PowerArchiver has been downloaded by tens of millions of users worldwide. PowerArchiver offers hundreds of features, yet remains easy to use, small and fast. Novice users will find a familiar interface complete with tutorial and detailed help, while more experienced users can take advantage of full Explorer integration, multiple encryption methods and advanced compression algorithms.
We are pleased to announce that PowerArchiver 2017 has been officially released after 8 months of public testing!
PowerArchiver 2017 is the most important release of PowerArchiver ever, due the to the new Advanced Codec Pack (.PA format). Advanced Codec pack features a comprehensive collection of filters and codecs that let you compress and extract various types of files at great speeds and compression ratios. It has been optimized for multicore processors and 64-bit systems. Unlike experimental archivers, Advanced Codec Pack is very easy to use and does not require any special skills – simply select PA format and it will do all the work for you.
- Two base modes: Optimized Fast and Optimized Strong deliver the fastest/strongest compression in the industry.
- Smart Optimized modes select the best compression/speed ratios on per-file basis, increasing compression rate and speed. In one compression scenario, PowerArchiver can use multiple codecs for different files/extensions! This provides much better compression/speed since we can target codecs better.
- Optimized Fast – fast compression modes with 50MBs-400MBs compression speeds, depending on files and strength chosen. Data deduplication features and compression stronger than zip format.
- Optimized Strong – Strong compression features at reasonable speeds even at Extreme level. Optimized for processors with 4 and more threads. Supports multicore extraction and data deduplication. Special coders for stronger levels delivering better compression than comparable options in competing software.
- PDF, DOCX and PNG compression – compress your PDF and DOCX (Office) files between 30% and 70% better than WinRAR, WinZip and 7zip. Also used for PNG, APK, ZIP and other files with deflate streams.
- FIPS 140-2 256-bit AES encryption – Advanced Codec Pack (.PA) is very secure. Not only we use FIPS 140-2 validated encryption components, we also apply special transformation filter that ensures that the data being encrypted does not have any LZ compression markers that could make brute-force attacks easier. We consider it considerably more secure than encryption methods available in ZIP and RAR formats.
- JPEG codec – uses Lepton compression for jpeg files, strong compression up to 23%.
- MP3 codec – Strongest and fastest MP3 compression codec on the market with full multi-core support. Better compression and up to 3x faster speeds than WinZIP MP3 compression.
- Special Deduplication filter – fast filter that finds similar data at 50MB/s speeds (single thread). Works great for similar files that have some similar data, for instance when backing up your office files, this filter should increase compression ratios significantly. Compressing Software ISO’s with deduplication filter can lower the size by extra 500MB compared to WR, WZ, 7-zip (Office 2016 ISO 2.25GB example), with super-fast compression!
- Special codec for compressing txt/html/xhtml files. Better compression at faster speeds, multi-core optimized.
- Special exe/dll filters – collection of special filters that improves compression up to 10-15% for exe/dll files. Super fast!
- Multi-core extraction – Most codecs have multi-thread support based on our mtwrap which automatically gives you multi-threaded extraction. This means that extraction is also fast despite use of advanced and strong compression.
- Custom compression profiles – Extensive support for custom compression profiles that let you configure 20+ codec options thus making sure you can setup special case scenarios that work the best for your own data.
- Actively developed in-house, with frequent updates and new future codecs, optimizations and more. Currently over 10 filters/codecs are transparently used at the same time depending on file and options selected..
Other PowerArchiver 2017 features
- Full 64bit support – for maximum speed and memory usage of the new .PA (Advanced Codec Pack). Please use x64 version of PowerArchiver when possible. Used for all compression codecs, improves speed and memory usage.
- New two-panel Explorer mode – Explorer replacement mode for powerful file handling!
- Improved ZIP engine – Improved speed of our ZIP engine, fastest engine becoming even faster by 10-15% on average. You can now control the number of threads used for compression.
- Improved 7-zip support – Multi-core 7-zip support in the 64bit version. Much faster compression speeds than before.
- Interface changes – The Classic Toolbar is now the main and only interface. The Modern Toolbar has been removed in order to optimize speed and memory usage. The Classic interface has been extensively improved with the addition of a navbar at the bottom to better navigate all the various features available in PowerArchiver 2017. Startup speed has drastically improved under any condition and it is by up to 2x-3x faster, depending on computer specifications.
- New Office add-ins – support for Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. Easily compress/encrypt/send without leaving Microsoft Office.
- Portable version – Portable 32-bit and 64-bit versions of PowerArchiver that can be copied to USB stick and used anywhere without leaving anything on users Windows installation. Full support for all formats including Advanced Codec Pack (.PA) and even shell extensions.
- Many other smaller improvements and fixes – Numerous small changes and improvements throughout the application.
New, Modern User Interface
Modern User Interface A completely revamped user interface in PowerArchiver makes it easier to access the wealth of features that PowerArchiver has. This task-based interface utilizes the same "Ribbon" design found in Microsoft Office 2007, and ensures you qick access to the most used features while not hidding others under layers of menus.
