How do I turn off raid mode on a Dell Precision T5400

cableman

The computer has 2 750gb hard drives in it but I noticed it was awful slow for a dual quad core computer with win 7 64 bit and 16gb of ram so I checked in the bios and I don't really see a way to turn it completely off unless the hard drives are reformatted in some way. If someone is familiar with this problem please help. I have disconnected one drive and re-installed windows on the other for now.

You can't just take drives that have a RAID array on them and expect them to work when you turn RAID off. You'll need to re-format.

Anyway, the Dell BIOS has an option for HDD mode, it's in there.

Actually it does not have a way to turn off raid in the bios. You can choose between raid always on or it will check the drive format for raid and if not found then it will boot normally and I am still working on that theory. Put a working Dell Precision in front of you and go into the bios and tell me there is an option to turn off the raid function because it is not there and I am very unhappy with Dell that they would leave such a loose end on one of their computers and as far as I know it goes down the whole line of the Precision models. What makes it worse is when you think you are making progress and the raid function takes over and wipes the drives again of all that you have gained. All I wanted was a regular computer but I get a version of the governments idea of a paranoid back up model that instead of turning off it wipes the data if not dealt with just right.

Back