"Windows 9" preview set to arrive later this year, will focus on desktop users

Shawn Knight

Staff member

windows update

While a second update to Windows 8.1 is just around the bend, it's a larger update codenamed Threshold that's getting most of Microsoft's attention these days. Said update, which could arrive as Windows 9, isn't expected until the spring of 2015 although a preview is set to arrive later this year according to a report from ZDNet's well-informed Mary Jo Foley.

It should come as little surprise that one of Microsoft's main goals with Threshold is to make it a more viable option for users still clinging on to Windows 7 whether by preference or necessity.

To do this, the Redmond-based company will be adding several new features aimed at "desktop" users - a segment that many felt was largely ignored with Windows 8's heavy mobile focus. For example, the Start Menu was expected to return in the next Windows 8.1 update but it has since been pushed back to Threshold.

While it was nice to see Microsoft looking to the future with touch-oriented controls and the like, the reality is that many systems still rely on a keyboard and mouse as the primary (only) method of input.

It's still too early to know for sure but Foley's sources tell her that Threshold is looking like it could arrive as a free update for all Windows 8.1 users and maybe even Windows 7 Service Pack 1 users. We'll no doubt be hearing more on the subject in the coming weeks and months.

Permalink to story.

"still clinging on to Windows 7"

But...but...I am so afraid of change.......that's why I CLING!!! Yes, I am a CLINGGER!!!

"the Redmond-based company will be adding several new features aimed at "desktop" users"

They better be. For their own sake really.

While a second update to Windows 8.1 is just around the bend...
Windows has gone around the bend quite enough at this point, time to regain sanity.

Last edited:
Unless Metro is totally overhauled or scrapped Microsoft is wasting their time. Personally I'd like to see live tiles get full color icons or just photo backgrounds with text, and turned into sidebar gadgets.

I'm thinking all of us Windows 8.1 users should get Windows 9 for free. We put up with all the tile nonsense since release and to get a real Windows experience back should be on them.

I am Windows 7 user and will never use Windows 8-8.1-9 never ever. Astala Vista.

I'm also a Windows 7 user and will give windows 9 a try it if caters to my needs as a desktop user.

My only problem with windows 8 is metro I like everything else under the hood.

I have used Windows 8 since day one and for 99% of that time I have not seen the Metro screen or a single tile. I have been very happy with Windows 8, works much better than 7 for me.
Pretty much the same experience for me also. Had a play with Metro during the beta phase, but since the retail version dropped it's been boot to desktop. 8 has been quite a pleasant surprise overall.

I have used Windows 8 since day one and for 99% of that time I have not seen the Metro screen or a single tile. I have been very happy with Windows 8, works much better than 7 for me.

Can you please offer some examples. What is it that works so much better for you on Windows 8 than it does on Windows 7?

Can you please offer some examples. What is it that works so much better for you on Windows 8 than it does on Windows 7?
Can't answer for Steve, but as someone who gets to troubleshoot a lot of graphics issues with computers, I'd say the WDDM issues are much reduced. Memory resource allocation and usage is also improved - some games running heavy mods not originally envisaged for the engine act noticeably better under 8.

Yeah I have given up on most of the techspot community as far as windows 8/8.1 goes, they view it as some massive change from 7, I thought Microsoft didn't go far enough. Most people who hate 8/8.1 have spent a couple messing with it or less. If it was missing a feature that you needed, and yes some features were removed from 8/8.1 that were in 7, then I can completely understand not liking the OS. For mobile windows 8/8.1 is fantastic especially if your a pro tablet user, on desktop it takes 3 min to customize the start menu to be desktop user centric and non-app based. Guess most people don have 3 min...

Unless Metro is totally overhauled or scrapped Microsoft is wasting their time. Personally I'd like to see live tiles get full color icons or just photo backgrounds with text, and turned into sidebar gadgets.
You know you can turn off live tiles and make the icons as large and small as you want?