For those that desire the older look, PowerArchiver's Classic interface is still available.
Superior ZIP Support
ZIP Support PowerArchiver offers superior ZIP format support compared to other archivers. Here are the highlights:
- Support for unlimited file size and unlimited number of files in ZIP archives
- Support for advanced Deflate64 method providing higher compression ratios
- ZIP AES support (both PkZip 5.1 and WZ 9.0 standards supported)
- Fast and strong compression and decompression
- Multiple disk spanning, with support for unlimited span sizes
7-Zip is an advanced compression format featured in PowerArchiver. It is an open source format, providing an open architecture and high compression ratio. 7-Zip outperforms ZIP, ACE and even RAR in many tests. However, 7-Zip's greatest strength is that it is not controlled by any organization or individual, but by an open source LGPL project to which anyone can contribute. More information on 7-Zip and its superior compression can be found at 7-Zip.org.
PowerArchiver introduces a new Transparent Update feature for 7-Zip archives, which allows you to quickly add or remove files even if the archive is "Solid."
Multiple Formats Support Including ISO
PowerArchiver has native support for most popular compressed and encoded formats currently in use. All formats are fully integrated into PowerArchiver, so you can utilize all PowerArchiver tools with each of them.
- Read and write support for ZIP, 7-ZIP, CAB, LHA (LZH), TAR, GZIP, BZIP2, BH, XXE, UUE, yENC, and MIME (Base 64)
- Read and extract support for: RAR, ARJ, ARC, ACE, ZOO plus ISO, BIN, IMG and NRG disc image formats
- Brand new Plug-in System enables new formats and file types to be supported with a small download.
New Queue System (Add/Extract/Backup) and PowerArchiver Starter
An innovative Queue System has been added to PowerArchiver. This is the first time such an option is available in compression utility, and it enables you to better organize your compression, extraction and backups, as well as schedule multiple jobs to be done sequentially without slowing down your system - as multiple compressions would do if run all at once. Another first for PowerArchiver.
PowerArchiver Starter is a brand new system tray application for managing your Queue and launching the most recently used archives and backups. PowerArchiver Starter has been written in an assembler-like language for minimum size and memory usage.
EncryptPowerArchiver comes with an unprecedented level of security features. Not only does it fully support the new ZIP AES standard, PowerArchiver also offers its proprietary PAE standard for additional security with five different encryption methods. For ease of use, the PowerArchiver Password Manager will save your frequently used passwords so you do not need to remember them.
Full support for ZIP AES encryption, 128-bit/192-bit/256-bit (supports: PKZip 5.1 (full), Secure Zip 8.0 and WinZip 9.0 AE-1 & AE-2)
AE support - Encryption of files and archives using 5 different methods: Blowfish (128-bit), DES (64-bit), Triple DES (128-bit), AES 128-bit, and AES 256-bit
Backup Security vulnerabilities have become a major problem in Windows, which means it is critical to backup and protect your important data. With PowerArchiver's built-in Backup Wizard, it is a breeze to backup your files.
By using a step-by-step wizard, you will be able to add files and folders, filter them based on your specifications, use 5 different compressions formats, add password protection, and even upload your backup to an FTP or SFTP (SSH) server directly!
To keep your backups secure from prying eyes, you can also encrypt the archives using ZIP AES encryption.
Guaranteed Compatibility and Explorer Integration
Explorer Integration PowerArchiver has pioneered advanced Shell Extensions that let you compress, extract and encrypt files using one click from within Windows Explorer -- without opening PowerArchiver.
Not only that, but PowerArchiver also offers an option to use an Explorer-like interface for browsing your hard drive for archives, which also supports shell integration.
PowerArchiver adds new Hybrid Shell Extensions, which puts less frequently used options in an easy to access submenu.
For ease of use, PowerArchiver has Compression Profiles that store frequently used compression settings. You can select a compression profile when performing operations in PowerArchiver and save considerable time.
Multi-Extract PowerArchiver has the most advanced set of tools that you can use to manage your archives:
- Convert Tool - convert files among formats supported in PowerArchiver. It can convert thousands of files and folders at the same time.
- Encode Tool - encode/decode files in UU, XX, MIME and yENC formats.
- Repair Tool - repair broken ZIP archives with one simple operation.
- Write/Merge Multivolume Tools - split ZIP files into multivolumes, and also merge multivolumes into a single ZIP archive.
- Batch ZIP Tool - batch compress thousands of files into separate archives.
- Multi-Extract Tool - extract thousands of archives at the same time.
Apps similar to PowerArchiver 3
WinRAR is a powerful archive manager. It can backup your data and reduce the size of email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP and other files.
Free, open source archiver featuring volume spanning, authenticated encryption and compression in several formats. Supports 7Z, 7-Zip, ACE, ARJ, BZ2, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, GZ, ISO, JAR, LHA/LZH, NSIS, OOo, PAQ/LPAQ, PEA, QUAD, RAR, RPM, split, TAR, Z, ZIP.
7-Zip is a file archiver with high compression ratio.