Microsoft's latest Surface Pro ad pokes fun at the Mac's Touch Bar

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Apple’s Touch Bar, the small multi-touch OLED strip that replaced the function keys on select MacBook models, has been a source of contention since its arrival in 2016. Enthusiasts and former employees alike have decried its use and now, one competitor is using it to poke fun at Apple.

In a new review-style commercial pitting the Surface Pro 7 against the MacBook Pro, Microsoft pokes fun at the Apple feature. “Mac gave me this little bar, but why can’t they just give me a whole touchscreen?” asks the reviewer.

Competitors aren’t the only ones that have criticized Apple’s decision to use the Touch Bar. In 2017, a former Apple employee captured headlines after complaining that the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar forces users to pay for a feature they may not want or need.

The criticism doesn’t appear to be falling on deaf ears. Earlier this month, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told investors in a research note that he believes Apple is planning to jettison the OLED Touch Bar in its next refresh and return to using physical function keys.

Microsoft’s commercial also highlights that the Surface Pro 7 has a detachable keyboard and is “a much better gaming device.” It’s also a bit more affordable when comparing base configurations, Microsoft notes.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

Touchbar was a gimmick. Pure and simple.

Think is, Apple could build a mac with a virtual keyboard (second display) like the Lenovo Yoga, and it would still sell.

TBH well all, who tried it or just watched it in action, know it's a pretty useless gimmick that hurts the "shortcut ergonomy and reliability", BUT when M$ makes fun of something it does not really feel right, because M$ is probably the best case of deserved mockery when it comes to tech and software.

For example Microsoft Surface Pro X ... you can laugh now ... or cry like I do, when someone mentions this buried potential.

TBH well all, who tried it or just watched it in action, know it's a pretty useless gimmick that hurts the "shortcut ergonomy and reliability", BUT when M$ makes fun of something it does not really feel right, because M$ is probably the best case of deserved mockery when it comes to tech and software.

For example Microsoft Surface Pro X ... you can laugh now ... or cry like I do, when someone mentions this buried potential.
I think, the intention with the Surface X is extremely obvious. It's there to both push Intel/AMD to improve how standby power saving works on mobile x86. It's also there to ensure no one will think Microsoft's plan is to recreate the netbook category, this time with ARM, by using the most expensive display/components for it.

We'll see in a year or three if it pays off. At the moment, there is no reason to get an ARM PC, unless you only plan to use it for casual things. Because it doesn't cost much to build an x86 device with proper graphics power and expansion options.

I mean, if you need the touch capabilities, sure. Other than that, the Macbook Air M1 trounces all over the Surface Pro 7.
Since the Surface is a tablet, first and foremost, if you didn't need touch capabilities, you'd be an absolute fool to buy it...

But if you DO require touch capabilities, it's hard to find a device better.

Like how the Zune music streaming service was light years ahead of the rest of the music industry, and the UI on the Zune HD was twisted and warped into the Windows 8/10 UI we have today. On the off chance Microsoft does get something right, they inevitably screw it up by either canning the project early, failing to market it to make it attractive, or trying to apply a well-received feature to platforms and services where it does not make sense.

Like how the Zune music streaming service was light years ahead of the rest of the music industry, and the UI on the Zune HD was twisted and warped into the Windows 8/10 UI we have today. On the off chance Microsoft does get something right, they inevitably screw it up by either canning the project early, failing to market it to make it attractive, or trying to apply a well-received feature to platforms and services where it does not make sense.

Yes, it's clear from their operating system market dominance, the ubiquity of their Office suite, the growth of their enterprise services, and their over all steady and inevitable rise of market value/capitalization over the last 30 years that Microsoft is really screwing up a lot. Just a totally unsuccessful company that barely gets anything right.

A teacher of mine once said in explaining how debate works, "if you can not defeat their arguments with logic, then attack their character."
Here too, M$lop can not beat Apple in software or hardware, so they attack them based on stupidity. M$ is the stoopid group that has more problems with their software, that keeps on failing.

A teacher of mine once said in explaining how debate works, "if you can not defeat their arguments with logic, then attack their character."
Here too, M$lop can not beat Apple in software or hardware, so they attack them based on stupidity. M$ is the stoopid group that has more problems with their software, that keeps on failing.
Perhaps you should do some research... Surfaces are making MS a boatload of money... and they outsell the iPad Pro... not to say that Apple isn't also raking in money hand over fist, but MS is doing quite well by any stretch of the imagination.

Perhaps you should learn to understand what is written. I said that Apple is better than M$, but it is true that M$lop out sells others, but not because they have a better product, but because M$ is a sales first, tech second company.

They are experts at convincing people to buy their product, but this excellence does NOT go into their tech skills.

Perhaps you should learn to understand what is written. I said that Apple is better than M$, but it is true that M$lop out sells others, but not because they have a better product, but because M$ is a sales first, tech second company.

They are experts at convincing people to buy their product, but this excellence does NOT go into their tech skills.
I think most people would argue that Apple are the masters of convincing people to buy their product... whereas MS relies more on the merits of their products.

That’s why the Surface sells... whereas Apple convinced people to buy iPads years ago despite their obvious shortcomings - although I will admit they’ve gotten a lot better recently...

I think most people would argue that Apple are the masters of convincing people to buy their product... whereas MS relies more on the merits of their products.

That’s why the Surface sells... whereas Apple convinced people to buy iPads years ago despite their obvious shortcomings - although I will admit they’ve gotten a lot better recently...
Besides not understanding what is written, you can not understand the terrible tech failures of M$lop compared to the small shortcomings of Apple.
You either work for M$ and get paid for pushing their shoddy second rate tech crap, or distinguish yourself in misunderstanding. Either way, you do not seem to be into reality.

Besides not understanding what is written, you can not understand the terrible tech failures of M$lop compared to the small shortcomings of Apple.
You either work for M$ and get paid for pushing their shoddy second rate tech crap, or distinguish yourself in misunderstanding. Either way, you do not seem to be into reality.
Feel free to provide some evidence for what you spout... I understand just fine...

Back