Radeon RX 6600 XT vs. GeForce RTX 3060: Tested in 30 Games

Not sure why you felt it was necessary to position a newegg motherboard bundle as a "positive". Yes I understand it's positive relative to Nvidia prices, but it's still a scumbag move nobody should get.

Again I just keep repeating this on every gpu post at this point but it's true: Just don't get a GPU right now. Use what you've got already or get by with just an APU, I promise you'll find things to play on your back catalog just stop this nonsense.

Not sure why you felt it was necessary to position a newegg motherboard bundle as a "positive". Yes I understand it's positive relative to Nvidia prices, but it's still a scumbag move nobody should get.

Again I just keep repeating this on every gpu post at this point but it's true: Just don't get a GPU right now. Use what you've got already or get by with just an APU, I promise you'll find things to play on your back catalog just stop this nonsense.
The problem is: for how long should I wait to get a GPU? a year, 2, 10? There is no answer to that, and if nothing will change to the end of the year I will probably buy what's available.

The problem is: for how long should I wait to get a GPU? a year, 2, 10? There is no answer to that, and if nothing will change to the end of the year I will probably buy what's available.
Not saying that's not a problem, is just that the framing of the problem goes beyond hardware to me: Why is the assumption that you need a very capable GPU to have fun?

This is something not enough people question: why are newer titles coming out more fun or a better experience just because they look better? I'm not necessarily saying go back to a very crude abstraction like 8 bit or 16 bit era 2D pixel art, but go back 10 years in gaming and tell me what exactly is less fun about those games.

And again I'm not trying to single you out (Though I realize it looks like this so just clarifying) but to me there's just too much emphasis on the latest and greatest AAA titles and in no small part it's basically the enthusiasm about PC hardware in and off itself for example like Jayz2cents once pointed he actually doesn't really plays the latest and greatest games: it's just older shooters and such and he openly talks about being exited about building, overclocking and benchmarking the hardware itself as the hobby and not the actual gaming it's supposed to be in service of.

And that'd be fine under normal circumstances if you enjoy it and you can afford it, but if it's actually putting a huge strain on people who can't really stretch out a 200% price increase on many of the parts they need then people who just want to play would do well if they get out of the mentality that they need anything beyond an APU that can honestly give you PS4 level of graphic performance for the most part and a huge backlog of games to chose from.

Last edited:

Or if you must, try and get one at or close to msrp at launch day.

Personally, the 5500XT that was meant as a stop gap solution when I built the PC is doing well enough. When prices get back to sane levels a good 1440p card will be on the list but it looks like an XsX will come first.

Or if you must, try and get one at or close to msrp at launch day.

Personally, the 5500XT that was meant as a stop gap solution when I built the PC is doing well enough. When prices get back to sane levels a good 1440p card will be on the list but it looks like an XsX will come first.
Well I normally don't mention this as an option because of how unlikely it is for someone to get one but sure it works.

The only other caveat is that buyers of those deals should be aware of the circumstances: in the unlikely but not impossible event you need an RMA chances are you're probably will have a bad time with that, worst than even the already bad RMA experiences many have.

"AMD card has better performance and costs less but you should buy Nvidia because I'm a fanboy and I bought an Nvidia card."
Can't make this stuff up.

But you managed, somehow.

All I'm saying is you get what you pay for. Having to deal with the AMD GPU experience just to save a few bucks isn't worth the hassle.

All I'm saying is you get what you pay for. Having to deal with the AMD GPU experience just to save a few bucks isn't worth the hassle.

I don't think the AMD software support and feature set is worth that much for most people. Mind you I am not saying is *worthless* though it's clearly worth something to many people to have a tad bit more of peace of mind in the driver support, optimization and feature set don't get me wrong.

But is it really worth 10% more money for 10% less performance on average? I'm sure it is for you but for most people I don't think it is, specially when paying more doesn't actually guarantee you actually get your hands on a 3060 which remains harder to actually buy for most people than the 6600 xt so now it's 10 more money for 10% less performance AND having to potentially wait several weeks to actually get a 3060 at that price vs something that's potentially available far earlier.

Simply having supply of product kind of wins at this point. Mind you while this might be true for Australia and other places it's still the opposite on many others so overall the 3060 will still win but I don't think people will go out of their way as much as you think they will to avoid an AMD card.

I’m currently using an RX480 and I need an upgrade. The 6600XT is the only card available at MSRP and I’m not touching it. I’m never buying Radeon again after the appalling experience I’ve had over the last 5 years. It’s not worth the frustration.

I’m hoping Intel can pick up AMDs slack because I’m getting tired of AMD consistently failing. Nvidia effectively have a monopoly right now and their products would be a lot cheaper if they had any competent competition.

I still can't get over that dumb-as-hell Biostar cooling solution. It looks like someone just took the passive cooler from an old Radeon HD 5450 and stuck two fans on it.

