars control can change a vehicles top speed

So it's going to be the world's fastest car but it's almost as fast as the world's fastest car is now but that car will still be faster must be something Musk came up with.

Why is that "boring"? Do exciting people have to be dumb?
Or how boring of a person do you have to be to class "having fun" is driving a notoriously boring car to a gas station?

Edit: I understand not everyone is a car person, not everyone enjoys a harsh ride or crazy powerful engines or anything like that, but come on. Driving a Prius to a gas station? You gotta be pretty boring in general to find that in anyway thrilling or any kind of fun...

While the name Roadster suggests it's for road driving, this is really a track car. That's where the fun is and is the purpose of this machine.

However, you can still enjoy the acceleration up to the local speed limit everywhere you're not stuck in traffic and assuming it also has reasonable lateral grip and brakes, there are many fun twisties all over this planet to enjoy driving this one of a kind machine.

Visiting gas station once a month is fun, I could use that. Looking at prius each morning isn't. Maybe I am to sensitive regarding how cars look, but I cant stand having ugly things around me.

Visiting gas station once a month is fun, I could use that. Looking at prius each morning isn't. Maybe I am to sensitive regarding how cars look, but I cant stand having ugly things around me.
Prius styling does suck, but they are good cars. Reliable and cheap to maintain while being good on gas. They just aren't fun cars. They have a place in the car world but they're more appliance than they are car.

There are rally cars that can do this in 1.6 seconds. It's cool it's an electric car, but it's not the only car out there to do it.

Then Roadster will make a crazy "rally" car... just imagine a weight reduction mod plus maybe, a firmware hack...

Back