Windows 10 Spring Creators Update: A guide to some of the biggest changes

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft’s next big OS update, the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update, is in the final stages of testing ahead of an expected rollout next month. As is typical with these sorts of updates, there are an overwhelming number of changes in the pipeline although a handful are significant enough to warrant conversation.

Timeline was announced at Microsoft’s Build 2017 conference and was slated to arrive as part of the Fall Creators Update. It missed the deadline, however, and was pushed back to the spring update.

Essentially an extension of Windows 10’s Task View, Timeline is more or less a “visual timeline” of previous activities, allowing users to easily “jump back in time” to an earlier session (as far back as 30 days). It’s similar to Apple’s continuity feature but will be cross-platform and support both Android and iOS devices.

Microsoft Edge, a staple in Windows 10, is additionally due for some important updates – many of which bring the browser in line with competitors. For example, you’ll soon be able to mute audio from a specific tab, save free ePub eBooks and have the browser automatically fill out online forms on your behalf. The ePub and PDF bookmarks UI has been revised, as has the Hub to feature a new hamburger-style menu.

Cortana, meanwhile, now boasts a new Notebook UI and showcases the user’s profile picture in the hamburger menu. The assistant’s proactive content will now appear in the Action Center, we’re told, and there is even a new Collections / Lists app for creating and syncing lists across multiple devices.

Also new for the Spring Creators Update is Quick Pair. As the name suggests, this feature will make it much easier to pair a new Bluetooth device to your Windows 10 machine – with one click, in some cases. The feature will reportedly require manufacturer support, however, which will no doubt delay adoption but over time and with proper support, this could be a handy addition.

Expect some changes in the visual department as well. Hints of Microsoft’s Fluent Design first appeared in the Fall Creators Update but will have a much greater impact in the pending release. There’s not a single specific change that really stands out in this category – it’s more the sum of its parts, small changes scattered throughout the shell that’ll contribute to the aesthetic overhaul.

The visual reworking of Windows 10 is expected to continue deep into 2018 with Redstone 5 in the fall.

These are just a few of the many changes coming to Windows 10 machines next month as part of the Spring Creators Update. For an exhaustive guide on Redstone 4, be sure to check out Windows Central as they detail many of the pending updates that result in a new feature or big change.

Permalink to story.

Wonderful. more ways for MS to jack up my image causing me to have to rebuild my damned machine yet again. they really need to just fork this crap. provide a traditional sec update only option and then their silly Saas model. This last time with the FCU it jacked up my data upload speeds no matter the interface to the point that I have to rebuild because even MS themselves recommends it. *****s.

Wonderful. more ways for MS to jack up my image causing me to have to rebuild my damned machine yet again. they really need to just fork this crap. provide a traditional sec update only option and then their silly Saas model. This last time with the FCU it jacked up my data upload speeds no matter the interface to the point that I have to rebuild because even MS themselves recommends it. *****s.

Indeed. It's been a hard time to keep Windows working with forced borked driver updates or Meltdown/Spectre updates that cause boot errors and the like. Even if you fix it, Windows is eager to break itself again, which'll eventually turn out in a Reset or complete re-install after not so much time.

Indeed. It's been a hard time to keep Windows working with forced borked driver updates or Meltdown/Spectre updates that cause boot errors and the like. Even if you fix it, Windows is eager to break itself again, which'll eventually turn out in a Reset or complete re-install after not so much time.

It is totally ridiculous really. Why did I pay for a Pro license if not to have the historical flexibility that it has had? Someone honestly needs to fire up a CALS in one of the Liberal states to get this lunacy addressed.

I'm glad they're finally adding some useful content. Performance and user control are finally taking a front seat to all the glitter fluff.

They really need to make LTSB an option for everyone, not just enterprise. It would help a little bit at least.

Here's my 2 cents and I'm sure it will cause a lot of flack. The worst Windows install you will ever get is a free windows upgrade. It has been my experience that if you do a clean install and keep your machine maintained, you will not have any problems.
Sure it's a lot of work, but so is fighting a blotched W10 install all the time.
Here's link from techspot. https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6734-windows-10-installation-tool.html
PS You can still get W10 free. Here's link from techspot.;)
https://www.techspot.com/article/1300-windows-10-free-upgrade-loopholes/

Last edited:
The last update broke the connection with my NAS (Open Media Vault) by retiring the protocol Windows needed to access it. Fortunately I was able to reactivate it manually, but great that things just get changed without any notice.

