China says it will cut iPhone sales if Trump follows through on his trade war promise

midian182

Staff member

One of Donald Trump’s campaign promises was to impose a 45 percent tariff on imports from China if he became president. Today, the country’s state-run Global Times warned such a move would result in repercussions that will affect the sale of iPhones and US cars in China.

The Times says (via The Guardian) that the president-elect would be “naïve” to follow through on his election promises of introducing the tariff and officially declaring China a currency manipulator. "China will take a tit-for-tat approach then," the newspaper said in an editorial. "A batch of Boeing orders will be replaced by Airbus. US auto and iPhone sales in China will suffer a setback, and US soybean and maize imports will be halted. China can also limit the number of Chinese students studying in the US."

The paper goes on to say that maintaining the current trade agreement between the countries is “a win-win situation,” and if Trump does decide to change things, then “the new president will be condemned for his recklessness, ignorance and incompetence and bear all the consequences."

Trump spoke to Chinese president, Xi Jinping, just before the editorial was published. It was the first time that the two men had communicated with each other. In a statement, Trump’s staff said: “During the call, the leaders established a clear sense of mutual respect for one another, and President-elect Trump stated that he believes the two leaders will have one of the strongest relationships for both countries moving forward.”

As president, Trump could impose tariffs on specific goods, but no more than 15 percent and only for 150 days on all imported good – unless a state of emergency is declared. Like many of his pre-election statements, whether he follows through with the promise remains to be seen.

Last week, Tim Cook become the latest silicon valley leader to address Trump’s presidency. The Apple CEO sent out an internal memo calling for unity among his employees. Trump spoke out against Apple’s decision not to help the FBI unlock the San Bernardino iPhone earlier this year, and said he would force the company to make all of its devices in the US if he became president.

Permalink to story.

"Like many of his pre-election statements, whether he follows through with the promise remains to be seen."

Mexico wants to renegotiate NAFTA.
Canada wants to renegotiate NAFTA.
Illegals, according to some reports, are starting to self-deport.
Sanctuary cities have been put on notice.
Russia has changed its stance (de-escalation).
Killed TPP.

...and that's in less than one week after winning the election.

China is talking smack.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Like many of his pre-election statements, whether he follows through with the promise remains to be seen."
Killed TPP.
China is talking smack.

Amazing what even the thought of someone with a little "backbone" in the White House can do.

Killed TPP.

China is talking smack.

While I agree that China is talking smack - they can't afford to go without our Soy and corn imports - what are your sources for the rest of this?

I've only read a couple articles on Trump promising to cut federal funding to sanctuary cities - but zero detail on which funding, or by what legal mechanism because all things 'funding' fall under the domain of the legislative branch. This is part of the reason why the president can only impose tariffs that are limited in scale and duration.

China puts stiff tariffs on EVERY foreign import so they have already shot their wad. Their a paper tiger that needs America far more than America needs them. The world is already finding ways around the rare earths problem and will soon find workarounds for the cheap labor as well. The Japanese would gladly build legions of robots to cobble together our techno-toys, or heaven forbid, Americans living in the poorest regions where $8 an hr is considered a reasonable wage. Worst-case scenario? Apple, the only US company that actually makes money from hardware, will make a bit less and will finally be able to brag about NOT employing slave labor.

I GUESS we'll have to start making products domestically and put Americans back to work HUH?

Make America Great Again.

I can't believe that you actually think this will happen. This mindset comes from vanity, and the idea that we don't need help from foreign countries. You know the whole reason Egypt and early civilizations traveled right? IT WAS FOR TRADE.

The whole reason manufacturing is done overseas is because its cheaper, EVEN with tariffs its a crap load cheaper to manufacture there. There is also the reliance on rare earth minerals that only exist in the east, this makes importing tech manufacturing jobs extremely costly in the US.

The problem is everyone is spouting American sentiment and thinking that we don't need anyone's help, well that's where you're wrong. It's this mindset of alienation and big huffy puffy talk that makes us look small and weak, and just spouting rhetoric about "They took err jerbs!" to quote southpark is not going to bring back the jobs you think it is.

Stop being like Trump, Start loving other humans, we are all on this planet TOGETHER.

I GUESS we'll have to start making products domestically and put Americans back to work HUH?

I can't believe that you actually think this will happen. This mindset comes from vanity, and the idea that we don't need help from foreign countries. You know the whole reason Egypt and early civilizations traveled right? IT WAS FOR TRADE.

The whole reason manufacturing is done overseas is because its cheaper, EVEN with tariffs its a crap load cheaper to manufacture there. There is also the reliance on rare earth minerals that only exist in the east, this makes importing tech manufacturing jobs extremely costly in the US.

The problem is everyone is spouting American sentiment and thinking that we don't need anyone's help, well that's where you're wrong. It's this mindset of alienation and big huffy puffy talk that makes us look small and weak, and just spouting rhetoric about "They took err jerbs!" to quote southpark is not going to bring back the jobs you think it is.

Stop being like Trump, Start loving other humans, we are all on this planet TOGETHER.
Agreed!

It will likely take a few years until the "blame everything on everyone else crowd" sees exactly what has been elected to be POTUS. My bet - things go downhill from here...

Reality is different from catchy slogans - especially when America has been great all along...

Agreed!

It will likely take a few years until the "blame everything on everyone else crowd" sees exactly what has been elected to be POTUS. My bet - things go downhill from here...

Reality is different from catchy slogans - especially when America has been great all along...
ha ha ha...stop my sides hurt. When is your protest bus leaving?

Finally an adult comment.

Killed TPP.

China is talking smack.

Indeed!

"A batch of Boeing orders will be replaced by Airbus. US auto and iPhone sales in China will suffer a setback, and US soybean and maize imports will be halted. China can also limit the number of Chinese students studying in the US."
Not sure that Boeing parts being made in china is a good thing...

of course you know if you were Chinese and said that you would end up in prison and possibly have your organs sold for profit. Do you like living in a totalitarian state and how North Korea lives? Are you for censorship, no environmental protection (one reason it's so cheap over there) etc. No freedom of speech?

Loving other humans?

Have you any idea how angry I am that I'm stuck on this planet with you?

If I had a stargate or space ship I'd leave and never look back.

Let the rest of you stay here and eat each other.

It appears I have been moderated. We'll try this again with what I am guessing is the offending content rewritten.

Derp. The whole appeal of Trumptrade is that he will rebalance our trade deals with an America-first stance, not "end all trade."

Agreed!

You know, every time I read a comment like this, the decision to make Hillary Clinton the DNC nominee begins to make a little more sense.

While I agree that China is talking smack - they can't afford to go without our Soy and corn imports - what are your sources for the rest of this?

If you copy/paste any of the listed developments into Google you will find several reports for each.

Historically, America is the one benefited from free trade the most...
America used to punish or even wage war on other countries in the name of free trade...
And just because others adopted the idea and doing well, America say it's not fair and calling it quits.

Back