Use it to test your apps in a Firefox OS-like environment that looks and feels like a mobile phone. After installing it, go to Web Developer > Firefox OS Simulator to access its features.
Note: This download is an add-on for Firefox (only works with Firefox 16.0 and later) so we suggest you download this file which is a .xpi using that browser.
- Push to Device
- Rotation simulation
- Basic geolocation API simulation
- Manifest validation
- Stability fixes for installation and updates to apps
- Newer versions of the Firefox rendering engine and Gaia (the UI for Firefox OS)
Since then, apart from verifying and making the above functionality stable, other notable improvements are:
- Keyboard shortcut to repackage/reinstall/restart the current app – drastically improving workflow speed, especially for packaged apps
- Significantly reduced download/installation size of the Firefox OS Simulator
- Faster start time (partly due to above with smaller size)
- Much newer versions of Firefox OS and Gaia
- General bug fixes, making it more functional and reliable
- OS-standard ways in the menu to close the Simulator, with corresponding keyboard shortcuts (Alt + F4 on Windows, Cmd + Q on Mac, Ctrl + Q on Linux)