I have 10 on two of my six computers. I like it less every time I use it and no updates are worth the hassle. 10 makes EZ difficult. My genetics professor told the class on day one...Don't make an easy thing hard

OK! You will have support for two more years, and then you will have to make a decision; unless MS extends the support for two more years. Who knows what MS will do. I loved W7 and vowed I would never upgrade to W10, but I'm getting use to it, and it's growing on me. I have a back up image of W7, if I ever want to go back. I'm thinking you can still upgrade to W10 for free.
Here's my suggestion. Create a back up image of W7 with a third party image program. Then get the free W10 upgrade while it's still free. Create a back up image of W10. Now you can go back and forth as many times as your heart desires.
Anyone disagree. or have a comment? I'm always wanting to learn new things.;)(y) MS will get it together before long. It might take more time, but I'm betting MS "Will-Get-Er-Done"

I don't know what all the hype is about. There wasn't anything mentioned above to spike my interest.
Hi friend! I'm not trying to spike your interest. I just posted what I have done with this free windows10 upgrade. I have images of both OS,s( W7 and W10) on a external drive and I can switch back and forth any time I want to.;) Would have to deal with updates, but that's a minor problem. I'm not planning on going back to W7;)

Here's my 2 cents and I'm sure it will cause a lot of flack. The worst Windows install you will ever get is a free windows upgrade. It has been my experience that if you do a clean install and keep your machine maintained, you will not have any problems.
Sure it's a lot of work, but so is fighting a blotched W10 install all the time.
Here's link from techspot. https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6734-windows-10-installation-tool.html
PS You can still get W10 free. Here's link from techspot.;)
https://www.techspot.com/article/1300-windows-10-free-upgrade-loopholes/
The free upgrade, from Windows 7 or 8.1 to 10, ended on December 31, 2017.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

The last thing I heard is you can still get the free update if you have a W7 or W8 key. I know that it was supposed to end on December 31,2017 but as far as I know, you can still get the free upgrade. That may end any day?;)

With 1100 machines, I can see why these changes can be a big PITA. What OS were you using before W7?
For those that only have a couple of PC,s, a clean install is the way to go IMHO. I haven't really tried to research why MS changes their OS every so often . I guess it could be for money, but also I think MS tries to improve their product. I have heard this will be the last big OS. No W11. I guess we'll see if that is true in a few years. I loved W7, but I'll learn to live with W10, and might even say some day that W10 is the best OS MS ever built. There will always be lovers and haters of W10. You have two more years for W7 support. Who knows what W10 will look like in two years. I think we all can agree that Vista and W8 were disasters. I never ran either of them.

Last edited:
My thoughts are if you had a OS that had been maintained without a lot of bloatware, then you probably got a good upgrade. If you had a lot of bloatware, you probably experienced some issues.;)
I've never had a problem either, with any updates or drivers and I've been using Windows 10 since beta.
Here's a quote from a link I posted above. This pretty well sums it up why some users have problems, while others don't.
Doing a clean install is your better choice
Building an operating system is not easy, even more when you try to design it to work across thousands of different hardware configurations. At least during the early days, errors, bugs, and other issues are expected. However, many of these issues can easily be avoided doing a clean install of Windows 10, instead of an in-place upgrade keeping files and apps.

A clean install basically wipes out your previous version of the operating system, and it’ll delete your programs, settings, and personal files. Then a fresh copy of Windows 10 will install with the latest feature update.

Of course, this process takes longer, because it requires you to do a backup of your files to an external drive or OneDrive. You have to reapply your custom settings, and reinstall your previous applications. However, because there is not data or settings migration, you’ll avoid a lot of issues.

With 1100 machines, I can see why these changes can be a big PITA. What OS were you using before W7?

Windows 2000.

We skipped Vista along with most people. Windows 7 did everything right from a business perspective for us.

For us the majority of headaches have been issues with third party software like Cisco, IP phone software, Security, older homegrown apps etc. Its merely an inconvenience for a home user with a few machines when a piece of third party software breaks or an update screws up some feature. If it were for only the initial roll-out of Windows 10, that's certainly manageable but we have to deal with this stuff every six months now.

I think that is where the large disparity between Windows 10 lovers and haters appears. Windows 10 Pro does not seem to be very professional to me in a business environment. Microsoft's strategy is to do what they want and force the industry traditionally and in some respects this is necessary and beneficial but their recent moves have left me scratching my head at times.

I think their end game is simple, home users don't really care as much and business users ad better get on board with Windows 10 Enterprise and Azure AD to control the annoying features and learn to like the subscription based service. Additionally what do they care about 3rd party vendors, use Microsoft's offerings if you don't like it.

I understand, I just don't like it.

Hi. It's really hard to navigate on the TS forum tonight, but I have learned some tricks . For those who love W10, I just downloaded the latest update. The next big one will probably be the Spring update in April. I wish I had all the answers for you, but I don't. I do the best I can with what I have. LOL
PS I went to the Windows catalog and down loaded and installed the latest updates manually.;)
The latest is 4089848. It took awhile but it went well. Here's my proof!;)
Capture25.JPG

Back