Porsche Taycan Turbo S leapfrogs Tesla Model S Plaid to become fastest production EV at...

Humza

Staff member
What just happened? Porsche has set a new lap record for production EVs at the infamous Nürburgring-Nordschleife in Germany. The Taycan Turbo S, which blitzed the 20.8-kilometer racetrack in just a hair over 7 min 33 secs, was a standard production model fitted with a performance kit. This helped the Taycan dethrone the Tesla Model S Plaid that previously held this record with a lap time of 7 min and 35 secs.

The Nürburgring racetrack has been home to decades of vehicle testing and benchmarking, and a place where automakers continue to push the limits of ICE and EV models for bragging rights. The latest feat has been accomplished by Porsche, whose Taycan Turbo S four-door posted the fastest lap time for a production EV yet.

The Taycan's completion time of 07:33.350 min is just over two seconds quicker than its main rival, the Model S Plaid. Tesla's flagship sedan posted a lap time of 07:35.579 min in September last year, which arguably could have been even better if the driver wasn't holding on to the 2.1-ton car (and his life) with a yoke wheel, and instead had been given a typical round steering wheel.

As for the Taycan Turbo S, Porsche notes that the car was an entirely standard production unit. However, the EV still had to be fitted with a roll cage and racing seats to meet track requirements. Porsche also equipped it with a performance kit comprising road-approved Pirelli P Zero Corsa sports tires, which the company says have a racing tire-like compound for improved, stickier grip on the track.

The car's chassis was tweaked as well, with a software update for Porsche's 4D Chassis Control system, allowing it to work in harmony with the new tires. Given that this Taycan variant is a series-production car, Porsche says that its performance kit will only be available in Germany and only for 2023 Taycan Turbo S models. The EV itself began production in late July, while the record-setting performance kits are expected to become available by the year's end.

Permalink to story.

The video is pretty cool to watch. That driver has a pair and makes it look so easy. No engine noise, mostly just tires and wind. The cornering and acceleration out of corners is super impressive. However, its top speed is only 166mph, which must hurt lap time on the straight stretches. Just another supercar that I can't afford, but fun to watch.

Here the real record
1. Porsche 911 GT2 RS Manthey-Racing - 6:43.300s. Porsche is no stranger to setting lap records at the Nurburgring. The German manufacturer currently holds the outright lap record with its monstrous 919 Hybrid setting a scarcely believable time of 5:19:55s.

"Tesla's flagship sedan posted a lap time of 07:35.579 min in September last year, which arguably could have been even better if the driver wasn't holding on to the 2.1-ton car (and his life) with a yoke wheel, and instead had been given a typical round steering wheel."
Get a clue.

2 secs for that long track is nothing. Basically Tesla could be faster purely if winds was blowing in another direction or it does some more runs...

Yeah, I'd buy one if I had the money and won't even consider a Tesla, even if they give me one!

Beatiful car inside and out, don't like the "Turbo" in the name, it should have it's own, new identity. Tesla cars are uneventful.

Imagine the excitement of professional EV racing: drive several laps, pull into the pit, get new tires, and plug in to recharge. 30 minutes later, it's back to the track!

Enjoy while you can Porsche, and Tesla!

Something tells me that the Challenger and Charger EVs will rule the racetracks.
Imagine the excitement of professional EV racing: drive several laps, pull into the pit, get new tires, and plug in to recharge. 30 minutes later, it's back to the track!
Actually, we will see one battery quick change that will be faster than the multiple stops needed to add the smoker juice.

Enjoy while you can Porsche, and Tesla!

Something tells me that the Challenger and Charger EVs will rule the racetracks.

Actually, we will see one battery quick change that will be faster than the multiple stops needed to add the smoker juice.
Is that a joke or what ? Stellantis is clueless about EVs.

The article left out any comparison with ICs. For example, a Nissan GT-R set a Nurburgring record of 7:19. That was way back in 2013. There's a whole slew of IC cars that have gone much faster than the Taycan or the Plaid. That's not likely to change very soon. The problem is the massive battery weight and low energy storage.

Another thing. The Taycan Turbo S weighs over 5100 lbs. That's 900 lbs more than the claimed 2.1 tons.

I think articles on EVs should list the actual carbon footprint as well, since that's the entire reason for EVs.

But but but...think of the environment. Making vehicles that can go that fast will drain the battery
faster, which will require them to be recharged more often. No vehicle should be able to go faster than the speed limit, plus if they were in a car crash bla bla bla bla bla.
See how stupid that sounds? In the early 70's when the first so called gulf oil crisis, that was a similar thing when engines got to the 450+ cubic inch size.

There is not a single person here that is going to drive anything at Nurburgring so this whole story is a joke.

There is not a single person here that is going to drive anything at Nurburgring so this whole story is a joke.
I was on on Nordschleife, Nurburgring is the shortest part just for F1 (actualy, Nurburgring is part of Nordschleife)

But but but...think of the environment. Making vehicles that can go that fast will drain the battery faster, which will require them to be recharged more often. No vehicle should be able to go faster than the speed limit, plus if they were in a car crash bla bla bla bla bla. See how stupid that sounds?
I promise you. Many here knows how stupid that sounds.

I think articles on EVs should list the actual carbon footprint as well, since that's the entire reason for EVs.
So, then figure it out your damn self. It's not hard.
Wait...... You don't know how to do that do you?
Wait...... You didn't know that could be done did you?

And emissions are far from the entire reason for an EV. The Focus EV I bought to play around with has 18k miles since I bought it, and here is a list of maintenance I have done:

One AC filter which is not EV specific obviously, and I changed the battery coolant at 40k miles +\- which the manual says can wait until 150k miles. That's it.

And the 182 mile trip to Eureka Springs averages $4.90 and the last 65 miles I have to charge from a level 3.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, after I bought the little puddle jumper I took it to Ford just to have the entire system checked, which cost me $100.

Last edited:
2 secs for that long track is nothing. Basically Tesla could be faster purely if winds was blowing in another direction or it does some more runs...

They do more runs, not just one. All teams attempting records, especially factory teams, generally do a lot of prep work and do runs when the conditions on the track are as close to optimal as possible (for that particular car). Two seconds in racing is a lifetime. At 250km/h, 2 seconds means 140m distance.

I have no doubt Tesla will go back there to attempt to reclaim the record, even by a second, and I hope they will reclaim it, so Porsche or someone else can have another go at it. And so on.

Competition should be welcomed not dismissed. It generates progress.

Last edited:
Back