Writer – a word processor you can use for anything from writing a quick letter to producing an entire book.
Calc – a powerful spreadsheet with all the tools you need to calculate, analyse, and present your data in numerical reports or sizzling graphics.
Impress – the fastest, most powerful way to create effective multimedia presentations. Vector drawing tool Draw – lets you produce everything from simple diagrams to dynamic 3D illustrations.
Base – lets you manipulate databases seamlessly. Create and modify tables, forms, queries, and reports, all from within OpenOffice.org
Math – lets you create mathematical equations with a graphic user interface or by directly typing your formulas into the equation editor.
- Mac OS X Support
- ODF 1.2 Support
- Microsoft Office 2007 Import Filters
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 is a Maintenance release incorporating important bug fixes. All users of Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 or earlier are advised to upgrade. You can download Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 here.
Please review these Release Notes to learn what is new in this version as well as important remarks concerning known issues and their workarounds.
Only use the original website "https://www.openoffice.org/download/" to download. The installed software can be verified with the About box (see menu "Help - About OpenOffice) by comparing the numbers with the reference data on the download webpage (see the text in the light green box). For Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 it has to be "AOO418m3 | Build ID 9803 | Rev. 18848f57b6".
- The OpenOffice SDK can now be built with Java 8
- Updated dictionaries
- Highlighted Improvements/Enhancements
- Cannot insert .dib pictures in documents
- Cannot connect to MediaWiki in options dialog
- Word Count Dialog: Last digit truncated at the right
- PDF Export crashes for Source Han Sans / Noto CJK fonts
- Fix for "The Password is incorrect. The file cannot be opened."
- Updated DejaVu fonts
- Replaced Quicktime with MacAVF
- Issue with layout of dialog "Solver"
- AOO Writer - Spellchecker: glitch
- For a complete overview of all resolved issues please see the list in Bugzilla.
- New and Updated Translations
- There are no new or updated languages.
- New and Updated Dictionaries
- There are no new dictionaries
- Asturian (ast) *
- Danish (da) *
- English (en-GB)
- Lithuanian (lt) *
* If you upgrade your installation of AOO you might find older dictionaries still installed. Be sure to remove them.
For a complete list of available languages and language packs see the download webpage (click the language drop-down-box).
Binaries are still provided for the same platforms as for the previous OpenOffice 4.x releases:
- Linux 32-bit (RPM and DEB)
- Linux 64-bit (RPM and DEB)
For macOS users
- Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 may be flagged by the Gatekeeper facility in macOS X. This is a feature to help guard against malware on Mac systems. The Apache OpenOffice disk images are signed by Apache as required by Apple, but Gatekeeper may still be triggered. If that happens, please follow the below steps.
- For Mac OS X up to 10.11 "El Capitan": There is a procedure laid out at the following link to allow applications not installed from the Mac App store to run. See the Mac support article
- For Mac OS X 10.12 "Sierra" and up: In Finder, Control-click or right click the icon of the app. Select Open from the top of contextual menu that appears. Click Open in the dialog box. If prompted, enter an administrator name and password. This is needed just the first time you launch Apache OpenOffice.
- Due to a known bug in Oracle Java installations of Apache OpenOffice on OSX that do not have the legacy Apple Java 6 installed will not be able to recognize Oracle Java 7, 8. If not able to upgrade to Java 9 then install the legacy version of Apple Java from the following link: Legacy Apple Java 6. This will allow the portions of AOO that require Java to run properly.
For Windows Users
- Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8 supports Java 8 (32-bit), which is the recommended configuration; but (especially on 64-bit Windows) you might receive warnings about the Java version being defective. In that case, download and install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package.