But is it really worth 10% more money for 10% less performance on average? I'm sure it is for you but for most people I don't think it is, specially when paying more doesn't actually guarantee you actually get your hands on a 3060 which remains harder to actually buy for most people than the 6600 xt so now it's 10 more money for 10% less performance AND having to potentially wait several weeks to actually get a 3060 at that price vs something that's potentially available far earlier.
The 3060 is only more expensive than the 6600XT because demand for it is much much higher. Far more people want a 3060 than want a 6600XT. At the manufacturers recommended pricing the 3060 is a lot cheaper than a 6600XT.

It’s proof that people are willing to pay more to avoid AMD.

This is something not enough people question: why are newer titles coming out more fun or a better experience just because they look better? I'm not necessarily sayinh go back to a very crude abstraction like 8 bit or 16 bit era 2D pixel art, but go back 10 years in gaming and tell me what exactly is less fun about those games.

Actually most games from 10 years ago are unplayable today. Most good games from 10 years ago that are worth playing all had great graphics at their time. Can you name a couple of greatly received games that actually had bad graphics?

I for one would like to not have the geforce experience "experience" again. The radeon driver suit is more compelling to me, and it has less overhead to as a bonus. You dont always get what you pay for.

Until either of these cards can be had at MSRP neither are worth buying, and as previously stated, no video card is worth buying at the inflated price they are going for.

Actually most games from 10 years ago are unplayable today.
Do you mean due to technical reasons? I know some Vista era ones can be unplayable but not sure if that's what you were going for with the comment given the next bit.

Most good games from 10 years ago that are worth playing all had great graphics at their time. Can you name a couple of greatly received games that actually had bad graphics?

I'm not saying they did not. I'm just saying they haven't actually disappeared. If you scroll up in my example I said I wasn't advocating a very heavy abstraction like 2D graphics was. I said 10 years because I see games of that era like GTA V still being very popular: clearly people consider those graphics good enough: The original Borderlands, the first few Assassin's creed or Farcry games (Think up to 3)

What I am advocating is that we could enjoy very good gameplay without necessarily pushing forward in graphics. I'm more thinking about the game development advances like going from 2D to 3D enabled for example. Or having actual hard drives for game storage instead of optic media only, things of that nature are quite transformative, whereas an ultra realistic texture and super high polygon count isn't necessarily as transformative of different gameplay experiences, or if we can concede it can be, it hasn't been exploited to it's full potential in contemporary games as of yet.

Even VR and AR as much as I personally don't see the point is doing far more for enabling new gameplay and different experiences than ray tracing.

Until either of these cards can be had at MSRP neither are worth buying, and as previously stated, no video card is worth buying at the inflated price they are going for.

And to add to that, the more people buy at prices far above the MSRP the more they're teaching AMD and Nvidia to raise their prices 200% for next gen products anyway: if there's still unprecedented demand at those prices it means people can and will buy at those prices so why would they release at half the money for the next gen products then?

Maybe not the full price increase but I maintain that a huge bump to the MSRP prices for next gen is almost a given.

Actually most games from 10 years ago are unplayable today. Most good games from 10 years ago that are worth playing all had great graphics at their time. Can you name a couple of greatly received games that actually had bad graphics?
Minecraft released in alpha in 2009. It certainly had dreadful graphics. Although with the RTX update it’s potentially the most demanding game available today and one of the best looking. It’s also the most popular game of all time.

I don't think the AMD software support and feature set is worth that much for most people. Mind you I am not saying is *worthless* though it's clearly worth something to many people to have a tad bit more of peace of mind in the driver support, optimization and feature set don't get me wrong.
Tbh, maybe I don‘t know what I‘m missing, but the driver software suite is pretty nice and the built in recording functions are also OK. Now that there are several driver install options, I decided to go for the medium option (kid now uses OBS), I.e. the driver with gui but without add ons.

The card does what it‘s supposed to do, the software is hassle free (hw recommendations are stupid though) and…what else is there.

nVidia studio sounds interesting, but it‘s nothing I need and NAAF said it didn‘t work as advertised for him.

Either way, not sure what I‘m supposed to be missing out on.

I’m currently using an RX480 and I need an upgrade. The 6600XT is the only card available at MSRP and I’m not touching it. I’m never buying Radeon again after the appalling experience I’ve had over the last 5 years. It’s not worth the frustration.

I’m hoping Intel can pick up AMDs slack because I’m getting tired of AMD consistently failing. Nvidia effectively have a monopoly right now and their products would be a lot cheaper if they had any competent competition.

I see posts like this all the time, and always find them baffling. I just sold an RX-480 for more than I paid for it, and bought a 6600 XT at just over MSRP, at Micro Center. I would never pay more than MSRP, but considering what I got for my old RX-480, it was doable. My RX-480 was rock solid for years and years, as were the drivers. I never once had a single issue. And my new 6600 XT runs perfectly. And I once owned a computer business, in which I sold hundreds of AMD products, and never had a problem with any of them. I have to wonder what people are doing wrong, to have such problems with AMD products.

Back