Sony's Horizon Zero Dawn gets August 7 release date on PC

Humza

Staff member
In brief: Guerrilla Games has released a new PC trailer for Sony's highly-anticipated Horizon Zero Dawn. The game's PC port will cost $50 and release simultaneously on Steam and Epic Games Store on August 7.

PC players are being treated to Sony's PS4 exclusives one after the other. There's Kojima's Death Stranding which is coming out in a few weeks' time (July 14) and now Guerrilla Games has revealed August 7 as the release date for Horizon Zero Dawn's PC version.

Rumors of the highly-praised exclusive arriving on PC were officially confirmed a few months back when PS Worldwide Studios head, Hermen Hulst, broke the news and some hearts for bringing a PS4 flagship title to the PC.

Thankfully, the game's PC debut isn't marred by any exclusivity deals as it'll release simultaneously on Steam and Epic Games Store with PC-centric features like support for ultrawide monitors and unlocked frame rates. There are also additional display and graphics options that players can tweak to their liking, as well as dynamic foliage, improved reflections, and detailed button-mapping options to bring down those massive metal beasts.

The game is a sizable 100GB download and has the following requirements for 'Minimum' and 'Recommended' configs:

Minimum

• CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD FX 6300
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 (3 GB) or AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB)
  • RAM: 8GB
  • HDD: 100GB

Recommended

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K or Ryzen 5 1500X
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6 GB) or AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)
  • RAM: 16GB
  • HDD: 100GB

Guerilla Games hasn't specified a resolution/fps combo or a similar preset, so some players might need to experiment with the game's built-in benchmark tool for optimal results on their hardware.

Some may also find the $50 price tag a bit steep for a three-year-old game, but for that price, they'll be getting the 'Complete Edition,' featuring hours of additional exploration with the Frozen Wilds DLC, a digital art book, and several in-game goodies.

With possibly many new PC players looking forward to experiencing the game for the first time, and some reliving Aloy's adventures, Sony might be able to convince a good number of newcomers to jump onto the PS5 bandwagon for the game's highly-anticipated sequel: Horizon Forbidden West.

Permalink to story.

I have finished the game on PS4 Pro and I loved it, I am really tempted to get it on steam, its actually cheaper than it is on Epic lol

Still a beautiful game on the PS4, and a fine game too. There's a bit of collectathon in it, but its not overstuffed like Ubisoft games. Should be a real looker on the PC.

This game deserves to be redone for PS5. I loved the story, but the PS4 graphics now looks outdated.

As for the Forbidden West extension, the only thing I don't like about it - the story is like futuristic Lord of the Rings, with orcs replaced by machines, but the overall sentiment is the same. They even bring in the same giant mammoths. Seriously, it looks like a ripped off and skinned Lord of the Rings.

Last edited:
I think this is a smart move by Sony, any extra funds just means they can invest the money into their studios for bigger and better games with longer development deadlines.

I have finished the game on PS4 Pro and I loved it, I am really tempted to get it on steam, its actually cheaper than it is on Epic lol

WDYM by cheaper? That 5€ discount? Epic Store has 10€ Discout. You just have to wait till 7th of August 2020 when it is released and you can buy it for 39,99€. There are no pre-order bonuses or nothing else so there is no reason to pre-purchase it only if you are already planning to buy it on Steam and you still didn't use 5€ discout like me.

WDYM by cheaper? That 5€ discount? Epic Store has 10€ Discout. You just have to wait till 7th of August 2020 when it is released and you can buy it for 39,99€. There are no pre-order bonuses or nothing else so there is no reason to pre-purchase it only if you are already planning to buy it on Steam and you still didn't use 5€ discout like me.

WTF, last night the price on Steam was £31.99 or £32.99 while on Epic it was £39.99 and now price on both is £39.99.....why didn't I buy it last night! : - P

This game is very awesome. Played it on PS4 Pro on OLED. HDR implementation is top-notch. Many wow-moments. Night gameplay on OLED .. jawdropping .. one of the best looking games I have ever seen. Can't wait to play Forbidden West on PS5. Might get it on PC, if I can transfer my save. It's going to suck to play it in SDR tho ... My PC have 1440p IPS 165 Hz ... Oh well, maybe I will hook it up to my OLED and enjoy the HDR too and ~100 fps when Ampere launches with HDMI 2.1 outputs. My OLED has 4K/UHD at 120 Hz afterall, can do 1440p at 120 Hz too so I might do that.

Love that there's an built-in benchmark tool !! Every big AAA game should have that.

Would love to see Epic's "PS5 demo" on Epic Games Store with benchmark tool !! Would be awesome.

Back