HP / Dell / etc. laptop password help thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those trying to get rid of hard drives locked with ATA-3 passwords should look at this page: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-139439_14_0.html

Basically, search for a program atapwd.zip (http://rockbox.haxx.se/atapwd.zip)

Here is some info:
http://www.rockbox.org/lock.html

Of course, more likely than not the available solutions would render the information on the drive unreadable, unless the master password was never set on the drive from the manufacturer's default, in which case you can unlock the drive and use it in another computer to read the contents. Hot swapping the controllers of two identical drives (one unlocked) should also work.

Unless you have access to a key generator that can give you a master code for your password, of course ;)

The default values of the CMOS allowed for the new drive in the Presario 2500 I was fixing to install fine, etc, so no need for the BIOS password, thank god.

Good luck to all.

Those trying to get rid of hard drives locked with ATA-3 passwords should look at this page: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-139439_14_0.html

Basically, search for a program atapwd.zip (http://rockbox.haxx.se/atapwd.zip)
hddcrash69, all your information supplied is basically useless
The above atapwd.zip (made in 2004 ! ) has even been removed from the original site. Why quote such a thing, if it doesn't work?

Here are all your posts up to date. It seems you are not really helping with all this useless info that you post. If you don't know then don't try supporting others, especially with really old outdated software :D

I tried the codes generated by unlock6 (download link elsewhere in this board)

stacks more info here not quoted

Well, all these didn't seem to work for me
My reply back was that it's here:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/post610782-4.html
And it probably won't work!
Lol, I didn't think it would.

stacks more info here not quoted

Also wonder how hard it would be to reverse engineer the BIOS and look at the serial eeprom code etc. Bah, not worth it.
I've used good old ponypro before (good old satellite hacking times). But not worth it and probably not necessary.
No Dells anywhere around here to be seen, so I doubt I'll ever need one of those. But I'll keep my eyes open.
I have no experience myself, etc, but if you can boot stuff off a CD (or an usb drive or whatever) in that laptop, you could use an external (i.e. linux, etc) program to fully erase (i.e. unlock) the hard drive.

Again, no idea if this would work, but it would make sense to me. Google to see if others are doing this and have any success.

EDIT: Strike all that. I googled for you and it seems to be a more complex issue.

Please note: The free DST boot CD can be found here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post610782-4.html

hddcrash69 Stop posting all the above (and any more to come) useless info
We are here to help freely, but it must be => help. Not confusion :confused:

Sorry couldn't be of much help.

Still, it should be able to perhaps help someone (i.e. with old computers or locked drives).

Sorry, didn't notice the original links were out. I don't know where I found it, then, but I uploaded atapwd to rapidshare:

old link removed -> as not required (again) see below

It doesn't matter what year atapwd was made. It removes passwords from any locked ATA device for which the master password (as oppossed to the user password) is known (i.e. not changed from manufacturer's default, which happens often). At worst, you could erase the contents with ERASE PREPARE followed by ERASE UNIT and re-use the drive in another machine.

Don't be confused. This has nothing to do with getting rid of "BIOS" passwords in the computer, only of drive locks in the hard drives themselves.

It may not be the "straight answer" to the average user, but it would've certainly helped me if I had to unlock a drive. It doesn't seem to be much better alternatives.

Bye.

Hey everyone, I am new here and I am having the exact same problem. My three year old daughter accidently messed the password up so now i get a power on password. I have an HP Omnibook 6000 and my hash code is 12851.Any help would be appreciated it was the laptop all my college work was saved on.

It doesn't matter what year atapwd was made. It removes passwords from any locked ATA device
Really?
used the atapwd.exe to unlock, but no luck. Fdisk didn't work either. I tried to HOT-SWAP with the good one, too. Any suggestion for this?
Also we don't need your Rapidshare link (by the way if you do feel the need to upload some old thing :confused: , use this free Server, it's way less invasive than Rapidsh#t http://savefile.com/upload.php) Here's the direct link to that program from a 2005 link: http://dwl.xbox-scene.net/~xbox/xbox-scene/tools/harddrive/atapwd.zip
By the way, again, as per your other info, it obviously doesn't help :suspiciou

Probably best that you only post stuff that actually helps hddcrash69 ;) (tried and tested)

@asia989, Regarding eBay (or any other Google search to thousands of sales sites) TechSpot have no comment about this, as we only deal with FREE (or manufacture) support. But note many of these sites just want to sell you information, that you can already get already for free here.

