Free to Try
The archive is usually a regular file, which name has a ".rar" suffix.
- RAR introduces an original compression algorithm. It allows higher compression ratios than other PC archiving tools, especially on executable files, object libraries, large text files, etc.
- RAR offers an optional compression algorithm highly optimized for multimedia data.
- RAR provides functionality for creating a 'solid' archive, which can raise the compression ratio by 10% - 50% over more common methods, particularly when packing large numbers of small files.
- RAR offers the ability to create and change SFX archives using default and external SFX modules.
- RAR offers the ability to create a multi-volume archive as SFX.
- RAR offers a number of service functions, such as setting a password, adding archive and file comments. Even physically damaged archives may be repaired and an archive may be locked to prevent further changes. Authenticity information may be added for additional security and RAR will store information on the last update and name of the archive.
- "Delete archive" extraction option deletes all volumes even if user started extraction from non-first RAR volume, but first volume is present and all files are unpacked successfully. In such case previous versions ignored "Delete archive" even if WinRAR was able to locate the first volume and process the volume set from beginning.
- Compression ratio bar is not displayed on "Archive" page of Explorer file properties for archives with encrypted file names. WinRAR cannot reliably calculate it for such archives without a password and previously it just displayed 0% here.
- WinRAR displayed "The specified password is incorrect" message infinitely when attempting to open RAR5 archive with encrypted file names if wrong global password was set with Ctrl+P
- Memory management bug in the password dialog could lead to access to already freed memory followed by crash. This issue may be also associated with security risks
- Fixed crashes in corrupt RAR, ACE and LZH archives. This issue may be also associated with security risks
- While starting, WinRAR could cause a brief flickering in menu bars of few other applications
- WinRAR "Find" command matched "String to find" against all archived files ignoring "File names to find" mask when searching in CAB archives
- SFX module "License" command did not set a title of license window
- If "Start-up folder" in WinRAR settings included the trailing backslash, WinRAR ignored first "Up one level" command.
Software similar to RAR for Mac 4
WinRAR is a powerful archive manager. It can backup your data and reduce the size of email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP and other files.
WinZip is bar none, the most popular and useful file compression utility out there.
- Free to Try
If the command line is not your thing - here's a GUI front-end for unrar.