AMD reveals Radeon 6000 "Big Navi" design

midian182

Staff member
Highly anticipated: With AMD’s Zen 3 and Radeon 6000 event just a few weeks away, the company has finally released the first official image of the latter, aka Big Navi. And as the name suggests, it’s a total beast.

Tech fans’ attention has been focused on Nvidia and its exciting line of Ampere cards since their announcement at the start of the month. Now, though, AMD is trying to spoil the party. Team Red last week confirmed that its hugely anticipated Zen 3 processors series would be unveiled on October 8 at 12 pm ET with the RDNA 2-based Radeon 6000 series reveal on October 28 at 12pm ET.

AMD Radeon tweeted our first look at the Radeon 6000 series yesterday, showing off its brand-new design. The company had previously used to Fortnite to tease the cards, and the battle royale title is once again being utilized by AMD to promote Big Navi—you can take a closer look at the Radeon 6000 on its own Fortnite Creative Island using the code 8651-9841-1639.

AMD didn’t reveal any specs, though the card on show—likely the series flagship—is of the triple-fan variety, much like the Radeon VII, so it’ll be big. It uses 2 x 8-pin PCIe power connectors; combined with the PCIe slot, that means this Radeon 6000 (Radeon RX 6900X?) can consume 375W. Exactly how much power it will require is unknown.

Thanks to tech analyst Anshel Sag, we can get a better look at the card’s ports. There’s one HDMI port (almost certainly 2.1), two DisplayPort outputs (expect 1.4), and a USB-type C, though it doesn’t appear to be Thunderbolt 3.

We’ll discover more about the Radeon 6000 series, including its price and performance compared to Ampere, on October 28.

Permalink to story.

It‘s a picture...we can tell a few things by it but not that much tbh. Glad it‘s not a blower.

As for power: yes, in theory the card could draw up to 375W, but with only one eight pin it would be 225W max, so we know that particular card‘s max total power draw should be anywhere between 225 and 375W.

As for the rest, that is still guess work at the moment.

Three fans rather than a noisy blower? That's progress.
I was really afraid that AMD would not improve the cooling to the reference boards with this generation. It would have been a huge blunder :)

Glad to know that they are making some improvements to it. Is the USB-C for VR?

If they could leak a Doom style benchmark they could really scupper Nvidias launch, presuming it's good enough...

Something tells me that their best new card just isn’t gonna touch the 3080 or 3090

Agreed. If they could top or compete with those cards I figure they would have announced details without waiting for Oct. Hope I’m wrong. Oh well, maybe Intel will be able to drive true high end competition next time around.

Agreed. If they could top or compete with those cards I figure they would have announced details without waiting for Oct. Hope I’m wrong. Oh well, maybe Intel will be able to drive true high end competition next time around.

The best they can do is hope to undercut the 3070 on price. Somehow I don't see them outperforming it.

The 3070 looks like it's going to be the new card to beat for 1080p and 1440p gaming.

Meanwhile the 3080 will be the 4K king and the 3090 pushing 8K.

More believable leaks I saw today claiming the top card will be in between the 3070 and 3080 for raw raster speed. Comprehensively faster than 3070 but clearly short of the 3080. Better than RTX2000 ray tracing performance but slower than Ampere. AMD taking DLSS seriously but no news of an AMD equivalent.

Pricing at $549, when AMD really wanted $599 but the 3080 reveal scuppered that. Nvidia ready for AMD's strategy with a 3070Ti in the background to slot in the gap when necessary.

A $549 GPU clearly faster than a $499 3070 would work IMO, but if the gap closed with ray tracing enabled then I would say the advantage would still rest with Nvidia's parts. All of these variables makes life interesting!

All will be revealed within the next month. I love major new GPU and CPU releases especially when you know there is a serious generational leap in the works. Can't wait for reviews this week, nothing like seeing the graphs of new cards that batter the old and completely alter the landscape.

Last edited:
The best they can do is hope to undercut the 3070 on price. Somehow I don't see them outperforming it.

The 3070 looks like it's going to be the new card to beat for 1080p and 1440p gaming.

The reason why you have to believe AMD can edge the 3070/2080Ti is the 52CU, 1825MHz, 320 bit bus Xbox Series X.

If they can design an APU with an entire 8 core Renoir CPU also on board, plus DSPs, get it manufactured with the GPU clocks they have and hit those yields and prices for a mere games console, then they surely can build a dedicated GPU with at least 60CUs enabled. Potentially even slightly better clocks and memory.

All that would point to something faster than a 2080Ti.

Pricing at $549, when AMD really wanted $599 but the 3080 reveal scuppered that. Nvidia ready for AMD's strategy with a 3070Ti in the background to slot in the gap when necessary.

A $549 GPU clearly faster than a $499 3070 would work IMO, but if the gap closed with ray tracing enabled then I would say the advantage would still rest with Nvidia's parts. All of these variables makes life interesting!
This is assuming that FE quality cards will be available for that price in quantity. If the cost of making the FE is really as high as rumored, chances are nVidia keeps FE volume low and the alternative is considerably more expensive AIB cards (or louder / worse performing at the same price point).

Initial reviews will still show the FE‘s price/performance but if you cannot buy them....

I would certainly like to be mistaken here as the 3070 is on my list, depending on what AMD offers at the same price point.