I hate rapidshare too. ;)

Perhaps the guy that couldn't get his problem solved could use some pointers on the ATA lock drive issue.

If he knows the drive master (as oppossed to user) password hasn't been changed, and he can find the drive's manufacturer's default password, either atapwd as discussed above or hdparm (http://hdparm-win32.dyndns.org/hdparm/, made in 2006 ;)) would allow him to unlock the drive for re-use. If he uses those utilities correctly, even if at the expense of losing the information in the worst case scenario of the drive being in Maximun security mode.

Again, this is not something the average user may know how to do, but may help some more advance users get pointers to the solution of re-using locked ATA drives. Probably cheaper just to buy another one, though :D

I have never had to unlock one of those drives (other than the Xbox many years back ... now I remember where I got the atapwd from!!!!!), so no hints that can come from direct experience, sorry :'(

Cheers.

Regarding locked Harddrives
Note: some prior info given here:
Password types:
1) power on password (pop). this password can be reset by unplugging the cmos battery for a while, and plugging it back in.
2) supervisor/bios password (svp). this requires reading the eeprom chip (8 leg or 14 leg) with an electronic device by using another pc's serial port or by paperclip method if model type available.
3) hard drive password (hdp). this is usually tied to svp, but not all the time. it requires special software and a library of known manufacturer's password. but can be cracked either recovering the data or wiping the data.
We are discussing (presently) the easiest one, which is: "hdp" being No.3 above
Note: Generally most members here are not posting for help on this issue, as it is mostly very basic.

Seeming this has come up recently, I thought I'd better discuss it ;)

There are many tools to freely unlock a Harddrive. One of the recorded easiest options is to get another Harddrive (which is not locked) replace it with the locked drive, then go to Bios Setup and remove the password

Another even easier option is to just replace the drive. Someone even mentioned that a brand new Harddrive can cost as low as $30. Therefore, obviously no need to pay some 3rd party option.

And lastly, there are a few thousand unlock password tools freely available across the Net
All these free programs just unlock the Harddrive, not the laptop itself - of course ;)

Generally (99%) of all users here, don't have a Harddrive locked issue (that just may require formatting to remove). They have their laptop locked. Which can be helped by going H E R E and trying all methods discussed. Or by creating 1 (just one is required that's all) reply post to this thread, asking for further help.

That's it. Therefore we don't need lots of old links to Harddrive password removal help. I'd say there would be thousands of them! Any "average" user can try.

Here is a link of a guy that unlocked his drive using utilities like the one described (he actually used anotherone and sent the commands manually one by one). So he talks from experience and tells you how it can be done.

It's very good because he also collected a bunch of master passwords for many hard drives in a related post.

Removed Spam link to paid services

Good luck 2 all!!

Well I just talked about that, one post back!
As for "a bunch of master passwords" None of them will NOT work on the Dell 595B laptop (which is everyones Dell laptop here)

Note TechSpot is free help only, if users want to pay (up to them of course) Then go elsewhere.

Pretty sure the 1150 cannot be shorted, the only free method (other than Dell of course) is going here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post610782-4.html and trying the DST-CD (free again ;) )

If that doesn't work (including just contacting Dell) then search Google for some other option

@hddcrash69 I have removed another Spam link by you
And I have told you over and over about known free information, but you continue to post this
Your posts are not exactly supportive. It would be wise for you to not post anymore Spam links or useless further info, as it is generally just wasting space on this thread. Note Members posting Spam links are usually removed on the spot. So stop it.

To others that actually require real support (very few and far between here sadly) Sales and Tech support are two different things. Sales people do not know how to help others technically. As been proven on this thread time and time again.

