Nvidia and AMD graphics cards prices are getting worse, now 83% over MSRP

zakislam

In a nutshell: With no end in sight for the chip shortage in the near future, prices continue to soar for graphics cards. The situation has gotten so dire that prices for some GPUs now cost 83 percent over MSRP.

According to updated data collected by 3DCenter, prices for Nvidia graphics cards are now 72 percent more expensive than MSRP. AMD GPUs are even pricier; they're 83 percent above the manufacturer's suggested retail price. That's a notable increase from the 74 percent figure in September, while Nvidia cards were at 70 percent.

SKUs for AMD GPUs affected were part of its Radeon RX 6000 series; in particular, the 6700 XT, 6800, 6800 XT, and 6900 XT. Nvidia SKUs included several from its GeForce RTX 30 series: the 3060, 3060Ti, 3070, 3080, and 3090.

Availability levels for the two firm's GPUs were somewhat improved in October thus far, putting an end to a three-month period where stock levels continued to weaken. Information pertaining to the pricing hikes was obtained from German retailers. However, it's a similar state of affairs elsewhere as well.

Prices in the crypto space have recently experienced a surge, with both Bitcoin and Ethereum approaching previous price peaks. This has consequently led to miners scrambling to secure graphics cards to capitalize on the price rises for cryptocurrency. There's even new software that evades Nvidia's LHR limiter by allowing users to mine two coins simultaneously. AMD, meanwhile, denies claims that it's prioritizing selling cards to crypto miners over gamers.

Related reading: GPU Availability and Pricing Update September 2021

Due to the ongoing semiconductor shortage, other factors could contribute to prices in the industry continuing an upward trend. Copper foil, for one, continues to be in short supply, inevitably leading to higher costs for suppliers -- it's not unrealistic to expect motherboard and GPU prices to be affected as a result. Demand in general for CPUs and GPUs has skyrocketed, causing chipmakers to raise prices.

Among the countless patiently awaiting their graphics card orders to arrive was an individual in Poland, who took the matter into his own hands and sent a cake to the retailer he ordered from. It worked: the order was expedited, albeit a year later, and he finally received his RTX 3080.

Permalink to story.

I'm trying to think if there's any companies with a direct stake on the PC Gaming market to see if any of those companies will eventually start asking tough questions to Nvidia (And AMD, right now they're no better) about just how many consecutive months of sales they plan on losing.

Simple fact is this: most of the market can deal with an extended period of no new GPU sales for PC Gaming related rigs. But we're basically at 12 months and we could end up with another 12 or even another 24 months of continued mining demand. I know people will say how unlikely that is and how a crash is imminent any day now and how Ethereum will kill the GPU viability any day now but they've have been saying that for over a year and it's not happening and will not happen if they keep making a lot of money from it, and they will.

So you could name Valve. They have a financial interest in making sure people don't literally run out of GPUs to play games with. However their move right now seems to be their own hardware: I am guessing that while they would feel a big hit if there's just no more GPUs that can play AAA games out in the wild they'd be able to maintain healthy enough sales with their own device that should be able to play all of them (At least at 720p 30fps which is lousy, but functional)

You could name Epic but even though they pushed hard on their store for a while, they're basically immune to an AAA PC gaming crash since Fortnite will keep them afloat, they seem to be ok even with Tencent being in a lot of trouble right now so don't count on them putting any pressure on Nvidia or AMD to get consumers GPUs.

Seems to me like the descentralized nature of the PC market we all love will also be it's downfall: not because it couldn't work (It has, for a while) but simply because more direct interests like miners can take over all sales from Nvidia and AMD and there's no one big company to threaten Nvidia and AMD into submission. At the very least I expect the visual quality of AAA games to slow down quite a bit for a while otherwise there's going to be a lot of trouble when Nvidia decides they want something like Ray Tracing 2.0 and DLSS 3.0 and there's literally nobody out there with cards to use those gaming features since they're all mining.

Say what you want, nothing to do with mining, keep telling yourself it has to do with mining... believe the BS stories.... its all about money, sucking the ones dry who enjoy gaming which is about 30million people according to steam and other gaming stores, with 1/10th for mining
Show me who has 30million graphics cards mining, ill show you another bait click story of BS

The manufacturers want more money, and they don't want to ask investors, so they force gamers and miners to invest against their will... honestly, if you pay stupid prices you are a cancer in the gaming world, stop buying and force them to drop prices

Is it possible retailers have set their prices higher to then do a sale ready for the holiday period such as Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. Although let's be real no graphics cards will be available at MRSP.

