Crytek publishes Crysis Remastered tech trailer preview

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Crytek on Friday published a Crysis Remastered tech trailer preview on YouTube that teases some of the visual improvements featured in the new game. I’m particularly fond of the ray traced water reflections and the 8K textures.

The teaser, a prelude of what is to come, runs less than a minute in length but still manages to impress. In it, you’ll see a handful of scenes from the original game in side-by-side comparisons to how they look in the remaster.

It’s not our first look at the game, mind you, as that came courtesy of a leaked trailer earlier this summer. Community feedback on the footage prompted Crytek to postpone the game’s launch, originally scheduled for July 23, by roughly eight weeks for most platforms in order to put more polish on it.

Read this: Can It Run Crysis? An Analysis of Why a 13-Year-Old Game Is Still Talked About

Crysis Remastered is now scheduled to launch on September 18, 2020, for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and the PC.

It dropped on the Nintendo Switch on July 23 as initially planned and is currently priced at $29.99 directly from Nintendo.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Where Crysis truly went wrong was in shifting the gameplay from "fighting North Koreans" to fighting boring aliens".

I'd say that Far Cry 3 and 4 keep a more consistent tone, but these game designers always feel it necessary to fall back to the Halo model of switching the enemy dynamic mid-game.

I am anxious to see how Crysis will run on my machine given the tremendous leaps in technology since 2007, but graphics aren't everything. I want realistic body damage/gore to make the firefights more realistic and a more powerful nanosuit. Crysis 2 actually did a better job of making the nanosuit feel powerful.

Crysis was the best looking game back in the day. Remaster won't have that edge cause modern games already look stunning.

Looks like the original game with better graphics, the gameplay then won't hold up to gameplay now, it just looks better and will be just another game that serves as a benchmark that no one actually cares to play...

I want realistic body damage/gore to make the firefights more realistic and a more powerful nanosuit. Crysis 2 actually did a better job of making the nanosuit feel powerful.
That I wouldn't count on, so far it just looks like they've modernized the visuals, this doesn't mean they didn't re-work the core mechanics and physics of the game, I just highly doubt it.

Looks like the original game with better graphics, the gameplay then won't hold up to gameplay now, it just looks better and will be just another game that serves as a benchmark that no one actually cares to play...

OR - people may rediscover a game that plays better than anything since, and remains unsurpassed in almost every single aspect of its production. Yeah, you can find slightly better graphics now (after 12+ years!) but that hardly makes a game. I know of no better full-fledged FPS than the Crysis quad. They have been 10x the value to me of any others.

How is it going to be an Epic exclusive? I thought the IP was owned by EA?
Unlike the engine licence to Ubisoft, which is indefinite, EA didn’t permanently own the Crysis IP. Can’t remember the exact date of the transfer but it’s under Crytek’s ownership now.

It’s a little surprising that Epic hasn’t jumped onto that nostalgia bandwagon. That and the original Unreal game are ripe for a good remake.
They were making an Unreal Tournament "reboot" type thing which you can still download and play from the EGS but they took all the developers off it once Fortnite got big so it's basically just been left in Alpha.

It's a shame as it actually felt like an Unreal Tournament game. Last updates were in June 2017:
https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/en-US/blog

Bah.... best FPS ever is Unreal Tournament.... let’s get a remaster of that ?
Yes, I will allow that UT had even slicker combat than did Crysis, which is saying a lot. In fact UT is exactly why I said "full-fledged FPS" - trying to distinguish in possibly too few words between a shooter designed for multiplayer arena and a campaign game designed for SP.

As much as I loved the action in UT, the long-term replay value for me is in the Crysis games. Maybe for the varied and much larger level design, and enemy AI among other factors - things that contribute to addictive cat & mouse. It's simply a different genre than UT, though both are FPS.

Last edited:
They were making an Unreal Tournament "reboot" type thing which you can still download and play from the EGS but they took all the developers off it once Fortnite got big so it's basically just been left in Alpha.

It's a shame as it actually felt like an Unreal Tournament game. Last updates were in June 2017:
https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/en-US/blog
Thanks for the info and the link. I had lost track and am very glad to have a UT update.

I wonder if the remastered edition of Crysis is designed for PC technology coming in 2030.

Nostalgia is a powerful emotion and developers are grabing nostalgia to make a quick buck on memories. Crysis type games or so-called remasterings is a perfect example. It’s smart money for developers. The price and time to develop new games continues to climb so developers now quickly upgrade old game titles, as it only only takes an estimated 5% of the cost pitted against a full new game title development .Remastering of sorts also has the smell of fast money microtransactions. Essentially remastering is limited to HD graphic improvements like reflections and shadows but will not add any real game core experience or significant changes in plot and gameplay. Sony’s financial report, April 2020 through June 2020, reveals that a whopping 41% of its revenue was generated by DLC and microtransactions. An eye-watering USD$2.29 billion. In my opion instead of investing the money, time and manpower on a remaster strategy, developers like Crytek should focus on finishing or fixing issues with their current popular games and do away with beta type game introductions, early access game play or early releases. There are games for sale on Steam for example that are still in the "Beta Stage" for over 16-months. Then Franfurt, Germany based Crytec hastily threw together the Crysis remaster and quickly finding out that it wasn't up to the quality of the original. The trailer alone told the story and postponing its release. Money Grab? How generous will Crytek be with its PC remaster? Consider remasters like "The Last of Us and Tomb Raider" they charged a full $60 for just graphical updates as part of a package deal.

Like Columbo said: "Follow the money." Now Microsoft just confirmed to acquire ZeniMax Media. $7.5 billion for the parent of Bethesda Softworks and behind titles such as Doom, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Wolfenstein. Big things are really happening in the Tech-World and with the big boys actually trying to play it low-key. Then NVIDIA splashing out $40 billion for ARM in the recent weeks. I wonder what this all will mean for the gaming and or PC community? And us the faithful buyers that allowed for those $$$ billions to take place. I am holding my breath now to see if Steam is trying to buy Epic? Or the other way around? Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Back