Best Of: Computer Tips & Tricks Everyone Should Know

By on June 12, 2013, 2:49 AM

Many hardcore computer users might think themselves above learning new tricks, but there's always new things to learn that will help improve your skills. Our bet: you will find at least one useful thing here that you didn't know before.

Inspired and with the help of this AskReddit discussion, we’ve compiled some of the most handy computer tricks you might not be taking advantage of. Our ultimate goal is to help you become more productive by shaving valuable seconds off your workflow. Of course, you can always pass along these tips to your not-so-savvy friends and family members to help them become better PC users as well.

Read the complete guide.

Robot magician image by Shutterstock

Littleczr Littleczr said:

Another one I have caught myself using a lot is dragging windows all the way to the right side of the screen until a water drop appears and the window auto splits. Useful for 1440p single monitors.

misor misor said:

Lol 1, I knew some of the tricks.. .the other tricks I knew nothing about. I found the VLC fix handy on audio out of sync problems (is this also available on classic mediaplayer in k-lite packs?)

Lol 2, Game of Thrones series is a popular pirated material; I wonder why it is the example.

LukeDJ LukeDJ said:

Yes, that's exactly what I use private browsing for....

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Very nice article, I knew quite a few of these but not others. The window snap between different monitors is just what I've been looking for recently.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Who would want to use a cloud service; especially ones like google's or dropbox, after the revelation of the PRISM spy program?

Pretty good list although I knew most of them apart for some involving words and giving focus to the address bar in a web browser.

I just have one criticism about Win+M not being undoable isn't true unlike Win+D there is a separate shortcut to restore all the windows Win+Shift+M

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Stop automatic Windows shutdown

Such a shutdown happens sometimes after installing updates or / and a wrong mouse click... If you are downloading something or creating text, you would perhaps lose data.

... so how to QUICKLY stop the shutdown:

1. PRESS WIN + R

2. TYPE cmd + ENTER

3. TYPE shutdown -a + ENTER

If you did it a few times, you are able to do this in 2-3 s...

Solaris7 Solaris7 said:

Very useful article. Thanks! To quickly shut down the computer I just use the power button, which can be configured in Power Options to use the Windows shutdown function.

Nobina Nobina said:

I knew almost all of these tricks and I use them every day. Nice article. But doesn't watching Game of Thrones mean that you downloaded it, like illegaly?

avoidz avoidz said:

Not bad. I knew most but not all of these tips. Should stick this to the front page.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Nice. Also knew most of these, but are great tips for the less savvy PC user...

You don't need to run cmd. You can run shutdown -a directly from the Run dialog box.

Seventh Reign Seventh Reign said:

Who cares? If you dont want people to see your files, OBVIOUSLY, you shouldnt be using a cloud service. Dont be a *****.

lmike6453 said:

Great post :thumbup: knew most of these but there were a few that I found very useful thanks

Some useful info in there. Didn't know about pressing F2 to rename. Here's another one: to go to properties, instead of right clicking and selecting the option, simply hold down Alt and double click.

Knew most of this stuff, but I had no idea about CTRL + Shift + V, gotta remember that.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Start + 1 (starts 1st pinned icon on taskbar)

Start + 2 (2nd pinned icon)

etc...

Start + Left: Dock window left

Start + Right: Dock window right

Start + Up: Maximize

Start + Down: Restore if Maximized, otherwise minimize to taskbar

And my favourite command at the end of the day at work

Start + R > "shutdown -f -s -t 1"

stbecker said:

And my favourite command at the end of the day at work

Start + R > "shutdown -f -s -t 1"

At least for Win7, it looks like the "force" (-f) switch is implied for any time-out (-t) greater than zero on shutdown.

There's my useless post for the day.

JC713 JC713 said:

Great article, even though I knew 80% of that stuff. Thanks.

Tanstar said:

I just tried that (Win+M then reversing it with Win+Shift+M) under Win 7 and nothing happened when I hit Win+Shift+M.

Tanstar said:

Yes, very useful for me as I need that at least once a week.

wiyosaya said:

For renaming files, powershell is unequaled, IMHO, however, you have to take the time to learn it. My apologies for not posting a link.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Open the task manager directly If you want to bypass the interrupt that happens when pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL and jump right to the task manager, typing CTRL + Shift + ESC launches it directly.

I'm really surprised more people don't know this, even the people in our IT support department always use Ctrl+Alt+Del to get to the task manager.

HiDDeNMisT HiDDeNMisT said:

Yeah I usually use ctrl shift esc to get to the task manager

Do not use the god mode tip with windows vista 64 or you computer will be f***ed

Yeah, thanks a lot for not mentioning up front that Vista 64 has major issues with your "God Mode" trick. Windows explorer will "stop working" and go into continuous "restart". Rebooting into safe mode and trying to use the command prompt will be useless, since the screen will be flashing on & off constantly. Trying to stop the explorer process in task mgr is a major effort while it's moving up & down the list. Then you need to delete the "God" file, and it's registry keys. Loads of fun.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Right-click on taskbar, Task Manager is an option here.

Some useful tricks indeed:

* Ctrl + BkSp is new to me. Doesn't work in Notepad, though

* Ctrl + Shift + V for pasting plain text will help me greatly

Great Article! Learned a thing or two from the comments. Thank guys.

gregzeng gregzeng said:

Missing are the mouse shortcuts, which are the same in Windows and Ubuntu-type operating systems. Many of these will also work in my version of Ubuntu (Linux's "Zorin"). In Linux, we can keyboard map to match Windows keys, including the START-key functions.

Double-click on a work or file-name will highlight the whole word or file-name

Triple-click will highlight the whole line.

Double-click on a border of a paragraph of text will highlight the whole paragraph.

Triple-click will highlight predictably, but varies depending on the application and operating system.

Double-click on a border or Triple-click will highlight often highlight all the text in a 'box'. It can be similar to ctrl-A.

1 person liked this |
Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

My favorite is windows key + L. I do that about a dozen times a day at work.

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

It's also available in the context menu of the taskbar.

Windows + Right/Leftarrow will do the job. Especially usefull with dual-monitor setup

teribithia said:

Great post, many tricks I know but never take attention.,

So many useful tips sosso