- A new trojan virus is targeting computers running Mac OS X and initiating an encrypted reverse-shell connection, allowing attackers potentially unfettered access to infected machines armed with basic, inbound-only firewalls. Security firm Intego appears to be the first to report…
- Microsoft Security Essentials has once again failed to make the grade for certification at AV-Test, an independent but non-required honor that most anti-virus programs enjoy. By extension, Windows 8's built-in virus protection, Windows Defender, likely suffers the same shortcomings as…
- A sophisticated, multi-layered trojan dubbed "Eurograbber" is estimated to be responsible for siphoning over €36 million -- or about $46.5 million -- from the bank accounts of unsuspecting Europeans. In a case study (pdf) performed by Versafe and Check Point Software Technologies, researchers reveal…
- VirusTotal, a popular web-based virus scanning tool, announced its very own acquisition by Google. While details regarding the deal remain mostly secretive, VirusTotal says it will continue to operate independently of Google and maintain its multi-faceted sphere of partnerships with…
- Riding along a fine line between modern day technology and creepy science fiction, Department of Energy researchers unveiled a device which generates energy by harnessing the electro-mechanical properties of genetically-engineered viruses. The nanotechnology-based power generator leverages piezoelectric principles, an old concept…
Downloads and Drivers
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.