Paint.NET is jointly developed at Washington State University with additional help from Microsoft, and is meant to be a free replacement for the MS Paint software that comes with all Windows operating systems.Paint.NET is a photo editor and manipulation software.
Download notes: Alternatively you can download the latest stable version of this software.
The programming language used to create Paint.NET is C#, with GDI+ extensions.
Paint.NET has many of the powerful features that expensive commercial applications have, including the ability to use layers.
This is the second semester that Paint.NET has been a project at Washington State University, and we have the goal of adding as much functionality as expensive commercial applications provide, but of course, for free.
In the spirit of all this freedom, we welcome any suggestions, as well as provide the source code free of charge for anyone who wishes to tinker with it.
- Improved: The newly updated app icons should now look a lot better at 120 DPI (125% scaling) and 144 DPI (150% scaling)
- New: Layers -> Rotate 180 (thanks @null54!)
- New: Move Layer commands are now present in the Layers menu, not just on the Layers window
- New: Plugins can now use the UIScaleFactor class, which makes it easy to make decisions about DPI and scaling
- Changed: Settings -> Plugin Errors now shows up even if there are no plugin errors. This ensures consistency, especially with the newly asynchronous nature of plugin loading (otherwise there's no way to distinguish "no errors" from "not done loading plugins").
- Changed: File -> Open Recent now has up to 10 images (up from 8 )
- Fixed: Items in the File -> Open Recent menu will no longer get bigger or smaller when moving between monitors with different DPIs
- Fixed: "Bad" plugins can no longer ruin the undo system by rendering outside of the selection (thanks @BoltBait for helping out with this!)
- Improved: When many images are open, Paint.NET now closes significantly faster (thanks @Bruce Bowyer-Smyth for the fix!)
- Improved: Image thumbnail list at the top of the main window now reacts to horizontal mouse wheel or trackpad swiping
- Improved: The Text Tool's "Font Size Metric" button now has a tooltip explaining it
- Fixed a crash when running GPU effects (e.g. Black & White) on very large, very tall images (this was actually fixed in the alpha build 7000)
Software similar to Paint.NET Beta 6
Krita is a free sketching and painting program for creating concept art, texture and matte paints, illustrations and comics.
Magically Remove Elements From Your Photos.
- Free to Try
Speedy Painter is an OpenGL based painting software for Windows. It supports Wacom digitizers to vary size and opacity of brush strokes according to pen pressure.
More similar downloads