Confirmed: Microsoft is replacing Edge with a Chromium-powered browser

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Microsoft’s Edge browser has been around for three years now, and while it's seen plenty of improvements during that time, it holds only a tiny percentage of the market. As such, the Redmond firm is building a Chromium-based replacement, one that consolidates the browser market and continues Microsoft's shift towards becoming a more open company. They say they intend to become a significant contributor to the Chromium project to improve browsers across all platforms.

Microsoft confirmed today it's preparing to move its default Windows 10 browser’s rendering engine from EdgeHTML to the open source Chromium base used by the likes of Google Chrome, Opera and Vivaldi. The new browser codenamed 'Anaheim,' will stick with the Edge name. Joe Belfiore, Corporate Vice President of Windows, made the announcement adding that Edge is will now be "delivered and updated for all supported versions of Windows and on a more frequent cadence." That means ongoing support for Windows 7, and 8.1, as well as Windows 10, plus future support for macOS.

This is not only a smart strategic move, but in terms of usability, it could make Windows' default browser an instant favorite since it would essentially be using the exact same Chrome browser engine, inhering all of what makes Chrome good (and bad) minus some Google additions, plus some subtle Microsoft touches (we hope). Microsoft will also add a layer of compatibility for legacy IE-only sites, which remains of importance in certain corporate environments.

With less browser engines, and thus less fragmentation, you can expect improved compatibility across all websites, less headaches for web developers and ultimately, a de facto two engine default: Chromium browsers (Blink, V8) for desktop computing and mobile web, and Safari (WebKit, Nitro) for Apple tablets and iPhones.

It’s thought that Edge’s continuing web compatibility and performance issues prompted the move. With Edge’s market share at just 4.2 percent and Chrome’s nearer 66 percent, it’s not surprising that Microsoft wants a product that's closer to Google’s popular browser.

There were already indications that this was coming. Last month brought news that Google and Microsoft are working together to build an ARM-compatible version of Chrome for Windows 10.

Whether the new Edge browser will drag people away from Chrome, Firefox, etc. remains to be seen. But most agree that the company needed to do something to improve Windows 10’s default browser.

Permalink to story.

I don't even know why they bother at this point. Just prompt people at first run of Windows which browser they want to install and be done with it.

They all basically work the same now, it's just a matter of personal preference... What can they possibly do to make me change the browser I am using for years?

That should be good for anyone locked into the Microsoft's store, be it Windows S or Xbox.

What would be even better is that Microsoft's sites will be updated to work with Chromium.

Give us back the choosing choice of using browsers. we liked that and stop bugging us with messages like install chrome for pleasing us in the….. WTF has happened to nice windows browsing. you get spammed by youre own browser. get this/that get that. some has to block those buggers NOW. from 1st nescape to ie 11 edge ff chrome are annoying. we dont want SPAM from other then trusted wind 10 browsers that are SAFE.
ok so you must now browse with spamming google reminder that and that annoying ting on home page google. Annoying browsing should it be named into the future.
annoyed browser comes youre lan STEP/stairs.
get over it we dont want to be told what browser and so on CR/S a p brrowsers. why not autoenable ads blocker and ghostery on all browsers. and put inside pop up blocking and auto antivirus.
EASY or not we dont want crps browsers. we choose what to do or we change OS forever. make a win 10 pack like a sp1 sp2 and tell us how to use it not how to install and annoy US. TO Microsoft PLEASE dont let annoying chrome get to win 10. they are crp s.

and if it gets infeted it takes a whole our to scan big disk and ccleaner are being miss us ss ed.
get nice with spyhunter 5 rtm as windows defender cant find a crp of evidence. in that pack put updatet eracer programs and a bootable avg free cd maker or usb tool.
this has been done long now with unbutu. tools for saving finding back partions. we love win 10 but its crppy to have to answer chromes annoying reminder every time you want to quick seartch something.
1 you must go trough reminder and then you have forgotten wtf I should seartch for.
so build a win 10 unbutu save the day and use a bd-r iso for that. bd-rw re. or sony 1.5 tb-3.3 tb disk. (still at a high price)and no markedting to private buyers in norway.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1301987-REG/sony_odc3300r_optical_disc_archive_3_3tb.html and a burner that burns 1gb sec or wso (what so ever)

that would help alot.
just wipe live unbutu win 10 and begin all ower again. just download big version of unbutu win 10 bootdisk.
DREAMING of using big disk that not can get /v/wirus infection on ssd hdd hybrid. just restor all from big bd-r and keep gaming programming.
with ranzomware and a bad chrome ff with easy get infected LOL you may not get chrome on win 10 so easly windows Microsoft all over again.
put youre arses in strain and ask US what we want not wat you want.
costumers chnage from win 10 to unbutu wery fast if yoeah change to something bad.
for those who want to use chrome and get infected and delete thh whole chrome catche and scan for malware inside catche good luck. RED by ME x98 keyb T.R.O.L.L.S. on this site warrning! just lieke S.O.A.D is a music group.

Last edited:
LOL, so now we know why Microsoft was inexplicably opening up WindARM to Google. Well, sorry, MSFT..the ol' 4X strategy ain't going work this time. You had the world in your hand and you squandered it - nobody needs you now for anything but gaming, and that's inevitably going to change as well.

You had the world in your hand and you squandered it - nobody needs you now for anything but gaming, and that's inevitably going to change as well.
This is so old that it lost its funniness.
They all basically work the same now, it's just a matter of personal preference... What can they possibly do to make me change the browser I am using for years?
Well for one it really was faster than Chrome while not eating all of your ram (Not that I used it though), but we'll see where it takes from now, on my end I'm interested in knowing what the final product will look like.

I'm getting old just turned 35 but what I have learned in the tech industry is that MICROSOFT sucked at making internet browsers and INTEL sucks at making GPU's.

I think edge has become quite good in the last iterations and being actually faster and more efficient than Chrome. Chrome has become a big, bulky piece of software, which takes a TON of resources.

Is it me but has MS just got to lazy with coming up with any sort of browser as they already got the designed and created Windows GUI but they can't even create their own browser to compete with Chrome Browser.

I loved edge because it would allow to broadcast anything to my TV, but after some windows update the feature was gone, I'm still using edge since I don't really care as long as everything is working.

However google with their chrome bugs me a lot with how they are shoving it on every site they own, I'm tired on clicking "not interested" every time I open gmail/youtube from other browser then chrome.

Please fix your keyboard so you can type out a sentence I can understand. Please fix those spelling errors its killing me.
Oh stop your complaining. Evey site needs it' "mad prophet of the airways", and he's got my vote for the job.

That member could be schizophrenic or enveloped in a hyper-manic episode. If he's not, our public education system has not only failed, it's tattered and in ruins.

Besides, the joke's on you and I for wasting our time trying to make sense of that drivel..

All you have to do is substitute :internet for television, and this scene becomes as meaningful, if not more meaningful today, as it was over 40 years ago when it was released:

Last edited:
I have used egde for a year. No, I am not crazy and I don't like pain. In some instances it was smooth and comparable to chrome. But the problem began where websites weren't built by professionals or heavily clogged with flash toilet content.

My unbiased conclusion: Chrome>Edge.

but it being open source means that the code can be checked for anything malicious.
That no longer holds true once the code has been built upon. That is unless the project keeps their project open source during development. Sure the original code remains open source, but future projects can close that door on their own additional code.

On a side note, the code doesn't have to be open source to check for PUP coding. Applications can be de-compiled for examination regardless. But since it is Uncle Sam we are talking about. I doubt any coding/harvesting that benefits them would be labeled PUP.

Back