Yeah I have given up on most of the techspot community as far as windows 8/8.1 goes, they view it as some massive change from 7, I thought Microsoft didn't go far enough. Most people who hate 8/8.1 have spent a couple messing with it or less. If it was missing a feature that you needed, and yes some features were removed from 8/8.1 that were in 7, then I can completely understand not liking the OS. For mobile windows 8/8.1 is fantastic especially if your a pro tablet user, on desktop it takes 3 min to customize the start menu to be desktop user centric and non-app based. Guess most people don have 3 min...

Oh wow, lots of sneaky little mind tricks in your post.

Are we supposed to believe that anyone who doesn't like Windows 8/8.1 has spent 3 minutes or less with the new operating system? :)

"For mobile windows 8/8.1 is fantastic especially if your a pro tablet user" Rarely does anyone talk about hating Windows 8 as a tablet operating system. So this adds nothing to the discussion.

"on desktop it takes 3 min to customize the start menu to be desktop user centric and non-app based" Since 8.1 yes, not since launch and ONLY because of the huge massive deafening outcry of millions of unhappy users.

"I thought Microsoft didn't go far enough." Really? Not simplistic enough for you. What more could you ask for out of a touch operating system that Windows 8/8.1 hasn't already delivered? Did you want them to strip mouse and keyboard support? That's what you wanted. :) Ah, wouldn't that be sweet.

Classic Shell (free open source) will give you the look and feel of 7, but with the benefits of 8.
Every advanced user I know has gladly made the switch after seeing my PC running with Classic Shell. Except for one hot head who lives with blind rage that 8 didn't come out of the box EXACTLY how he wanted it to.

I simply can't understand the mindset, you're supposed to be techies, you root your phones, hand build your PC, mod all your other programs on your PC, then sit and pout for years because you "shouldn't have to mod an OS to make it how you want it"

...and answered with reductio ad absurdum...

...how constructive

Bombastic, bitter party of one, your table is ready.

Why.....thank you....my fine friend for the compliment. Microsoft is bringing back the 'Start Menu' just for me? *blush* I feel so special. Thank you Microsoft. :) I wonder if Bill Gates will personally sign and deliver Windows 9 to my table? *fingers crossed*

Classic Shell (free open source) will give you the look and feel of 7, but with the benefits of 8.
Every advanced user I know has gladly made the switch after seeing my PC running with Classic Shell. Except for one hot head who lives with blind rage that 8 didn't come out of the box EXACTLY how he wanted it to.

I simply can't understand the mindset, you're supposed to be techies, you root your phones, hand build your PC, mod all your other programs on your PC, then sit and pout for years because you "shouldn't have to mod an OS to make it how you want it"

Easy answer. I am the customer. First rule of business. The customer is always right. That's how you run a successful business.

Out-of-box experience matters. Microsoft figured it out. They are doing 180's left and right. Windows 8, XBox, etc. Because you give the customer what the customer wants. Period.

I received Win 8 for free and I haven't had too much of a problem with it. I usually leave my computer running so the desktop is always available to me and when it isn't, its just a one tile key mouse click to get to it. I figured I'd be one of the ones calling for Bill Gates/Steve Ballmer's heads but honestly I really haven't had much problem with it.

Eh its sad to see them reverting to the older, better ways. I hate when companies do this... they try to "modernize" just to see it fail.

I'm thinking all of us Windows 8.1 users should get Windows 9 for free. We put up with all the tile nonsense since release and to get a real Windows experience back should be on them.
That should probably depend whether you got it accidentally, or on purpose.

If you went out and bought a copy of Windows 8 on you own, you should suffer with it. If you had it forced on you with a new computer, then you should be compensated.

Maybe former "victims" of lousy Windows editions, (Vista, Windows ME, Windows 8), should start one massive support group, "Weepers over Windows", and hold a yearly, "Cry In", at Redmond.

Back