Retailer will continue to price these cards so long as people are willign to buy them. It took a friggin year of bloat before gaming PC sales finally slowed down. Lotta whales out there willing to fund GPU companies with rediculous prices.
Ethereum is due to switch to PoS by early 2022, should take some of the pressure off.
Oh now it's 2022. In 2022 it will be 2023.

Etherium will never go proof of stake. Ever.

I'm trying to think if there's any companies with a direct stake on the PC Gaming market to see if any of those companies will eventually start asking tough questions to Nvidia (And AMD, right now they're no better) about just how many consecutive months of sales they plan on losing.

At the very least I expect the visual quality of AAA games to slow down quite a bit for a while otherwise there's going to be a lot of trouble when Nvidia decides they want something like Ray Tracing 2.0 and DLSS 3.0 and there's literally nobody out there with cards to use those gaming features since they're all mining.

These 2 thoughts have been crossing my mind for a while.

Like I have said a few times before, forcing developers to slow down visual quality could end up being a positive move for gaming in the long run. It might force developers to improve optimization techniques, and programming / art tricks to achieve better visual quality with less hardware demand, arts that were common in the past but appear to have been forgotten. It might also press developers to become more creative with game design. I'm not actually wishing for all this to be necessary, just trying to point a positive in case this mess doesn't get sorted out.

Seems to me like the descentralized nature of the PC market we all love will also be it's downfall: not because it couldn't work (It has, for a while) but simply because more direct interests like miners can take over all sales from Nvidia and AMD and there's no one big company to threaten Nvidia and AMD into submission.

Perhaps, but there are lots of things that the whole ecosystem - Nvidia, AMD, graphics cards manufacturers, and retailers - could be doing to mitigate the issue and make sure most cards don't end up in the hands of miners and scalpers. But very few are doing anything about it. I agree that it's about time other players in the industry (Valve, Epic, game publishers and studios, gaming peripheral manufacturers) started speaking out before this splashes on their margins as well.

Like I have said a few times before, forcing developers to slow down visual quality could end up being a positive move for gaming in the long run. It might force developers to improve optimization techniques, and programming / art tricks to achieve better visual quality with less hardware demand, arts that were common in the past but appear to have been forgotten. It might also press developers to become more creative with game design. I'm not actually wishing for all this to be necessary, just trying to point a positive in case this mess doesn't get sorted out.
100% on this by the way: It's more than a silver lining to me it's an actually good practice to just look at gaming in terms other than performance, resolution and quality settings: I've been playing games for well over 3 decades now and for almost all of it the quality was never anything people could consider realistic looking until the last 5 or so years and there's a lot that's being lost in the GPU arms race.

It's unexpected that external factors might slow things down but not entirely negative and maybe not something people need to necessarily wait for: you can already play a ton of great games on just an APU.

It might be a Tin Foil hat comment but maybe they are actually not telling us the truth about these so called chip shortages just so they can have an excuse to raise the prices and keep them up and to the point most can not afford to buy anything PC related.

I say this because of the way a certain group of people in the world want to change the world in the image as to what they want to have it as. This same group is also promoting that we the people won't own anything but we can have everything we need provided through services with subscriptions attached to them. This way we will use less and have less waste as well. I could see them renting us full computer systems with a subscription we pay yearly and when we no longer can pay the sub fee's they come and get it or we send it back.

Yes most likely tin foil hat moment here but I have seen their videos and this is actually the way they want to reshape some of the things we now take for granted. Maybe the retailers & computer parts makers like cashing in on the really good cash gains they are now seeing and never want them to ever go back down to where the prices should be. If you look at the likes of Nvidia & AMD you see them raising the pricing and now skipping the lower end stuff because they don't make enough cash on those markets any more to make it worth while for them to even try.

Supply and demand. The supply cannot meet the demand. The entire global supply chain is hosed. Everything from the raw materials, all the way up to shipping, is in chaos. China is currently experiencing an energy crisis right now, which adds to the problem. The fact is, these graphics card prices won't "go back to normal" for potentially years to come. Shortages are here to stay for awhile.

Pandemic slowed everything down and it's only a pandemic because we want it to be.

No, blame the people that are willing to pay over inflated prices!
If people would stop buying them entirely, prices would go back to normal levels.
You'll never convince every person out there to stop buying things at inflated prices unfortunately.

Companies will continue to gouge while sheep are stupid enough to line up for their products at any price. The money wasted on a a few extra fps in games is the definition of insanity.

