The Cheat Sheet: All apps in one table
There you have it; we've covered the fundamental computing fronts out there with a nice mixture of applications (a majority of which are freeware) and where the commercial product still reigns we have at the very least covered a non-paid alternative.
You should now be able to browse the web and download torrents securely, watch or listen to almost anything you care to, chat with all of your buddies, keep up productivity for that deadline you're facing next week and preserve some form of maintenance on your operating system.
Here's a cheat sheet for your next fresh OS install:
|First pick||Alternative 1||Alternative 2|
|Office Suite||MS Office||OpenOffice|
|Adv. Text Editor||Notepad++||UltraEdit|
|Foxit Reader||CutePDF Writer||Adobe Reader|
* Italics denote a commercial/paid application
Have your own picks and favorites of your essential apps to install after a Windows reformat? Please share them with us.
- Ad-free TechSpot experience while supporting our work
- NEW Get a free copy of Superhot: Mind Control Delete, courtesy of GOG
- Our promise: All reader contributions will go toward funding more content
- That means: More tech features, more benchmarks and analysis