The 10 best games of 2022, according to Time

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Another year is nearly in the record books, and that's reason enough for Time to share its 10 best video games of 2022. These sorts of lists usually disappoint but it seems the publication might have gotten it mostly right this time around.

Coming in at number 10 is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge, a co-op brawler from Dotemu featuring side-scrolling action, a pixelated art style and voice work from the original cartoon actors. Shredder's revenge launched digitally on most major platforms, and Limited Run even did a collector's edition that's scheduled to ship in early 2023.

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga and Resident Evil Village: Shadows of Rose rank 9th and 8th, respectively. Lego and Star Wars are two of the hottest brands out there, and Resident Evil's newly launched DLC adds even more content to an already great game.

Martial arts game Sifu is Time's seventh favorite game, just behind The Last of Us Part 1. The former arrived in February for PS4, PS5 and Windows (and earlier this month for the Switch), and puts players in control of the child of a martial arts school's master seeking revenge for their father's death. The Last of Us needs no introduction – Part 1 is a remake of the original 2013 game that improves the overall formula for the PS5.

Cat simulator Stray finished in fifth place, but it's more than just performing basic feline activities. The game tasks players with using their skills to survive their environment, solve puzzles and unravel mysteries.

Fourth place finisher Elden Ring got off to a hot start with more than 12 million copies sold in less than a month (and more than 17.5 million as of October). Interactive horror drama The Quarry, the spiritual successor to Until Dawn, nabbed third place following its mid-2022 launch. I'm a bit surprised it finished ahead of some other heavyweights on the list but perhaps it's worthy.

Horizon: Forbidden West and God of War: Ragnarok placed second and first, respectively, and neither feels out of place here. Horizon Forbidden West currently has a Metacritic score of 88 and God of War: Ragnarok is ranked even higher at 94.

Here's a quick summary of Time's list:

• 10. TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
  • 9. Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
  • 8. Resident Evil Village: Shadows of Rose
  • 7. Sifu
  • 6. The Last of Us Part 1
  • 5. Stray
  • 4. Elden Ring
  • 3. The Quarry
  • 2. Horizon Forbidden West
  • 1. God of War: Ragnarok

Do you think Time got it mostly right? Are there any glaring omissions? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

I do not have any issue with this list but shouldn't a requirement of the "best games" at least be partial cross platform compatibility?

I get triggered every time somebody calls Stray a cat simulator. It's like calling The Last of Us a human simulator. Yes, the cat is the main character but that's it.
I concur. I l liked Stray more than I thought I would. If I had to cite an analog I would say "Cloudpunk" is the closest. Also a great story-driven game.

Horizon Zero Dawn was pretty good overall. Decent main story, great combat, maybe a bit repetitive. Big downside was character development, flat as f.

Horizon New Dawn, however, nobody talked about after the release. I got the impression the game was bland and mostly the same as the previous game. I doubt that deserves to be on the list.

Elden Ring was awesome, GoW Ragnarok was awesome. I never heard about most of these other games.

Time is a worthless RAG, good for one thing, starting a bonfire with it's crumped pages.

Oh, and game journalists will give out awards for anything that got released that year. They don't really have a criteria.

Hey look: more paid-for-promotions that just happen to be the biggest console ports of the year!

after being disappointed with the lack of depth in sonys first big exclusive (zero dawn), I've been avoiding the rest of these promoted-but-undeserving list

Elden Ring fourth place? Oh gods... And what's this "the quarry"?!? This is just... preposterous. And I'd have much more to say but I choose silence :-D

RE look like a walkin sim, very high quality walking sim.
I like it for that reason. The location in the latest game is stunning.
I recommend DLC too but preferably when it goes on sale. It is not very long.

I do not have any issue with this list but shouldn't a requirement of the "best games" at least be partial cross platform compatibility?
Why? And then, what platforms? Nintendo and Apple? PlayStation and Linux?
This selection of games is very good, and they are one of best games around. No matter what platform. What's the point of singling out a game because is not on platform 'xyz'. If someone treats gaming as a hobby, then the point of focus is game itself, and such person will have all platforms that plays games (s)he's interested in.

Why? And then, what platforms? Nintendo and Apple? PlayStation and Linux?
This selection of games is very good, and they are one of best games around. No matter what platform. What's the point of singling out a game because is not on platform 'xyz'. If someone treats gaming as a hobby, then the point of focus is game itself, and such person will have all platforms that plays games (s)he's interested in.

Not questioning the games just that they don't reach all or most gamers. That is why I said "partial" cross play. Being on 2+ platforms might sway the results. Best games on PC, Xbox or PS individually might make more sense. Or not...its all good. :)

Not questioning the games just that they don't reach all or most gamers. That is why I said "partial" cross play. Being on 2+ platforms might sway the results. Best games on PC, Xbox or PS individually might make more sense. Or not...its all good. :)
no worries;)
but trying to put some additional definitions and limitations makes that less clear. Reach most games? then only Android and iOS counts... you see, then we'd have to define: but not phone gamers, just small subset of couch gamers... and then we got nintendo DS and so on... and that discussion can last ages. Then we can say if it is on Xbox and GoG only it is not good! it have to be steam! :) but maybe MS Store on windows counts! but no, because it doesnt work on Linux, and steam works there well... so...

(some of) best games are above. It is good selections, enjoy.
I'm back to rimworld, gran turismo and war thunder ;)

If you read Time's article, you'll see that each entry in the list has the respective platforms indicated:

10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge
Available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, XBOX One, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

9. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
Available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, XBOX One, XBOX Series X/S, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

8. Resident Evil Village: Shadows of Rose
Available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, XBOX One, XBOX Series X/S, and PC. Nintendo Switch cloud version to come in early December.

7. Sifu
Available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Nintendo Switch, and PC.

6. The Last of Us Part 1
Available on PlayStation 5 and PC.

5. Stray
Available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, and PC.

4. Elden Ring
Available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, XBOX One, XBOX Series X/S, and PC.

3. The Quarry
Available on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, XBOX One, XBOX Series X/S, and PC.

2. Horizon: Forbidden West
Available on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.

1. God of War: Ragnarok
Available on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.

I don't recall The Last of Us Part 1 being on PC just yet, but it's obviously coming. The top two choices will eventually make their way across too. So, for the most part, Time's choices are quite multi-platform.

Horizon and The Quarry being higher than Elden Ring is a headscratcher. I guess they just don't like Elden Ring that much?
I think it means that some people simply dont like games like elden ring.
I personally do not play games of this type at all.

I think it means that some people simply dont like games like elden ring.
I personally do not play games of this type at all.
And I think that's fine, but you gotta acknowledge the artistry of it. I've only recently started it, but the craft that goes into the game is amazing.

If I'm being perfectly honest, only GoW:R and ER are really competing for the crown of GOTY, and not acknowledging that feels like ignoring Infinity War/Endgame because they don't like superhero films. Perfectly understandable to not like them, but I think deserves serious consideration nonetheless.

At the very least, putting Horizon above ER just feels weird, given Horizon's standard world design compared to ER's.

Back