There are many members that join here to try and sell their service, this is:
1. Against TechSpot's rules - ie Free support only
2. Is NOT needed. There are thousands and thousands and thousands of places to go to pay for your password (as an absolute last option)

Members looking for help like "paying someone" No need to post ! Search Google or eBay or just about anywhere
By the way, I'm pretty sure (if not positive) That any spammers here are wanting top dollar. So please shop around, and don't buy information that is already freely supplied

This thread is for free and manufacture support only This goes for members asking for help, and members trying to support too ;)

i tried that cd with the HD out and it still went to the grey screen, doesnt matter somehow i shorted something amd the laptop wont boot all the way lol, next stop ebay for a new mobo

With the price of laptops getting lower and lower (new or refurbished) you may be best to buy another one, and sell yours as not working. Pretty sure I'll see it get posted here again one day for support required ;)
Note: I don't provide help with any sales stuff. I only do technical support

kimsland,

My link was most absolutely definetly not for a "spam paid service". It was a private blog of someone that described, step by step how he removed the password from his locked hard drive.

I know that most people are not looking for unlocking drives, but unlocking laptops that, in many cases, have also locked the drives themselves.

Anyway, it's up to you what kind of information you want in your board. If someone wants to google, just search for "ATA master password list" and within the first five or so results you'll find the blog I was referring to (which, once again, does not say or offer anything whatsoever for sale and it's a regular blog of a guy talking about lots of stuff who happened to come across a locked drive and unlocked it himself).

About the guy with the Hard Drivelock MasterID: 15472071, could you try 7933331 or 13178 as your BIOS or master passwords?

Regards,

Thanks hddcrash69, thankfully after my thousands of posts I know what Spam is ;)
Actually obviously I could teach you if you like

Your link included paid services link which strangely is SPAM

But don't worry because I always have the best interest of members wanting support here, at heart
So I will always help when required :)

Have a nice day

Kimsland, I have a serious problem with an omnibook vt6200. I have tried looking at all the forums, and I don't see anything specific to a vt6200, which I am gathering is different from the 6100s and lower. I can not find anything on pulling a hash code, I don't know how to pull it on this laptop. It wont do it with f12 or anything. Can anybody help me with this, please? I'm sure that once I get the hash code, somebody can help me with the power on password. thanks

Truthfully I don't know enough about HP. I think this is because I formed a personal hatred towards the way in which HP Windows installations are basically covered with HP even Windows Help is replaced by HP Help. It's pretty bad

Anyway, when I spoke to them about passwords and recovery. What a waste that was
They are not like Dell, HP want the laptop back to remove the password, absolutely ridiculous! So I do hope that someone else can help you freely with your Hash code or whatever HP use. Or try Googling for a cheaper alternative (cheaper than HP that is ;) )

Edit:

Mind you for such an oldish model try the attachment here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post610782-4.html (bottom of that post)

Yeah, I know. Coinsidently, HP said they would get me the password for around 40, but I was just feeling cheap after buying this thing on (a very popular auction site we all know). It is in such good shape, and I can't see having anything that I can't use. I did see that "samyloo" is very helpful with passwords, and could also possibly know how to do the hash code too. I have only just begun with the forums, so I can't holler at just one person yet. Maybe I will stumble across something, thanks anyway.

hp omnibook vt6200 surely have hash code algorithm.
Is it really show nothing after 3 unsuccessful tries to enter password?
Kimsland, I have a serious problem with an omnibook vt6200. I have tried looking at all the forums, and I don't see anything specific to a vt6200, which I am gathering is different from the 6100s and lower. I can not find anything on pulling a hash code, I don't know how to pull it on this laptop. It wont do it with f12 or anything. Can anybody help me with this, please? I'm sure that once I get the hash code, somebody can help me with the power on password. thanks

After 3 tries it just shuts down, like you hit the power button. You can turn right around and turn it on again immediately after it goes off. But nothing will come up but the password prompt, this is after it shows the boot screen for a couple of seconds, and there is nothing on it but showing that it is a phoenix bios 4.0 ver 6.0 and memory, of coarse.

