Here's what Half-Life 2 looks like in Unreal Engine 4

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Valve shelved the Half-Life franchise more than a decade ago but diehard fans of the series have had a harder time moving on. Fittingly, we’ve seen a ton of fan mods and remakes over the years like this one from YouTube user / modder Vergil.

As you’ll see in the teaser clip above, Vergil imported Valve’s vanilla meshes and textures into Unreal Engine 4 and the results are quite stunning. The modder concedes that there was a lot of clean-up that had to be done in addition to lighting, shading and blueprinting work but it looks to be well worth the time.

Vergil hasn’t yet added any characters to the remake. If you’re interested in lending a hand with this, you can reach out via Discord.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

You gotta wonder why Valve *wouldn't* make HL3. Sure, it would be a huge investment of resources, but they HAVE those resources. If their developers are really that allergic to the number three then they could farm out their new games. There are any number of capable studios who would be honored to take up the torch.

You gotta wonder why Valve *wouldn't* make HL3. Sure, it would be a huge investment of resources, but they HAVE those resources. If their developers are really that allergic to the number three then they could farm out their new games. There are any number of capable studios who would be honored to take up the torch.
Because no matter what you release it would piss of at least 50% of the half life fan base. Everyone has had 10 years to say how they would want the series continued or features they would want and so on. The pressure to release the absolute most perfect game that also added new features or changed trends from the current gaming scene would be immense, and insanely difficult to deliver. I don't see valve releasing anything that isn't multi-player micro transaction based for the rest of it's existence.

Because no matter what you release it would piss of at least 50% of the half life fan base. Everyone has had 10 years to say how they would want the series continued or features they would want and so on. The pressure to release the absolute most perfect game that also added new features or changed trends from the current gaming scene would be immense, and insanely difficult to deliver. I don't see valve releasing anything that isn't multi-player micro transaction based for the rest of it's existence.

I completely agree and although this may be unpopular opinion, I honestly hope they never release HL3.

With HL2 being one of the best games ever and with sooooo many years of hype, it just can't be good...

Pretty darn slick! But I disagree, they need to finish the series with HL-3 so we can bring it to a clean end ......

As apposed to "pissing off" 100% of the fan base by never releasing another game? As apposed to pissing off 100% of the fan base for promising an "episode base release" strategy, instead of the "wait forever to get the sequel" plan? Everyone says Valve won't release half life 3 because it would piss of their fan base.... guys... STEAM was the most controversial thing valve had ever done back in the day, and it was so NEGATIVELY received.. NOW look at it. Valve has done all kinds of stuff that pisses off its fan base, but if it makes money, it doesn't matter. Look at EA. Everyone hates them, but EVERYONE continues to buy their product.

I'm still of the opinion that they SHOULD release another half life game. It would make a killing, good game or not, and with the very nature of it being so polar, I'd be willing to bet money that while it would "piss off 50% of its fan base" it would completely and totally appease the other 50%.

"It would piss off their fan base" is a retarded argument. They didn't do it, because they chose not to, and then the team left. Period. Gabe now won't do it, because he's painted himself into a corner.

As apposed to "pissing off" 100% of the fan base by never releasing another game? As apposed to pissing off 100% of the fan base for promising an "episode base release" strategy, instead of the "wait forever to get the sequel" plan? Everyone says Valve won't release half life 3 because it would piss of their fan base.... guys... STEAM was the most controversial thing valve had ever done back in the day, and it was so NEGATIVELY received.. NOW look at it. Valve has done all kinds of stuff that pisses off its fan base, but if it makes money, it doesn't matter. Look at EA. Everyone hates them, but EVERYONE continues to buy their product.

I'm still of the opinion that they SHOULD release another half life game. It would make a killing, good game or not, and with the very nature of it being so polar, I'd be willing to bet money that while it would "piss off 50% of its fan base" it would completely and totally appease the other 50%.

"It would piss off their fan base" is a retarded argument. They didn't do it, because they chose not to, and then the team left. Period. Gabe now won't do it, because he's painted himself into a corner.
Out of my 20 PC friends that have played and really enjoyed Half life and HL2 only 3 of them still want a Half Life 3, so no it won't be 100%. But I am of the opinion that the level of butt hurt will be much calmer if there is never a half life 3 compared to a half life 3 coming out that a lot of people don't like. If you never get HL3 at least 1 and 2 still existed and they were good/great.

The fear is something like Duke Nukem Forever coming out for HL3. That would just be terrible.

Still, they had a 6 year wait between the 1st and 2nd game. The first game's cliff hanger was just as impressive as the second (well, close -- HL2's cliffhanger is one of the greatest of all time).

I'll always hold out hope. HL3 doesn't have to be perfect. Just to the same standard as the rest of Valve's collection. Idk, it's entirely possible they've just choked when it comes to new single-player FPSs.

Valve isn't a public company, they're sitting on probably billions in the bank. If they felt they were losing customers to another platform they might consider making another HL but if you're running a business you think about one thing and that's making money and paying your workers. Making HL3 would be merely for publicity reasons if they ever did decide.

When I finished HL2: EP2 I choked up a little, I was happy to wait patiently for Episode 3, the day they said there wasn't going to be an episode 3, the day I lost hope of Valve making any games again.

The fear is something like Duke Nukem Forever coming out for HL3. That would just be terrible.

Still, they had a 6 year wait between the 1st and 2nd game. The first game's cliff hanger was just as impressive as the second (well, close -- HL2's cliffhanger is one of the greatest of all time).

I'll always hold out hope. HL3 doesn't have to be perfect. Just to the same standard as the rest of Valve's collection. Idk, it's entirely possible they've just choked when it comes to new single-player FPSs.

There is a difference between "We worked in this for 15 years" (DNF) and "We waited 14 years to start working in this (HL3)". Yes, the wait is the same, but at least in one case we don't asume that game is worth more than 10 years of development effort.

Its too late, I really dont care anymore about HL3. I wanted to play it back in 2007/2008/2009, I`m done waiting a long time ago.

And Half-Life 2 isnt even that good.

Back