Something tells me that their best new card just isn’t gonna touch the 3080 or 3090
If they manage to get close to the 3080 as rumours suggest then it's fine. There is a lot of room for cards between the 3070 and 3080. It would be interesting to see a 600$ GPU (or cheaper) that is only 5-7% slower.

Three fans rather than a noisy blower? That's progress.
Blowers are no loud when used in the correct way.
(with case side on)
Look what happens to 3 fan cards in case with case side on.
(their revs and noise level goes up because it recirculating the air it needs to cool down)
maybe 15 DB difference in noise on work bench but in a case the difference is 5DB

Depends on how far AMD is willing to go. The 5700xt was a 2070 competitor, and rDNA was almost as efficient as turing. But AMD just.....never bothered to release a larger GPU. A 3072 core rDNA would have likely come close to if not beat a 2080 non super, a 4096 core could have met the 2080ti, granted at 350+ watt power draw, but still, they could have done it. We likely will never know why AMD never bothered, IMO they didnt want to put all that effort into big chips just to replace them a year later with the 6000 series. If the 5700xt came out when radeon VII did, we likely would have seen big navi.

If AMD will just make a larger core this time around,w e could see good performance. The 3080 is only ~30% faster then the 2080ti. rDNA, if they had scaled it up, could have met the 2080ti last year. So if they scale up tot hat size this year, and rDNA2 brings some IPC/clock speed improvements, we could see 3080 performance, or within stones throw of it.

One can hope.

Blowers are no loud when used in the correct way.
(with case side on)
Look what happens to 3 fan cards in case with case side on.
(their revs and noise level goes up because it recirculating the air it needs to cool down)
maybe 15 DB difference in noise on work bench but in a case the difference is 5DB
Spoken as someone who has never owned a blower, clearly.

It is far from a 5 DB difference. I can very clearly hear my Vega 64's fan in a case with a sealed side with a desk between it and myself. My old triple fan 770s, even pushed to 100% fan speed, were near silent by comparison. Open air cards do NOT "recirculate" hot air in a case with a side panel, unless your case airflow is totally borked, you should have exhaust fans pulling hot air away from the card and intake fans pushing in cold air.

Yes I have.
put them both on a test bench and test noise the blower fan is about 15 DB louder.
But put them both in a case its only 5 db louder.
See the fan speed on the 3 fan increases so closing the gap.

example

No such problem using a blower fan gpu
(I rest my case)
proven move along.
(NEXT)

Last edited:
Depends on how far AMD is willing to go. The 5700xt was a 2070 competitor, and rDNA was almost as efficient as turing. But AMD just.....never bothered to release a larger GPU. A 3072 core rDNA would have likely come close to if not beat a 2080 non super, a 4096 core could have met the 2080ti, granted at 350+ watt power draw, but still, they could have done it. We likely will never know why AMD never bothered, IMO they didnt want to put all that effort into big chips just to replace them a year later with the 6000 series. If the 5700xt came out when radeon VII did, we likely would have seen big navi.

If AMD will just make a larger core this time around,w e could see good performance. The 3080 is only ~30% faster then the 2080ti. rDNA, if they had scaled it up, could have met the 2080ti last year. So if they scale up tot hat size this year, and rDNA2 brings some IPC/clock speed improvements, we could see 3080 performance, or within stones throw of it.

One can hope.

Spoken as someone who has never owned a blower, clearly.

It is far from a 5 DB difference. I can very clearly hear my Vega 64's fan in a case with a sealed side with a desk between it and myself. My old triple fan 770s, even pushed to 100% fan speed, were near silent by comparison. Open air cards do NOT "recirculate" hot air in a case with a side panel, unless your case airflow is totally borked, you should have exhaust fans pulling hot air away from the card and intake fans pushing in cold air.

Years ago I had 2 GTX 570s in SLI with the reference design and they were loud as hell when gaming let alone a massive heat generator

Wasn't it only ASUS that messed that up?
I think he's referring to the Radeon VII cooler, which was a complete disaster.

Regarding Asus, I wouldn't waste money on their AMD cards as have been messing up for quite some time now. I remember with the R290(x) they simply just slapped the 780 cooler and shipped it. I had pretty high RMA rates on it, mainly caused by the complete lack of VRAM cooling.

For AMD my general recommendation is Sapphire. As far as I can remember their coolers have always performed well.

We have known long time. Lisa Su (AMD CEO) told that 7nm supply is tight around time when 5700XT came out. So basically "big Navi" at that time would have caused shortages on more important products like Ryzen/Epyc series. After all, Zen2 chiplet is only 75mm2 and imaginary "big Navi" would have been well over 400 mm2. So one big Navi would have consumed more 7nm capacity than 64-core Epyc when yields are considered too. Since 64-core Epyc sells for around $4600, there was really no reason to waste already tight capacity for big Navi.

Now, according to rumours, AMD grabbed much more 7nm capacity when Apple uses something better. There is no real 7nm shortage any more so big Navi is now real possibility.

We must also remember GlobalFoundries and their 7nm process cancellation. With GlobalFoundries and TSMC, AMD's combined 7nm capacity would have been much larger. Now it was TSMC only, and that extra capacity AMD needed was something TSMC had no chance to prepare.

1080p would be overkill for a 3070...it provides the same performance as a 2080ti !!!

Back