Bethesda admits the best perks of the Fallout 1st subscription don't even work

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
WTF?! Fallout 76 is probably one of the worst games to ever come out of Bethesda's studios. From concept to execution, it has been one disaster after another and sales have shown that. Now the company wants to add a subscription to make up losses, but they apparently put as much thought and testing into that as they did into FO76, but that is just my opinion.

A couple of days ago, Bethesda launched its Fallout 1st premium subscription service for Fallout 76. A lot of the response has been negative, even triggering someone to put up this webpage spoofing Bethesdas announcement (warning: profanity). Even IGN roasted it (video below).

Fallout 76’s lackluster reception was well deserved as Bethesda dropped the ball on numerous occasions involving the game’s release and design. So it is understandable that now that it has a solid, albeit, mediocre player base, it would want to monetize to increase the nearly non-existent profit margins.

Making players pay for features that probably should have been in the game in the first place, like private sessions, bigger storage containers, and survival (read: “fast travel”) tents, is one way to do that. It just has to work, especially when you are charging the player $13 per month or $100 per year.

However, as the Fallout 76 subreddit (r/fo76) points out, it just doesn’t work. Complaints have flooded in that the private servers are not private, the unlimited scrap containers make items vanish forever, and using the tent will sometimes cause the whole game to crash.

A Bethesda representative told Polygon that its developers are looking into the issues.

The problem with the private sessions is that anyone on your friend list can join the server, not just those you invite. The company says they are working on this and will issue a patch in the indefinite future.

“We understand this is not what players expected for their Private Worlds,” said the rep. “We are looking to provide an option in an upcoming patch that will allow Fallout 1st members to restrict access to their servers more completely.”

As for the scrap-gobbling boxes, Bethesda initially said that it was a display issue and that items were not actually gone. However, after looking into it further, it discovered that the scrap is disappearing, but it is only happening to a few users.

“Our initial investigation indicated that this was a display issue and that no items had gone missing,” the spokesperson said. “However, we have since found that a small number of players have, in fact, experienced a loss of scrap items after placing them into the Scrap Box and then loading into a world. Resolving this issue is currently our top priority.”

The devs are trying to come up with a “hotfix” for the problem.

The representative did not have anything specific to say about the tents crashing the game but indicated that they are aware of the problem and are “working” on it.

It seems just like the initial release of Fallout 76, the launch of Fallout 1st is a hot mess.

Permalink to story.

That's what you get if you keep pointlessly "pre-order" software which has virtually no per-item manufacturing costs, giving your money to publishers before even you could possibly know what you get for it in return. And deservedly so.

That's what you get if you keep pointlessly "pre-order" software which has virtually no per-item manufacturing costs, giving your money to publishers before even you could possibly know what you get for it in return. And deservedly so.
Certain ones have gained a positive enough of a reputation for me to be ok with preorders.
CDPR, R*, Techland and TripWire are about the only ones I have real confidence in with a preorder. Im sure there are some others maybe id Software.

Def not Bethesda though.

Last edited:
Every min a sucker is born this is no worse than win 10 fanbois who beg M$ to sell all their data but tell me how great their OS is.

So the only thing that keeps this game alive is that it's so disastrous it gets articles written about it.

What is truly amazing is how so many of these companies come up with a sensational product then manage to screw it entirely up and then refuse to fix it or go back to the winning formula. Where do they get their businessmen? How is it possible to make so many unthinking decisions and still keep a job? And how can they watch others and repeat the same mistakes? If management only would turn this over to the creative people and let them develop it they way they wanted, they would have one success after the other.
Just look at the Ford Taurus. The first two versions were developed by the engineers without management input and were an overwhelming success. By the 4th year management decided they needed to feed their ego's so they started forcing their opinions on the engineers and the car started eroding to it's present sad condition. Bowing is currently suffering the same fate with it's MaxJet, Honda & Toyota and starting to falter, an ***** in Washington making military decisions he doesn't understand and was too afraid to ever be a part of .... there just doesn't appear to be an end in sight .....

Certain ones have gained a positive enough of a reputation for me to be ok with preorders.
CDPR, R*, Techland and TripWire are about the only ones I have real confidence in with a preorder. Im sure there are some others maybe id Software.

Def not Bethesda though.

No matter who the heck is the developer, people should stop this pre-ordering nonsense. Full stop.

When this trend started anyway? Those days, games had demos to try before you buy. This so-called pre-ordering BS is the modern day abomination of gaming spirit.

How can anyone "pre-order" something that is not even released is beyond me.

What is truly amazing is how so many of these companies come up with a sensational product then manage to screw it entirely up and then refuse to fix it or go back to the winning formula. Where do they get their businessmen? How is it possible to make so many unthinking decisions and still keep a job? And how can they watch others and repeat the same mistakes? If management only would turn this over to the creative people and let them develop it they way they wanted, they would have one success after the other.
Just look at the Ford Taurus. The first two versions were developed by the engineers without management input and were an overwhelming success. By the 4th year management decided they needed to feed their ego's so they started forcing their opinions on the engineers and the car started eroding to it's present sad condition. Bowing is currently suffering the same fate with it's MaxJet, Honda & Toyota and starting to falter, an ***** in Washington making military decisions he doesn't understand and was too afraid to ever be a part of .... there just doesn't appear to be an end in sight .....

Thanks for the informative and commonsense post. Copy and pasted to my text file of positive realistic thinking I come across on the internet.

Happy Halloween! :)

So what happened to Bethesda? Did this game have Tom Howard or other Bethesda seniors directing it? I can't imagine it was, cause while all their other games were solid, this one was a complete mess! Must've been someone new running that project?

So what happened to Bethesda? Did this game have Tom Howard or other Bethesda seniors directing it? I can't imagine it was, cause while all their other games were solid, this one was a complete mess! Must've been someone new running that project?

Surely you've seen all the memes around this game right? Tod Howard's "15 time the detail" line for example. The guy went on stage before the game's launch and lied his butt off about the game.

I would also materially disagree with other Bethesda games being good. The elder scrolls blades is a micro-transactions fest, FO4 was their worst game to date, ect. They have been on a downward spiral since ES:Oblivion.

I"m just happy The Outer Worlds is out. It has already far exceed any of Bethesda's fallout games IMO.

Very well said. I call this the "PENCIL PUSHER EFFECT." Just like the 1993-2002 F-body cars. Corvette sales were hurting due from GM taking the same LT1 & LS1 motor and putting it into the Camaros & Trans am but people were buying those cars for cheaper & the power was the same. The track numbers were almost identical too!

Last edited:
Internet historian's Fallout 76 video is one of the greatest things I have ever seen on Youtube. Not exaggerating. 'The Fall of 76.'

Highly recommended.
Wow that really was very well done. I can now say that I enjoyed Fallout 76, as long as I mean that video. So glad I never bought or played the game itself.

CDPR. And the (now long gone) Blizzard North. I'll preorder anytime a game from a company which priorities fun over green.
Never again will I trust Activision. Nor pay for COD. They already lied last year over the microtransactions. I won't pay for any assassin's creed unless the provide a Humble Bundle for 10 - 12 Euro. Far Cry? Sure. When it won't have microtransactions. Command and Conquer remake? Sure. If it won't ask for dlc, micro transactions and so on. Maybe when preorder unless they mention "skins", "points", "exclusive".
Jedi Fallen Order? Yup. Sure. After six months or so. Let's say three months. Why? Because I am wiser now: fool me once, shame on me.. Fool me twice: ahem, cosmetic-mtx-payto-win-or-SJW-infected games won't get a nickel from this white hetero male!

Back