Say what you want, nothing to do with mining, keep telling yourself it has to do with mining... believe the BS stories.... its all about money, sucking the ones dry who enjoy gaming which is about 30million people according to steam and other gaming stores, with 1/10th for mining
Show me who has 30million graphics cards mining, ill show you another bait click story of BS

The manufacturers want more money, and they don't want to ask investors, so they force gamers and miners to invest against their will... honestly, if you pay stupid prices you are a cancer in the gaming world, stop buying and force them to drop prices

AMD and nVidia are not telling the truth, because the truth is blatant and damning....

China (ie:CCP) is holding 60% of all dGPUs shipments... and hoarding them. China is telling nVidia and AMD that they are tied up at ports and shipping, but both CEO's know the truth. They are all being blackmailed by CCP and if they say anything, or shine light on actual reasons, instead of CCP's "shipping/port woes"...

There is evidence that CCP is actually mining on new cards, THEN reselling them as new, after 9 months of usage. Several now famous pictures of this. AMD and nVidia are not talking about this..... they are biding their time until FAB and assembly open up elsewhere.

Again, both CEO's of nVidia and AMD penned a letter to Congress, about "issues" and the need to open more FABs up in USA. So that consumer can not be manipulated by CCP.

Yeah you go right ahead and enjoy playing BF 2042 at 29-35 fps while the rest of us upgrade.

AMD and nVidia are not telling the truth, because the truth is blatant and damning....

China (ie:CCP) is holding 60% of all dGPUs shipments... and hoarding them. China is telling nVidia and AMD that they are tied up at ports and shipping, but both CEO's know the truth. They are all being blackmailed by CCP and if they say anything, or shine light on actual reasons, instead of CCP's "shipping/port woes"...

There is evidence that CCP is actually mining on new cards, THEN reselling them as new, after 9 months of usage. Several now famous pictures of this. AMD and nVidia are not talking about this..... they are biding their time until FAB and assembly open up elsewhere.

Again, both CEO's of nVidia and AMD penned a letter to Congress, about "issues" and the need to open more FABs up in USA. So that consumer can not be manipulated by CCP.

First time I hear of this theory. Interesting.

Retailer will continue to price these cards so long as people are willign to buy them. It took a friggin year of bloat before gaming PC sales finally slowed down. Lotta whales out there willing to fund GPU companies with rediculous prices.

Ive read an article stating if they don't they risk their position in the crypto currency market to other crypto currencies that already offer proof of stake and similar benefits. Proof of work only allows 12 transactions per second vs thousands of transactions. I will attempt to find that article if you want. If recall it was from Seeking alpha. Great read.

[HEADING=2]"Ethereum: Death By 1000 Paper Cuts" [/HEADING]

So there is chip shortage and u think the manufacturers of chips sell to vendors at msrp? wake up. its the chip makers boosting the prices at first place

Unless you don't have a pc or your video card dies on you, you're simply going to continue gaming with whatever setup you have now and maybe turn the graphics settings a notch down.

Those who might be hurt, are companies selling small custom PCs, that cannot get video cards for their systems.

The rest of us will just keep chugging along until the situation changes.

No, blame the people that are willing to pay over inflated prices!
If people would stop buying them entirely, prices would go back to normal levels.
While you do have a point, that applies to gamers or "regular" customers only, sadly. A miner actually won't care as much: paying double only means that it will take a bit longer to get even. For him, it is an investment, and if it takes 2 more months to get profitable (just said something, I have no idea), so be it. And thus he WILL buy the card at 80% over MSRP (what more, he will probably buy more than one card, drying up stocks even faster)

Mining craze is definitely a factor we can't deny in this mess. There are others, of course, but holding back your purchase (as I am holding back mine) will not solve this, it can't: it is simply outside of our cicrle of influence. What is out there, is everything but a free, functioning, healthy market where regular consumers can affect sales and profitability directly :(

Ok then, we should learn to enjoy what we have or find ways to get better hardware with lower prices, if we really must get a new GPU. For example, you can buy a decent GPU, like a 3060 in laptop, where the prices aren't so inflated as they are for discrete GPUs.

As an example, in my country people are used to buying second hand stuff, so I've just bought a lenovo ideapad gaming 3 with 4800h/1650/8gb/512ssd with 500$ in an open box, unused state. Desktop pc parts similar to this would take you to 2x the price.

I don't know if you guys have a short memory or weren't there during the first shortage, but we had that exact same situation in late-2017 till mid-2018. And the only reason for that was mining. Sure, chip shortage and the pandemic don't help with this one, but mining is still a big factor to this mess.

Think again: https://u.today/ethereum-20-merge-finally-activated-in-interoperable-devnet-why-is-this-important

2 scenarios
1 mining farms which are buying coal plants by the way ( have you seen the price of coal lately)
2 average gamer.
Which one is driving up prices?
Who wouldn't want all the graphics cards in world in one passive way to make income?

Back