Do you often download files from the Internet? Is your hard drive crowded with these files? Have you ever asked yourself which files you have downloaded more than once? Perhaps you have burned files to a CD and retrieved them again? Do you want to find these files and eliminate the duplicates? Maybe you want to find duplicate files without checking your entire collection of backup CDs every time? Then CloneSpy is the right tool for you!
What can CloneSpy do?
CloneSpy can help you free up hard drive space by detecting and removing duplicate files. Duplicate files have exactly the same contents regardless of their name, date, time and location. Also, CloneSpy is able to find files that are not exactly identical, but have the same file name. Perhaps you have different versions of a file and you want to find all of them and remove the older versions. CloneSpy can also find zero length files. These are files that have no content.
With CloneSpy you can process files which
- are duplicates
- are duplicates and have the same file name
- have the same file name
- have the same file name and (approximately) the same size are zero bytes long
CloneSpy offers you a complete mechanism for determining which duplicate or same-name files should be removed. It is also possible to leave this decision up to the individual user.
CloneSpy can handle equal files by
- deleting redundant files
- moving redundant files to a specific folder
- exporting a list of all equal files without removing any files
- deferring file operations on redundant files to a batch file where you can apply arbitrary file operations
- replacing redundant files with shortcuts or hard links (NTFS) to retained files
With CloneSpy you can build checksum files from files on CDs (or even on hard drives, etc.) and use them to check whether these files already exist on your system. The checksum files will prevent you from having to play DJ every time you search for duplicates.
- Added: Files and folders that are ignored during scanning can now be logged (see Logging page of the Options window).
- Added: A new option remembers size and position of the Add folder window (see Priority page of the Options window).
- Added: The new command line option -s allows for silent scans (see the help file for details).
- Added: A message box now explains the Delete all (!) option on the Time + Size page of the Options window when that option is selected.
- Modified: Removed the entry Programme from the default folder ignore list (see Folders page of the Options window).
- Fixed: Hitting the space bar while a scan is ongoing no longer closes the scan progress window.
- Fixed: The context help now works for the edit box in the Insert mask window.
- Fixed: Corrected typo (spacing) in the Mode drop-down box of the Main window.
Apps similar to CloneSpy 3
All-in-one repair tool to help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including registry errors and file permissions as well as issues with IE, Windows Update and more.
Freeware system optimization tool that removes unused and temporary files.
As you know, the duplicate files may take up your needed hard disk space, because you may create duplicate copies of file stored previously in another directory or the applications may litter your hard disk with duplicate files or duplicate folders.