I have some comments about HDD passwords at Dell notebooks.
When user set HDD password in the BIOS setup, it changed HDD user password AND HDD Master password. So no any well known factory master passwords will work.
Also I dont know what do you mean "few thousand unlock password tools freely available"
Generic tools are useless in that case. Some HDD can be unlocked as for their firmware exists some known tricks to delete password. But in current mostly HDD cant be unlocked by free tools. Hotswap no more actual, it even may cause damage to HDD.
To save time from hopeless finding, best way is purchase new HDD, or pay money for unlock.
Regarding locked Harddrives
Note: some prior info given here:

We are discussing (presently) the easiest one, which is: "hdp" being No.3 above
Note: Generally most members here are not posting for help on this issue, as it is mostly very basic.

Seeming this has come up recently, I thought I'd better discuss it ;)

There are many tools to freely unlock a Harddrive. One of the recorded easiest options is to get another Harddrive (which is not locked) replace it with the locked drive, then go to Bios Setup and remove the password

Another even easier option is to just replace the drive. Someone even mentioned that a brand new Harddrive can cost as low as $30. Therefore, obviously no need to pay some 3rd party option.

And lastly, there are a few thousand unlock password tools freely available across the Net
All these free programs just unlock the Harddrive, not the laptop itself - of course ;)

Generally (99%) of all users here, don't have a Harddrive locked issue (that just may require formatting to remove). They have their laptop locked. Which can be helped by going H E R E and trying all methods discussed. Or by creating 1 (just one is required that's all) reply post to this thread, asking for further help.

That's it. Therefore we don't need lots of old links to Harddrive password removal help. I'd say there would be thousands of them! Any "average" user can try.

Sorry no email addresses on public forum
But I did test the attachment again ie here:
And it does seem to be working still. It must be your Zip program

Here's a few Zip programs you can try:

If it still doesn't work, then I suspect you may have a fault with your Windows or something

Good luck :

i have the standard windows XP .zip archiver

Still says files corrupted, should it be 33.0 KB ? :suspiciou
when working it should work with my laptop(HP XE3 2002) :D

Moderator Edit:
I have confirmed the attachment here can be opened with the standard Windows unzipping ability
Therefore your computer must be at fault
Here's that link again, to help you
;) https://www.techspot.com/vb/post610782-4.html
Have a nice day :) And stay out of trouble ;)

Well I'm using WinRAR from that quoted link
Try installing that. Yes it should be 33K

When user set HDD password in the BIOS setup, it changed HDD user password AND HDD Master password. So no any well known factory master passwords will work.
I know that.
I was having a useless conversation (as I had clearly stated) on HDD Password only
And I stated that no one posting here has that issue. I was trying to inform hddcrash69 that all his links wouldn't work as well !
ie We are not discussing HDD passwords in this thread (wouldn't that be nice and easy ;) ) We are discussing passwords set in Bios.

So hpgl, sorry you hadn't realized that! You can run simple code to remove a HDD password didn't you know that !?

But for the rest of everyone here, obviously the conversation I was having with hddcrash69, has zero to do with anyone else
For all users wanting this valuable information (Bios passwords - however you label it) look here: https://www.techspot.com/vb/post610782-4.html

Where's your guide hpgl ? Oh yeah you don't know enough to post one
So maybe I just could know a little more than you technically ;) (I'd say most likely)

Here's the part you missed hpgl, listen up
Generally (99%) of all users here, don't have a Harddrive locked issue (that just may require formatting to remove). They have their laptop locked. Which can be helped by going H E R E and trying all methods discussed..
Are you suggesting hpgl that a standard locked password in any Desktop or laptop HARD DRIVE can't be unlocked freely? How absurd! You may need to learn up a bit.

So back to the thread, the other 99% do require specialized help, and obviously me and about 1 other here (Obi) are the only ones providing this free help. All I see you do is help users (edit: usually 1 user every 3 months) that may or may not even be legitimate, try helping a few members that do actually require your help. I'm sure we'll wait a looong time for that hey? Prove me wrong fool, prove me wrong. Obviously you can't.

Edit: I've said it before and I'll say it again
I find enjoyment in putting spammers in their place (you know debating stupid things). I have never met any salesman that knows more than me technically (how strange hey) And I always win in the end, and they are made the fool.

I help members freely here. But I debate (and win) against spammers. Generally they are a joke; although they do help me quote useful information I have to genuine needy individuals. I will continue every day on this. And have done so for a long time already. Spammers have little to gain here, bring them on. Because this is my home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back