Steam's most-wishlisted games reveal the titles we can't wait to play

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: PC gamers are looking forward to a slew of exciting upcoming titles, but which ones are at the top of people’s must-buy list? One indication is Steam’s most-wishlisted games, which contain plenty of expected names alongside a few surprises.

Sitting in the number one position as the most hotly anticipated game is Dying Light 2. The first-person ‘parkour meets zombies’ title has been delayed several times but is now set to arrive on December 7. There’s plenty of hype surrounding it, and what we’ve seen so far looks good. As noted by PC Gamer, this makes comparisons with Cyberpunk 2077 inevitable. Hopefully, Dying Light 2 will receive a better reception than CD Projekt Red’s RPG.

A somewhat surprising entry in second place is Amazon’s New World. The recent beta gained attention over its ability to kill some EVGA RTX 3090 cards, but that didn’t put off the hundreds of thousands of people who took part. The MMO's launch was also delayed recently, from August 31 to September 28.

Sitting below New World is Battlefield 2042, which is being given away in an RTX 30 Series bundle, while Back 4 Blood is in fourth. The latter’s closed beta attracted almost 100,000 concurrent Steam players, so expect the full release to be very popular.

Other names include Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 in seventh place, despite the numerous delays, problems, and confirmation that it won’t release this year. There’s also Total War: Warhammer III (9), STALKER 2 (10), Kerbal Space Program 2 (11), and Warhammer 40,000: Darktide (12).

Further down the list is Elden Ring (20), Atomic Heart (23), Company of Heroes 3 (25), and Frostpunk 2 (28). Interestingly, the heavily promoted Deathloop from Bethesda Softworks only managed the 39th position.

What PC games are you most hyped about? Let us know in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

I actually refunded my pre-order for Back4Blood. I enjoyed most of the gameplay but everything else was rubbish, the card system was rubbish, there's a massive delay between each level, the weapon upgrades are poorly explained.

New World I really enjoyed, that will most likely take up most of my time when it arrives.

Dying Light 2 also very much looking forward to, the first game was a lot of fun.

Battlefield 2042 I really hope is good, I've seen quite a lot of leaked gameplay and at times it does have that Battlefield'ness to it but I'm also seeing hints of CoD (sliding around for example) that just isn't needed. The reason I want to play Battlefield is because it's not CoD.

On the list of top 10 games, there are only 2 that I look forward to:
STALKER 2 and Dying Light 2

Loved all the STALKER games, I sunk 300+ hours across all 3 games, so I'm excited for STALKER 2. I enjoyed STALKER games enough that even though I have physical copies of all 3 games, I still purchased them on GoG.

I also loved playing Dying Light, even more so if you teamed up with one or two other people. My brother and I are hoping that Dying Light 2 will be as entertaining to play as the first.

The other 8 games listed are meh.

On the list of top 10 games, there are only 2 that I look forward to:
STALKER 2 and Dying Light 2

Loved all the STALKER games, I sunk 300+ hours across all 3 games, so I'm excited for STALKER 2. I enjoyed STALKER games enough that even though I have physical copies of all 3 games, I still purchased them on GoG.

I also loved playing Dying Light, even more so if you teamed up with one or two other people. My brother and I are hoping that Dying Light 2 will be as entertaining to play as the first.

The other 8 games listed are meh.
STALKER was fun once I paid attention

Remember when Halo, Counter Strike, Unreal Tournament were the best multiplayer shooters around?

We’ve gone a long way downhill since then. Battlefield2042 being the third most anticipated game on steam just shows the sorry state of the platform in 2021. Apparently more people want that than B4B?

Thanos was right..

Well, since Stray is again failing to materialize for another year, about the only thing I can think of that I'm now looking forward to is Back4Blood.

Wasn't quite sure based on the first trailer I'd like it, and I know it's not going to be a true L4d3, but after the beta I think I'm okay with that.
Card mechanic is a little cheesy, but I dig the load out set up, option to customize during the run, and turns out non shared ammo is a bit of a neat mechanic when it comes to survival coop.
Had enough fun with it that I'll end up enjoying it.

Oh, Forza Horizon 5 as well.
Never thought I'd look forward to a driving game (other than maybe a sequel to Wreckfest), but turns out FH4 is a good amount of fun, and I expect that 5 will be the same.

Learning that Dying Light 2 is built on a completely new engine was a relief for me.
I was one of the people that had massive slowdown for minutes at a time with the first game.
I mean when I played recently, going from around 200 fps to 10-15 in an instant.

NGL, I'm pretty keen for Far Cry 6, but with Ubisoft's crappy decision to go with Epic exclusivity for all of their launches the past few years I will probably not end up playing it for 13 months

No Steam - no buy

I don't know if its just me or the state of the current PC gaming, but at the moment there's only one game I'm planning to buy this year and its Diablo 2 Resurrected.

Oh and I totally agree with NeoMorpheus regarding MS GamePass.

I have over 2500 hours in Dying Light 1. I kept discovering new challenges. Like climbing all the electric towers in the countryside. Or cleaning out all the volatile nests at max level without dying. I'm looking forward to Dying Light 2.

Back