As featured in:
- The State of PC Gaming in 2019
- The State of PC Gaming in 2018
- Transfer Steam games to a new drive without redownloading
Instantly access to your favorite games
We have thousands of games from Action to Indie and everything in-between. Enjoy exclusive deals, automatic game updates and other great perks.
Join the Steam Community
Meet new people, join game groups, form clans, chat in-game and more! With over 100 million potential friends (or enemies), the fun never stops.
Create and Share Content
Gift your friends, trade items, and even create new content for games in the Steam Workshop. Help shape the future of your favorite games.
Automatic game updates
Hunting for patches and downloading from unorganized web sites is so twentieth-century. On Steam, your games stay up-to-date by themselves. No hassles.
Whether you’re on a PC, Mac, Linux box, mobile device, or even your television, you can enjoy the benefits of Steam. Take the fun with you.
Available on PC, Mac, and Linux
We offer a catalog of PC, Mac, and Linux games, many of which support Steam Play so you can buy once and play anywhere, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer so you can play with all your friends, no matter where they log in
- Fix URL bar displaying on HTTPS pages when ‘Display Steam URL’ setting is disabled. Steam URL bar will now respect the setting unless on a page with a security issue in which case it will always show to display the error.
- Fix steamwebhelper crash causes when requests are unexpectedly canceled.
- Allow creating shelves for shared libraries.
- Disable screenshot slideshow in app hovers if Low Bandwidth or Low Performance mode is enabled.
- Fix some cases where mismatched header images were cached for some games.
- Fix duplicated game activity items from sometimes appearing.
- Allow Family Sharing of tools.
- Fix new categories created in small mode or Big Picture mode not being properly saved when switching to normal mode.
- Fix recently played but disallowed by Family View games not appearing in the Recent Games shelf (or the MRU jump list) when Family View is enabled at startup.
- Fix rendering of steam award images in news updates.
Remote Play Together
- Hosting on Windows and Linux automatically starts a Steam Voice chat with invited players when available. Invited Friends can optionally join and accept the voice chat in a single click.
- Players in the session are visible to all players for adjusting Steam Voice Chat mic volumes.
- All players’ status is now updated to show that they are playing the game together in the Friends List.
- Fixed host not being able to adjust the last player's input settings in some cases.
- More players fit in the vertical scrolling area.
- When a Remote Play Together session is already running, trying to invite a different friend to a different game allows the host to easily end the existing stream.
- Game volume and fullscreen/windowed preferences are remembered across sessions for the client.
- Family Sharing can now be used in conjunction with Remote Play Together.
- Update steam runtime and container runtime (0.20191119.3): improved graphics drivers diagnostics.
- Implement a workaround for filesystems with failing 32 bit statfs64 calls (free disk space checks).
- steam runtime 0.20191210.1: gnutls update to support Proton, further improvements to steam-runtime-system-info.
Previous release notes:
- Fixed an issue where the overlay could become stuck on top of the game in Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Added "Expand all" and "Collapse all" options to context menus for collections in the games list
- Added a filter option to split family shared games in the game list into sections by owner
- Fixed non-Steam game shortcut icons not displaying when set from an .exe file
- Fixed status in playbar showing "downloading" while unpacking a preloaded game
- Brought back Small Mode library view and updated to work with Steam Collections and the new Steam Library
- Added a library setting to hide game icons in the Steam Library’s left column game list
- Fixed download progress bar and status wrapping to a second line on game pages on smaller windows
- Compressed game page links bar to one line on smaller Steam windows
- Post-game summary, game review reminder and other dynamic content on game pages will now fill only one column on wider Steam windows
- Fix playtime not updating in play bar on game exit
- Fix incorrect number of achievements sometimes being displayed in achievements section
- Fixed occasional crashes caused when uninstalling games
- Fixed Steam client crash after exiting some AutoCloud-enabled games
- Fixed a case where game icons would sometimes not properly be downloaded and used for the game's desktop shortcut when installing a game. For for previously installed games affected by the problem, validating game contents and recreating the shortcuts should fix the issue.
- Fixed several causes of steamwebhelper crashes
- Fixed possible client crash when there are more pending gifts than installed games
- Fixed an issue where the language drop down in the per-game settings page could be blank for uninstalled games
- Installation support for STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order™
- Fixed a cause of black library/store/friends windows in the client or overlay
- Fixed intermittent client crash on startup
- Fixed intermittent steamwebhelper crash
- Fixed web based views in the client rendering with artifacts if you have the latest NVIDIA drivers and have turned on Global Image Sharpening
- Removed auto-creation of Documents/Downloads directory.
- Updated vaapi decoding to libva2 compatibility
- Fixes to free disk space checks to address issues with some NFS mounts
- Fixed Steam Input F12 binding
- Fix "Help > System Information" not producing container runtime information in some cases
- Fixed game audio being silent when reconnecting to a running game
- Fixed rare crash when the stream stops
- Fix issue where adding an action set would prevent creating an action set layer until selecting a new action set
Recent Steam Client news
Apps similar to Steam Client 6
Download Origin to play anywhere, challenge friends, explore exciting new games, and stay connected to the Origin community.
Uplay is Ubisoft's PC games portal, where you can find all their games.
Blizzard Battle.net is an Internet-based online gaming, social networking, digital distribution, and digital rights management platform developed by Blizzard Entertainment.